By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - France legalizes gay marriage despite angry protests

Do you want gay marriage in your country?

Yes, It would just be fair 241 58.78%

No, get the gay out of my country 102 24.88%

meh, I don't really care 66 16.10%

Total:409
aikohualda said:
Zkuq said:
There needs to be to different "marriages": One (without the word 'marriage') for rights in front of law and no religious meaning, and one for religious meaning (with the word 'marriage') without any legal strings attached. Bam, we have a solution! If you're gay and it's really not a religious issue, this is the perfect solution. And if you happen to be religious and are against gay marriage, well, there's no gay marriage anymore and your marriage is purely religious! The perfect solution still!

The only case that I can quickly think of where anyone would have something against this is if they somehow consider gay people lesser individuals that should not have the same rights, in which case they should be ignored because there's absolutely NOTHING pointing to gay people being lesser people.

check encarta's new definition

Why should I care what a dictionary has to say about it? In practice, 'marriage' has a strong religious tone to it because of religious people and that tone isn't going away any time soon, no matter what more free-minded people might think.

Around the Network
fillet said:

Nothing wrong with that, but if things are to move forward and so nobody is offended a distinction should be made between religous marriages and straight up civil ones.

I'm not preaching some "this is wrong!!!" message. It's wrong from the Christian/Bible perspective and they will never be satisfied until the distinction is made.

It's a fact that many people see marriage as a religous event and god is mentioned in pretty much all marriages these days, even if the people getting married don't believe and marriages usually take place in a church in the UK and are conducted by a local vicar etc. Detach those things from it and you're left with a civil parternship and why should anyone who doesn't believe in god etc give a damn that the marriage takes place in a church? Has god mentioned? Is conducted by a vicard?

Surely most people wouldn't give a damn.

Can't have ya cake and eat it, and that's the reason that we have this problem with religious elements making a big fuss because people do want their cake and to eat it, it's just not compatible. Just like I kind take a dump in a female only toilet, "just because I feel like it". There's rules there for a reason and if gay marriages are going to be allowed then those marriages shouldn't be religous ones - by law, because they aren't part of the said religion.

I'm just talking about modernizing things so all get along really, I'm no faschist!

See though to me it seems more like the religious are trying to have their cake and eat it too in your plan because they'll keep the term marriage while everyone else has to come up with something else for the thing most people do without religion involved.  

I don't give a damn about where I'm married, but I do care about getting married and not just a civil union because the term marriage annoys the religious when god isn't involved.  Noone said that the gay marriages should be religious, and you can't force churches to marry people, but marriages are not religious by and large so as far as the government is concerned they can't distinguish those eligible and ineligible based on religion.  The churches can certainly individually decide who they do and don't want to marry in their church, but they shouldn't have the final say on who gets married under the law.  

I'll propose a similar plan, why don't we keep marriages as they are under the law and churches can come up with some new term to call their specific marriages?  The end result is the same, but I'm sure you won't like my idea just as much as I don't like yours.  

NintendoPie said:
BradleyJ said:

Yes. It does. Think it through.

I know what you're trying to imply. It's just not true. Just because some people think that Gay Marriage shouldn't be allowed doesn't mean that they think Gay people are lesser.

Please, think of the arguments against it and try to figure out if they paint Gays in a...less flattering light. I would be shocked if you can find any that do not, other than the whole nobody should get married argument.

fillet said:
BradleyJ said:

Yes. It does. Think it through.

No it doesn't, you think it through! :p

There's different groups of people in the world, there's several factors at play here. Most people if you ask them honestly will say that same sex relationships are fine and same sex marriages definitely aren't fine, but civil partnerships are fine too. Who are we to judge what is fine for others some might say? Well, we aren't ok to do that, but these are groups where the values are at stake for each group.

But those groups are allowed to judge what is fine for gay people? To those groups gays are less than straights, otherwise there wouldn't be any problem.

I have no issue with gay marriage if it's done in civil courts and just recognized byt the state, but the state should not force institutes like churches to accept or wed them. Also gay people can stay away from adaption, poor children have suffered enough in their lives.

I say if gay people wanna have children let them procreate naturally like heterosexuals cuz I have no issues with this, the only people in my opinion who should be allowed to adopt are those that want to have to children, could of had children naturally but where struck down by infertility not of their choosing, these unfortunate people and only these type of people should be eligible to adopt.

Note: before some intellectually challenged person decides to call me a religious bigot, please understand that I do not believe in God, and his authority has no say in my opinion, my opinion is just that, my own.

Around the Network

I never understood these protesters. If you are one of those, plz answer this to me. How does it have anything to do with you? You can still get married, it does'nt affect your life in any way if 2 dudes gets married. Why do you take the time and effort to take away something that does'nt affect you but could make some ppl happy? Why can't you just live your life and dont give a eff if they get married or not?

