By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - A Major Issue that Needs to be Addressed by Moderators

RolStoppable said:
Conegamer said:
Yeah, Id tend to agree with you on this one, but to a larger extent than what you said. Ive seen threads badmouthing certain groups because of gender,religion or interests, and not get banned or locked. Similarly, harmless posts have been.

A lot of this comes down to reputation. If you have been here a while, you seem to be able to get away with much, much more. And this is a problem I have dealt with first hand, if you guys are old enough to remember.

Fortunately, things have improved slightly, but not enough for my liking all the time, and Im sure most would agree. The mods are right 96% of the time, and I dont know if its because of inactive mods or lack of them for the growing community, but people seem to be able to get away with much worse these days.

Your problem was much, much, much worse than what the women of VGC are facing. They think that moderators not acting against perceived offenders is bad, but a moderator cleaning up conversations to protect an offender is a different level altogether.

Yeah, it really was pretty bad...but that problem seems to have been cleared up.

Then again, we have no knowledge of different messages that people may be receiving, of course.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Marucha said:

This kind of stuff needs to stop. Look at the second post.

It really comes down to discretion.

You may feel this was an attack on you/women, but the moderator(s) just saw it as wordplay. 

All you can do is report posts and hope the moderator(s) see your side of things. 

It seems, to me anyway, that the moderators see posts in a vacuum without much context, if any. It may be in your best interest to gather multiple posts from a particular person and PM a certain moderator with them to enhance your case against them.

Hi there, Marucha.

I read Galaki's post and honestly saw it as a a play on words or letters in this case. PMs looks a lot like PMS. I honestly don't think that he meant it in a sexist way and probably would have made the same response to me if I made a thread with that title. I'm sure that someone would probably make a joke if I had a thread with a guy named Semen or Dick in the title. If a woman were to do it, I wouldn't take it personally at all.

That being said, if someone truly were to say something sexist against you it would be moderated. I just don't think that this is the case here. It's just a misunderstood joke IMO.

One more thing. If you really want to get the moderators to help you out, I would suggest that you don't say that we "Don't care" in the future.

Also for the record, I have banned people for bashing religion and race before...

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Galakis post was good

The moderation on this site is pretty poor. It is very vague and contradictory with some moderators being rude and/or biased. I've seen better moderation, I've seen worse.

Around the Network

I think the OP is being far too hurt by absolutely nothing.

Just like amp316, I believe Galaki would have done the same joke had it been a male user that posted that. It was a play on words, nothing personal.

By acting all hurt against nonsense like this, you make it harder to recognize actual cases where people deserved to be moderated/banned.

There is a major issue developing in my pands that needs to be addressed aswell.

Wow, this exploded.

I'll just say briefly to the suggestion that we remove posts for which people are moderated: we tried that. It was so extraordinarily unpopular that we put it on the top of the list of things to be changed, and it was changed.

People like to see why a user was banned, and I can sympathise with that.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

kain_kusanagi said:
MDMAlliance said:
I honestly do not understand the OP because the example given is not really a good one. I would need to see other examples in order to be convinced that it is a real problem, otherwise I think that the females that are offended by these kinds of posts are being way too sensitive.

Talking about PMS in a way of a pun should really not be offensive, and even if it weren't used as a pun it has no implication by itself.
If used as a verb, it starts to get closer to offensive, but really not much more offensive than what many females would say about males if they were to generalize them.
So I really need a better example than what was given. Maybe I haven't seen it because most of the places I browse don't actually have these kinds of posts in it.

Why would you not finding offence invalidate somone who is offended?

I think it's good to define what it means to be offensive and to be offended.  In order to be offensive, there really needs to be some sort of intent and initiation, whether direct or indirect.  To be offended would be to have been affected by said remark and its intentions.  I do not see how you can be offended by simply making a statement about something.  It makes little sense.  It makes as much sense as a person who gets offended because someone mentions 9/11 at all.

You may argue that it wasn't just a statement and was a joke about something that can be stressful/painful, but the post given was barely even a joke.  It was a play on words and had no intent besides PM's and PMS consisting of the same letters.  There was no hidden meaning, and no reason for someone to be offended unless they were looking to be offended.  The comment was, inherently, not offensive.

MDMAlliance said:
kain_kusanagi said:
MDMAlliance said:
I honestly do not understand the OP because the example given is not really a good one. I would need to see other examples in order to be convinced that it is a real problem, otherwise I think that the females that are offended by these kinds of posts are being way too sensitive.

Talking about PMS in a way of a pun should really not be offensive, and even if it weren't used as a pun it has no implication by itself.
If used as a verb, it starts to get closer to offensive, but really not much more offensive than what many females would say about males if they were to generalize them.
So I really need a better example than what was given. Maybe I haven't seen it because most of the places I browse don't actually have these kinds of posts in it.

Why would you not finding offence invalidate somone who is offended?

I think it's good to define what it means to be offensive and to be offended.  In order to be offensive, there really needs to be some sort of intent and initiation, whether direct or indirect.  To be offended would be to have been affected by said remark and its intentions.  I do not see how you can be offended by simply making a statement about something.  It makes little sense.  It makes as much sense as a person who gets offended because someone mentions 9/11 at all.

You may argue that it wasn't just a statement and was a joke about something that can be stressful/painful, but the post given was barely even a joke.  It was a play on words and had no intent besides PM's and PMS consisting of the same letters.  There was no hidden meaning, and no reason for someone to be offended unless they were looking to be offended.  The comment was, inherently, not offensive.

Let's say you do bring up 9/11. No mal intent, it's a legit topic. The person you are talking to starts crying. It turns out they lost their father in the Twin Towers.

The human thing to do is apologies. You explain that you didn't mean to hurt them and apologies for causing them pain. That's what empathy is about it.

I don't go around trying to offend people, but I do sometimes anyway. I always apologies because I don't want to hurt anyone feelings and if I do it hurts me to have hurt someone else.

Just because you didn't mean to offend doesn't mean you can't offend. Explaining that you didn't mean to offended and apologizing for the misunderstanding usually goes a long way to mending the situation. Just because we are on the internet it doesn't mean we should act like inhuman jerks.