By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - France legalizes gay marriage despite angry protests

Do you want gay marriage in your country?

Yes, It would just be fair 241 58.78%

No, get the gay out of my country 102 24.88%

meh, I don't really care 66 16.10%

Total:409

Good for France. I'm surprised there was so much opposition to this, cause generally French are not very religious people.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
BradleyJ said:
fillet said:
BradleyJ said:

Yes. It does. Think it through.

No it doesn't, you think it through! :p

There's different groups of people in the world, there's several factors at play here. Most people if you ask them honestly will say that same sex relationships are fine and same sex marriages definitely aren't fine, but civil partnerships are fine too. Who are we to judge what is fine for others some might say? Well, we aren't ok to do that, but these are groups where the values are at stake for each group.

But those groups are allowed to judge what is fine for gay people? To those groups gays are less than straights, otherwise there wouldn't be any problem.

It's not that they are allowed to judge what is fine. It's simply that under the Christian faith and under what marriage is traditionally based on in a religious context then those marriages are null and void in the eyes of god, I would have thought,

As Torillian has pointed out to me though, I was simply arguing from the direction of the tradition - of course these days most people don't really think of the religous aspect however, the religious aspect did come before the purely physical union so many of the vocal Chrisitians would argue that we have no right to change what marriage is about. To some extent they are right but that doesn't change the fact that same sex couples deserve equal rights and an equal marriage.

Again, has previous post, bolded part that Torillian made, sounds like a much more logical idea. I'm not trying to push an agenda forward it's simply looking for a best solution that would satisfy most people.

Obviously the way things are now, it's neither here nor there. To many marriage is inherrantly rooted in a religious context and it would be very hard to please those people and keep the values and so forth. Think someone pointed out that marriage came before Christianity, that's news to me and if that's the case then it's ridiculous that Chrisitan vocal minority can be offended and feel that their religion is being abused/etc - I didn't realize that was the case at the time....will look into that as it's picked my interest.

AnthonyW86 said:
dsgrue3 said:
RCTjunkie said:
The poll shows a slight sense of bias.

Just because someone doesn't approve of Gay Marriage doesn't mean that they want them out of the country or view them as evil demons/lesser persons.....

Provide a compelling argument for disallowing gays to marry without using the terms "The Bible", "I feel", or "Jesus" and I'll entertain it. Otherwise you're simply using religious rhetoric to promote your own bigotry.

Actually the only compelling argument to be against gay marriage would be religion. Personally i'm not religious and i don't even believe in marriage itself, in my opinion it's just a tradition that a lot of people feel is an important part life. And although the real origion of marriage is unknown many people believe it did start out as promising eternal loyalty to one another before god. And in some peoples religion that can only happen between a man and a woman.

Personally i don't have any problems with gay marriage, but again i don't care about marriage either. More importantly though i feel that one group of people should not be able to force their will on others. If they are against gay marriage then they don't have to get married themselves if they are homosexual.

I too don't believe in marriage, i believe in two people falling in love and living together, no need for a pathetic ceremony that looks more like an obligation. but if people want to do this shit then they can't be denied for any reason, especially pathetic religion. luckily i can feel the times are finaly changing towards the real future.

I am against gay marriage because I believe homosexuality is an illness.

And no, I'm not religious.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron

jake_the_fake1 said:
KillerMan said:
jake_the_fake1 said:

I have no issue with gay marriage if it's done in civil courts and just recognized byt the state, but the state should not force institutes like churches to accept or wed them. Also gay people can stay away from adaption, poor children have suffered enough in their lives.

I say if gay people wanna have children let them procreate naturally like heterosexuals cuz I have no issues with this, the only people in my opinion who should be allowed to adopt are those that want to have to children, could of had children naturally but where struck down by infertility not of their choosing, these unfortunate people and only these type of people should be eligible to adopt.

Note: before some intellectually challenged person decides to call me a religious bigot, please understand that I do not believe in God, and his authority has no say in my opinion, my opinion is just that, my own.

So you would rather send a child to orphanage than to loving gay parents that would love him/her and give him/her a home?

No, I'd rather these poor unfortunate children have a loving adoptive family comprising of a man and a woman so that the child grows up not only in a loving environment, but also in a balanced home where the child benefits from both male and female attributes. As I've said before, these children have suffered enough.

Please keep in mind the childs welfare and mental state,  think of what happens in schools, kids are brutally honest, especially the younger ones, they will tease other children for absolutely anything but it's more hurtful when it's real such as children getting teased for being adopted, now imagine this child not only getting teased for being adopted but also for having gay parents, this child would be so mentally distraught that they could commit suicide or at least self harm. The thing is bullying/teasing at schools happen, I wish it didn't, but it does. All I am proposing is that we prevent this from happening as much as we can, by removing some of the elements, the child will be better off, again these poor children have suffered enough in their lives, no need to add more misery to their lives.

This is not about gay people, this is about the children, I hope even gay people can understand this point, anyone who doesn't understand , that it's about the child welfare and mental state are just self absorbed, self centered, greedy people who should not be allowed to adopt children, gay or straight.

I do agree with you on the highlighted part.  Self center greedy people, gay or strait, are unfit to be parents.  However, I don't think a same sex couples have any less of a right to adopt than hetero couples.

I have news you are not going to like to hear.  Statically children raised in a two patents home with two mothers (in a Same Sex Relationship) have a higher degree of self esteem and success than in any other pairing. So if you just want to go by 'what's best for the children' it would be only placing them with female-female couples.  ( I don't think we should do this.)

You ideas about bullying are the same ones used against divorce in the 60s and 70's.  That the children will be teased and it's better for the parents to stay together, no matter how unhappy or under abuse, and have their separate lives and affairs.  We know now it was not a good thing.  Today with kids divorced parents are just something some deal with.  Just like some kids have same sex parents.

