By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Stranger than fiction: Is PS3 about to win the console sales war?

do you think sony was aware of ylod?  i've had 2 of those and never a rrod.  and ms took better care of those with rrods than sony i can tell you that first hand  that argument is so stale.  every time i see it i wish the author fist punch them in the face.

you would swear ms didnt suck the last few years apres the rrod years.   its like thats all sony lovers have to live.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
Mnementh said:
theprof00 said:
sales2099 said:
theprof00 said:
sales2099 said:

Only this gen can the last place gamers act like winners.

I'm guessing you're referring to 360 gamers since they are inevitably the last place console... but yes, it IS fascinating.

But not today. So really, PS fans been counting chickens before they hatch since 2006. Sigh.

Just because other swimmers currently have more golds, we still know Phelps is going to crush them all in 9 of the final 10 events.

But we don't call him the winner of a race he came in fourth.

Not sure you got the metaphor. The consoles are still selling, therefore the race isn't over. You're kidding yourself if you don't think ps3 is going to pass 360. The only question is the timeframe. A fair few people here seem to think that sales past a certain point in time don't count. Perhaps you're one of them?

Ah, thats the angle you use. I agree, PS3 most likely will overtake X360, but it has not yet happened (according to VGC). So if I talk about the situation, I can only say as it is now, I don't have the ability to look into the future. This thread even assumes the PS3 will overtake Wii, something that is highly unlikely. So unlikely that ethomaz who says this will happen ignores my offer of a bet over this issue. So even loud Sony-fans don't really believe that it will happen. But at the same time they are talking about #1 (what they are not for the gen 7 yet and maybe never) or that people in 2020 will only remember the winner PS3. Do you get why people are often annoyed by some Sony-fans? Current situation is: PS3 is third, but nearly tied with X360 (differences are in the margin of error, so I see them personally as tied) and Wii leads by some amount.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:

Nice that you say that. Nice also, that you ignore my offer of a bet based on your own prediction that PS3 will overtake the Wii. Seems you don't trust your own prediction enough. And don't say you didn't see my bet-offer, I quoted you directly so it was marked in your forum-buddy. platformmaster took the bet in your place.

Sorry I have bad feelings with bets... and that is a too long term bet.

But I can make a bet with you... PS3 will outsell the Wii lifetime someday... what will be the rules???

badgenome said:
Yes, definitely. I'm only concerned that the continuing strength of the PS3 will doom the PS4.

I agree that biggest competition for PS4 will come from PS3. Far more than the PS2 ever competed with the PS3.

Lawlight said:
hsrob said:
Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
drkohler said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
i'm in doubt of Sony releasing PS3 in China.

The PS3 has been available in China for quite some time. it is sold through an official Chinese distributor. The price is so high though that the numbers are irrelevent compared to the black market.

Yeah, I don't understand where people get this notion that China is a big and vital market for consoles, its really not. Same goes for India. I guess people are thinking high population = high sales, an incredibly simplistic way of seeing things that reveals a complete lack of understanding of economics, markets and cultural difference. It was the same with the outlandish Wii predictions, "Oh, just wait till the Wii launches in China and India, it will be madness!" The Chinese market won't to much for the PS3 and even if it did, the results would be in, China is not like the 3rd world or super poor developing countries where the adoption rates lie half a decade or a whole decade behind the West. If anything, Chinese middle class, the most likely customers for consoles, will have the same adoptation patterns as Korea and Japan.

This folly needs to stop.

So, are you saying that the average salary in China, India or Brazil is the same as that of developed countries like the US, Australia or Europe countries? Because that's the only way to explain how someone can think that PS3 sales won't increase in those countries when it becomes affordable there.

Those countries may not be "big and vital market" but add all those smaller countries together and you get the console race winner. PS2 sold more than 25M in Asia (not including Japan) - where do you think those sales came from?

The average salary in China is still somewhere between a fifth and a tenth of what it is in developed countries so they are not going to magically hit some threshold in the next couple of years where PS3s will suddenly become 'affordable'.

However, due to high levels of inequality, it is already quite affordable to a small percentage (still large no.) of the population, and that number is growing every year but we're not going to hit some tipping-point in the short term which will result in PS3 sales taking off.  The system has been available there since days after the US launch for anyone who had the money to buy.

Furthermore trends in China aren't years behind other countries, they are months behind. It's just the percentage of people that are able to partake in all the latest trends is smaller.  Strangely enough by next year PS3 will be old news, even in China, and very few people will be interested in getting one, popular attention will move onto the PS4 etc. just the same as everywhere else, even if for many it's not realistically affordable.  China is very polarising in this regard, people either have the latest and greatest imported goods, or the ultra cheap Chinese knock-offs, a year from now PS3 won't be in either category.

Terrible damage control. Was the PS2 old news when the PS3 came out? Nopes. 1/3rd of the PS2 sales came after the PS3 came out. PS1 sales were around 70-75M when the PS2 came out. Anyone with an ounce of logic can see that PS3 will still well after the PS4 comes out.

Anyone with an ounce of insight would know that PS2 and PS3 situations are not compareable. People who want an easy fix this gen are doing it through phones and tablets and the PS2 was part of an entirely different market. It had a 75% marketshare for chrissake, it had incredible support, even after the PS3 launched and after hitting 99$ retail globally, it sold well all over the world, especially Eastern Europe and South America as these are the biggest emerging markets.