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

jake_the_fake1 said:

I have no issue with gay marriage if it's done in civil courts and just recognized byt the state, but the state should not force institutes like churches to accept or wed them. Also gay people can stay away from adaption, poor children have suffered enough in their lives.

I say if gay people wanna have children let them procreate naturally like heterosexuals cuz I have no issues with this, the only people in my opinion who should be allowed to adopt are those that want to have to children, could of had children naturally but where struck down by infertility not of their choosing, these unfortunate people and only these type of people should be eligible to adopt.

Note: before some intellectually challenged person decides to call me a religious bigot, please understand that I do not believe in God, and his authority has no say in my opinion, my opinion is just that, my own.

So you would rather send a child to orphanage than to loving gay parents that would love him/her and give him/her a home?

KillerMan said:
jake_the_fake1 said:

So you would rather send a child to orphanage than to loving gay parents that would love him/her and give him/her a home?

No, I'd rather these poor unfortunate children have a loving adoptive family comprising of a man and a woman so that the child grows up not only in a loving environment, but also in a balanced home where the child benefits from both male and female attributes. As I've said before, these children have suffered enough.

Please keep in mind the childs welfare and mental state,  think of what happens in schools, kids are brutally honest, especially the younger ones, they will tease other children for absolutely anything but it's more hurtful when it's real such as children getting teased for being adopted, now imagine this child not only getting teased for being adopted but also for having gay parents, this child would be so mentally distraught that they could commit suicide or at least self harm. The thing is bullying/teasing at schools happen, I wish it didn't, but it does. All I am proposing is that we prevent this from happening as much as we can, by removing some of the elements, the child will be better off, again these poor children have suffered enough in their lives, no need to add more misery to their lives.

This is not about gay people, this is about the children, I hope even gay people can understand this point, anyone who doesn't understand , that it's about the child welfare and mental state are just self absorbed, self centered, greedy people who should not be allowed to adopt children, gay or straight.

dsgrue3 said:

Lol wow. It's a bit late to say "I don't think marriage should be a state issue", it has been for hundreds of years. Laws don't simply go away because you are opposed to them.

Marriage is not a religious term. At one time it was, but since being recognized by law clearly it is not simply a religious matter.

It's pretty clear you are avoiding discussing your position rationally and are instead proposing hypotheticals which are impossible.

That's not a hypothetical  that is impossible.  Why is the government involved in people's personal lives.  Civil Union is the route to go, with 'marriages' being provided if you desire a 'religious union'.

Torillian said:
fillet said:

Nothing wrong with that, but if things are to move forward and so nobody is offended a distinction should be made between religous marriages and straight up civil ones.

I'm not preaching some "this is wrong!!!" message. It's wrong from the Christian/Bible perspective and they will never be satisfied until the distinction is made.

It's a fact that many people see marriage as a religous event and god is mentioned in pretty much all marriages these days, even if the people getting married don't believe and marriages usually take place in a church in the UK and are conducted by a local vicar etc. Detach those things from it and you're left with a civil parternship and why should anyone who doesn't believe in god etc give a damn that the marriage takes place in a church? Has god mentioned? Is conducted by a vicard?

Surely most people wouldn't give a damn.

Can't have ya cake and eat it, and that's the reason that we have this problem with religious elements making a big fuss because people do want their cake and to eat it, it's just not compatible. Just like I kind take a dump in a female only toilet, "just because I feel like it". There's rules there for a reason and if gay marriages are going to be allowed then those marriages shouldn't be religous ones - by law, because they aren't part of the said religion.

I'm just talking about modernizing things so all get along really, I'm no faschist!

See though to me it seems more like the religious are trying to have their cake and eat it too in your plan because they'll keep the term marriage while everyone else has to come up with something else for the thing most people do without religion involved.  

I don't give a damn about where I'm married, but I do care about getting married and not just a civil union because the term marriage annoys the religious when god isn't involved.  Noone said that the gay marriages should be religious, and you can't force churches to marry people, but marriages are not religious by and large so as far as the government is concerned they can't distinguish those eligible and ineligible based on religion.  The churches can certainly individually decide who they do and don't want to marry in their church, but they shouldn't have the final say on who gets married under the law.  

I'll propose a similar plan, why don't we keep marriages as they are under the law and churches can come up with some new term to call their specific marriages?  The end result is the same, but I'm sure you won't like my idea just as much as I don't like yours.  

Not at all, in fact that sounds like a much better idea than mine! I hadn't thought of it that way round, and it would certainly affect less people since as you correctly point out most marriages aren't based on religous reasoning.

I'm all too ready to be proven wrong and shown a different way :) Maybe it doesn't sound like it because of the way I post but that's not the case, appreciate the response and direct answer to my post.