I think today Ginger kids have a tougher time of it.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
fillet said:
Marriage is a Christian ceremony that the bible explicitly states is for two people of the opposite sex to participate in. The bible explicitly forbids homosexuality so therefore same sex marriage is ridiculous and wrong.

I have no problem with same sex relationships and a civil ceremony of course I have no problem against either. I also have no problem with people in same sex relationships participating in a civil ceremony benefiting from state benefits that people who are married enjoy.

People who don't believe in god also should not be allowed to get married, by adding that into law and creating a recognized civil partnership for those people that gives the same benefits as married people then everything is balanced out.

I challenge anyone to explain to me why this simple explanation is wrong, it is not prejudiced, it is simply against the teaching of said religion.

As others have pointed out, Marriage is good deal older than Christianity. It was something they adopted.

Also, it really depends on which Bible and which translation/interpretation you use.  Here is a Bible Scholar that discusses Christen support for Same Sex Marriage.  We do know that they have been going on, even within the Christian Churches, throughout the ages.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RnqOOcTWEKk

But I want you to think about his point.  Medicine and medical care is older then Christianity too.  There are many religious hospitals - so they could argue that medicine comes from God.  So then is medical care a religious instruction?  Should it only be available to people that believe in whatever God or Gods that the Hospital approves?

Also, a word of caution, when you say someone or something is less than what others have you can, in effect, dehumanize people.  When women didn’t have the right to vote, own land, or work, they were legally less than me – and were often poorly treated –often as property.  Here in the State of Washington, USA, were same sex marriage is legal, an Iman is receiving death threats for performing a Muslim same sex marriage. 

Perform marriage shouldn't equal recieve death threats.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Because the right to vote was so HORRIBLY degraded by letting women do it... /sarcasm.

The people opposing gay marriage now are set to go down in history as the same as those who opposed interracial marriage back in the day.

Zappykins said:
fillet said:
Marriage is a Christian ceremony that the bible explicitly states is for two people of the opposite sex to participate in. The bible explicitly forbids homosexuality so therefore same sex marriage is ridiculous and wrong.

I have no problem with same sex relationships and a civil ceremony of course I have no problem against either. I also have no problem with people in same sex relationships participating in a civil ceremony benefiting from state benefits that people who are married enjoy.

People who don't believe in god also should not be allowed to get married, by adding that into law and creating a recognized civil partnership for those people that gives the same benefits as married people then everything is balanced out.

I challenge anyone to explain to me why this simple explanation is wrong, it is not prejudiced, it is simply against the teaching of said religion.

As others have pointed out, Marriage is good deal older than Christianity. It was something they adopted.

Also, it really depends on which Bible and which translation/interpretation you use.  Here is a Bible Scholar that discusses Christen support for Same Sex Marriage.  We do know that they have been going on, even within the Christian Churches, throughout the ages.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RnqOOcTWEKk

But I want you to think about his point.  Medicine and medical care is older then Christianity too.  There are many religious hospitals - so they could argue that medicine comes from God.  So then is medical care a religious instruction?  Should it only be available to people that believe in whatever God or Gods that the Hospital approves?

Also, a word of caution, when you say someone or something is less than what others have you can, in effect, dehumanize people.  When women didn’t have the right to vote, own land, or work, they were legally less than me – and were often poorly treated –often as property.  Here in the State of Washington, USA, were same sex marriage is legal, an Iman is receiving death threats for performing a Muslim same sex marriage. 

Perform marriage shouldn't equal recieve death threats.

I do have a habbit of sometimes being very clinical when it comes to discussing problems/issues/direction. It serves me well in a face to face situation, but defo can come across hard on forums. Shouldn't really have put things so directly but was doing so in the interest more of clarity than anything, I certainly don't think in those black and white ways on this and from a personal perspective definitely agree with you. I wasn't actually aware that marriage existed before Chrstianity until this thread and after reading Torillians post and another one after decided to look it up so it basically null and voided (as does your post) my previous argument and the people complaining from a religous perspective really don't have a leg to stand on.

I could understand an argument from the religious groups wishing same sex marriage not to be carried out in a church or by a practising religious person possibly, there's certainly a valid dicussion to be had there imo but as said, my previous comment came from ignorance on my part and have spent the last hour looking up this stuff only to find that religion and marriage are too completely seperate things going back and it's only been relatively recently that the Christianity has taken "ownership" of it in countries like the UK where I reside.

Quite interesting nonetheless, I'm no genius but certainly wasn't aware of this or made aware of this before this thread, which in itself is wrong because lay persons like myself might be lead to argue from a totally incorrect perspective. I guess we know who to blame for that, obviously my own ignorance isn't wholly excused but hey ho good to learn a thing or two every now and again :) Cheers.

fillet said:

Dude, seriously! This is why we Christians get a bad name. Read some texts from anything written BC. Christian marriage is just one of the main types of marriage.

Edit. Never mind. Glad you got informed

DarthVolod said:

Gay or straight, I can't understand why you would ever want to get married. The whole thing is really absurd in my opinion at least by its current legal definition. Maybe divorce laws are less harsh in France (doubt it) but I don't know. Marriage should be no different than joining a club, a local sports team, a fraternal organization ect. ect. You agree to join together for life or whatever, and you have your ceremony and then go on with your business without the lawyers involved.

The government should stay out of my love life ... and my life in general while we are at it.

you havent heard of tax? and having the rights to be in your wife or husband if they were in an accident????? you have no idea why we want to practice marriage.... most of the time we cant adopt because we are consider as "single" because we can never be married in other states....