By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - France legalizes gay marriage despite angry protests

Do you want gay marriage in your country?

Yes, It would just be fair 241 58.78%

No, get the gay out of my country 102 24.88%

meh, I don't really care 66 16.10%

Total:409

People who are gay should have the same rights as straight people, anything less is a crime.

Around the Network
naruball said:
fillet said:
Marriage is a Christian ceremony that the bible explicitly states is for two people of the opposite sex to participate in. The bible explicitly forbids homosexuality so therefore same sex marriage is ridiculous and wrong.

I have no problem with same sex relationships and a civil ceremony of course I have no problem against either. I also have no problem with people in same sex relationships participating in a civil ceremony benefiting from state benefits that people who are married enjoy.

People who don't believe in god also should not be allowed to get married, by adding that into law and creating a recognized civil partnership for those people that gives the same benefits as married people then everything is balanced out.

I challenge anyone to explain to me why this simple explanation is wrong, it is not prejudiced, it is simply against the teaching of said religion.

Dude, seriously! This is why we Christians get a bad name. Read some texts from anything written BC. Christian marriage is just one of the main types of marriage.

Edit. Never mind. Glad you got informed

I have been informed but very confused as to what the problem is with these people protesting, why do they feel they have the justification to do so? Also, why would I believe that all marriage is Christian based in christian society, I'm not religious but I'm by no means below average intelligence, went to school and take an interest in what's going on etc etc etc, but if I have this view before reading up on it, it could well explain why so many people are against it. I mean surely the only real problem anyone could have with it if they accept that same sex relationship is ok, is that it conflicts with Christian teachings, there's not really any other reason that anyone can come up with as to why it shouldn't be allowed (marriage)?

What's your opinion?

THREE THINGS

1. The concept of Marriage pre-dates recorded History. Let alone Christianity...

2. Homosexuality as well pre-dates recorder History. So they're always going to be around and always have been, deal with it. You can't pretend that it's not natural, or worse, that they don't deserve the same human rights.

3. In fact, in smart spirituality (ie. when you know about the Essenians reading of Jesus teachings) it has never been about the "ceremony of union between a man and a woman in a church" but the sacred union of a feminine energy and masculine energy that are complementary, and as you may now in a gay or lesbian couple there is always the one who is more inclined to have the masculine role and the other, the feminine.

I feel that someone's religion shouldn't control who can marry and who can't. Sometimes people of religion scream for freedom to worship how they want and in the same breath condemn gay people and them wanting to marry the person they love. That to me seems somewhat double standard and wrong.

dukerx2 said:
People who are gay should have the same rights as straight people, anything less is a crime.

Forgive me for saying this but AMEN!!

Around the Network

Most religions are based on the socially conservative bigoted views that oppose homosexuality. Thank god religion is becoming irrelevant in modern society and views are changing.

fillet said:
Marriage is a Christian ceremony that the bible explicitly states is for two people of the opposite sex to participate in. The bible explicitly forbids homosexuality so therefore same sex marriage is ridiculous and wrong.

I have no problem with same sex relationships and a civil ceremony of course I have no problem against either. I also have no problem with people in same sex relationships participating in a civil ceremony benefiting from state benefits that people who are married enjoy.

People who don't believe in god also should not be allowed to get married, by adding that into law and creating a recognized civil partnership for those people that gives the same benefits as married people then everything is balanced out.

I challenge anyone to explain to me why this simple explanation is wrong, it is not prejudiced, it is simply against the teaching of said religion.

Marriage is not a christian ceremony.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

OT: surprised France is that late to the party. I assumed since France was a developed, enlightened first world country, that equal rights for gays were the accepted social standard.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Faxanadu said:
OT: surprised France is that late to the party. I assumed since France was a developed, enlightened first world country, that equal rights for gays were the accepted social standard.

Agreed, and Germany, the USA and the UK have to step it up!

It's even in South America - they have same sex marrige even in Uruguay - and it wasn't the first country in South Amercia either (Parts of Brazil, all of Argenina and coming soon to Columbia.)

I understand it really wasn't contraversial, that the contraversy was sort of created by a former comedian, some USA sponered groups, and a political power.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

The most interesting part of the story is not the legalization, but the fact they did it inspite of majority of French stance on the matter.