The fact that the PS2's installed base is allocated with less than 1/6 in Asia, counting out Japan shows that me and hsrob has it exactly right. For the record, that is about 15-16% of a consoles total sales in a region with over 4.000.000.000 people, it is truly a tiny market, especially when you consider the fact that Korea, Taiwan and Indonesia will be home to the vast majority of those sales. China and India are probably the least important per capita market for gaming consoles in the entire world, discounting 3rd world countries where 99% of the population are destitute, that is.

You should try to learn a thing or two before you call people trolls, laugh at their logic or otherwise try to impose your own on anyone. The fact that your feeble argumentation efforts lead to a ban really says it all. 

Around the Network

No, its still third.

Its not about the ammount of units sold at the eleventh hour but about the market share for several years.

PDF said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
PDF said:
2013: 10m $199
2014: 7m $149
2015: 4m $99
2016: 2m $99 discontinued.

I think 23m more console shipped is possible.

those pricecuts won't happen with the exception of the 2013. the next pricecut will likely happen in 2016, and the console won't be discontinued.

Yeah, I think you're wrong.  The only exception to the price cuts I see is them not having one in 2014 or having smaller incremental price drops.  If they don't they are being stupid. 

first you have to think about the financial situation Sony is in. then you have to look at strategy. just because PS4 is out, doesn't mean PS3 isn't in a strategic position, and can't be marketed.

price drops are all about timing, and Sony missed a huge opportunity by not droping price in 2012. 

Sony could cut the price to $179 this yr. and keep it that way till 2015-2016-2020 and then cut it to $149 then.

Lawlight said:
hsrob said:
Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
drkohler said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
i'm in doubt of Sony releasing PS3 in China.

The PS3 has been available in China for quite some time. it is sold through an official Chinese distributor. The price is so high though that the numbers are irrelevent compared to the black market.

Yeah, I don't understand where people get this notion that China is a big and vital market for consoles, its really not. Same goes for India. I guess people are thinking high population = high sales, an incredibly simplistic way of seeing things that reveals a complete lack of understanding of economics, markets and cultural difference. It was the same with the outlandish Wii predictions, "Oh, just wait till the Wii launches in China and India, it will be madness!" The Chinese market won't to much for the PS3 and even if it did, the results would be in, China is not like the 3rd world or super poor developing countries where the adoption rates lie half a decade or a whole decade behind the West. If anything, Chinese middle class, the most likely customers for consoles, will have the same adoptation patterns as Korea and Japan.

This folly needs to stop.

So, are you saying that the average salary in China, India or Brazil is the same as that of developed countries like the US, Australia or Europe countries? Because that's the only way to explain how someone can think that PS3 sales won't increase in those countries when it becomes affordable there.

Those countries may not be "big and vital market" but add all those smaller countries together and you get the console race winner. PS2 sold more than 25M in Asia (not including Japan) - where do you think those sales came from?

The average salary in China is still somewhere between a fifth and a tenth of what it is in developed countries so they are not going to magically hit some threshold in the next couple of years where PS3s will suddenly become 'affordable'.

However, due to high levels of inequality, it is already quite affordable to a small percentage (still large no.) of the population, and that number is growing every year but we're not going to hit some tipping-point in the short term which will result in PS3 sales taking off.  The system has been available there since days after the US launch for anyone who had the money to buy.

Furthermore trends in China aren't years behind other countries, they are months behind. It's just the percentage of people that are able to partake in all the latest trends is smaller.  Strangely enough by next year PS3 will be old news, even in China, and very few people will be interested in getting one, popular attention will move onto the PS4 etc. just the same as everywhere else, even if for many it's not realistically affordable.  China is very polarising in this regard, people either have the latest and greatest imported goods, or the ultra cheap Chinese knock-offs, a year from now PS3 won't be in either category.

Terrible damage control. Was the PS2 old news when the PS3 came out? Nopes. 1/3rd of the PS2 sales came after the PS3 came out. PS1 sales were around 70-75M when the PS2 came out. Anyone with an ounce of logic can see that PS3 will still well after the PS4 comes out.

Damage control? You mistake me for someone who actually cares whether the PS3 sells X number or not.

Logic can only get you so far when you are not in possession of, or choose to ignore, the facts.  You propped your argument up against China, about which you clearly know very little and to then suggest that PS3 is now in the same position that PS2 was at a similar time is just naive.

Is it possible for the PS3 to surpass 100 million, surely, but it is far from a certainty at this point.

Nice article, but I stopped reading here :)

"And an even more affordable new Wii Mini system has failed to pick up momentum, only managing to shift about 36,000 units since its release on December 7 across Canada."

Come on man, it's Canada! They'll release it elsewhere and it will have more sales. Not many more but still more.
Also the Wii will be marketed to more developing regions Reggie mentioned, so let's not put the cart before the horse.

With Sony I say it is possible...another price reduction or 2, more marketing a penetration is smaller places(not sure if there are many that they are already not in.) and continued support(as they have repeatedly said they would do) and I think they can hit anywhere in between 90-100 million personally. Not sure if they will pass the Wii but I do think they will get close to it.

Sony has done HORRIBLE financially and as a business with the PS3 no denying that. But as a GAMER I couldn't be happier with them, what they have done and what they have offered this generation. Plenty of great new IPs, great sequels to olders games PS PLUS is an EXCELLENT service. PSN has come a LONG way and is also GREAT for a free service. Yeah I don't like the way their finances look but as far as games and entertainment they have made me a very happy camper!

I will never understand why people feel the need to down SONY, NINTENDO, MICROSOFT. People have different opinions on things and like/dislike companies for different reasons. To each his/her own...why not just agree to disagree instead of attacking one another...WHERE IS THE LOVE LOL!!!

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23