By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Stranger than fiction: Is PS3 about to win the console sales war?

scottie said:
lol, no. Not going to happen. The PS3 is 23 million units behind a (slowly) moving target. The PS4 has already been announced, and it's not long (~7 months, barring delays) until marketing starts for it.

The PS3 doesn't have the install base to justify annual releases of sports games etc that the PS2 got.

They are wrong by the way with the "Wii sales dropped because it can't play dvds. That is rubbish. Wii sales dropped when games stopped releasing. The ability to play dvds or blu rays will not extend the PS3's life - it needs new games to avoid sales plummeting. It will have a good year this year, but Sony has moved most of its effort to Vita or PS4, and 3rd parties are shifting to the next gen too.

The PS3 will get decent sales from here, but not close to the 25 M+ it needs to outsell the Wii.

Poor members of the anti-Sony brigade - in constant denial.

Around the Network
Mummelmann said:
drkohler said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:
i'm in doubt of Sony releasing PS3 in China.

The PS3 has been available in China for quite some time. it is sold through an official Chinese distributor. The price is so high though that the numbers are irrelevent compared to the black market.

Yeah, I don't understand where people get this notion that China is a big and vital market for consoles, its really not. Same goes for India. I guess people are thinking high population = high sales, an incredibly simplistic way of seeing things that reveals a complete lack of understanding of economics, markets and cultural difference. It was the same with the outlandish Wii predictions, "Oh, just wait till the Wii launches in China and India, it will be madness!" The Chinese market won't to much for the PS3 and even if it did, the results would be in, China is not like the 3rd world or super poor developing countries where the adoption rates lie half a decade or a whole decade behind the West. If anything, Chinese middle class, the most likely customers for consoles, will have the same adoptation patterns as Korea and Japan.

This folly needs to stop.

So, are you saying that the average salary in China, India or Brazil is the same as that of developed countries like the US, Australia or Europe countries? Because that's the only way to explain how someone can think that PS3 sales won't increase in those countries when it becomes affordable there.

Those countries may not be "big and vital market" but add all those smaller countries together and you get the console race winner. PS2 sold more than 25M in Asia (not including Japan) - where do you think those sales came from?

Kyuu said:

Another one accuses me for shit LOL. You guys can talk all you want but check your own profiles and your game collections, you guys are the only obvious fanboys here. You don't have a single Playstation game while I played more X360 than PS3. And my profile picture is a character from Tales of Vesperia, which is an X360 exclusive and my favorite RPG this generation. So do yourself a favor and stop accusing me being a fanboy, or "upset that Microsoft had better marketing policies" None of that makes sense and you don't want to embarrass yourselves further.

I'm fully aware of Sony's messes this generation. But in my opinion, they provided far superior customer services. The money you spent on Xbox live, repairing your console, buying add ons and everything. I could buy hundreds of games with it. You can continue playing the Xbox 360 apologists, that's your call.

I'm fully aware Microsoft beat Sony in Marketing and profits this gen by a long shot. But this is irrelevant to the subject.

Assuming you were talking to me, I thought you might like to know I own all 3 last gen consoles.  The only person embarrassing themself is you with the above mini explosion.  I indicated you had a bias, that doesn't make you a fanboy and I certainly didn't call you one, its perfectly natural for people to favour one product over another.  I merely asked you to put that bias to one side and see both companies are in it for profit, nothing more or less.  Sony dont care about you, they want your money, pure and simple.  

Most people spent nothing on repairing their console as it was free under warranty, not so for all the YLOD victims though...

Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
drkohler said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

The PS3 has been available in China for quite some time. it is sold through an official Chinese distributor. The price is so high though that the numbers are irrelevent compared to the black market.

Yeah, I don't understand where people get this notion that China is a big and vital market for consoles, its really not. Same goes for India. I guess people are thinking high population = high sales, an incredibly simplistic way of seeing things that reveals a complete lack of understanding of economics, markets and cultural difference. It was the same with the outlandish Wii predictions, "Oh, just wait till the Wii launches in China and India, it will be madness!" The Chinese market won't to much for the PS3 and even if it did, the results would be in, China is not like the 3rd world or super poor developing countries where the adoption rates lie half a decade or a whole decade behind the West. If anything, Chinese middle class, the most likely customers for consoles, will have the same adoptation patterns as Korea and Japan.

So, are you saying that the average salary in China, India or Brazil is the same as that of developed countries like the US, Australia or Europe countries? Because that's the only way to explain how someone can think that PS3 sales won't increase in those countries when it becomes affordable there.

Those countries may not be "big and vital market" but add all those smaller countries together and you get the console race winner. PS2 sold more than 25M in Asia (not including Japan) - where do you think those sales came from?

The average salary in China is still somewhere between a fifth and a tenth of what it is in developed countries so they are not going to magically hit some threshold in the next couple of years where PS3s will suddenly become 'affordable'.

However, due to high levels of inequality, it is already quite affordable to a small percentage (still large no.) of the population, and that number is growing every year but we're not going to hit some tipping-point in the short term which will result in PS3 sales taking off.  The system has been available there since days after the US launch for anyone who had the money to buy.

Furthermore trends in China aren't years behind other countries, they are months behind. It's just the percentage of people that are able to partake in all the latest trends is smaller.  Strangely enough by next year PS3 will be old news, even in China, and very few people will be interested in getting one, popular attention will move onto the PS4 etc. just the same as everywhere else, even if for many it's not realistically affordable.  China is very polarising in this regard, people either have the latest and greatest imported goods, or the ultra cheap Chinese knock-offs, a year from now PS3 won't be in either category.

Wow I didn't think this thread was serious. People actually think the PS3 will pass the Wii? There is no way in hell it will. PS3 is selling worse than the Wii was last year. Come on people!

Around the Network
newwil7l said:
Wow I didn't think this thread was serious. People actually think the PS3 will pass the Wii? There is no way in hell it will. PS3 is selling worse than the Wii was last year. Come on people!

ROFL!!!

Wii sold 5,015,614 units last year... PS3 in less than three months already sold 1,293,084.

Wii week avg. last year: 96,454
PS3 week avg. this year: 161,635

PS3 is selling almost twice the Wii did last year without Holiday sales lol lol lol

ethomaz said:
newwil7l said:

ROFL!!!

Wii sold 5,015,614 units last year... PS3 in less than three months already sold 1,293,084.

PS3 is selling almost twice the Wii did last year without Holiday sales lol lol lol

Have you even checked the weekly sales PS3 has been behind 2012 Wii sales weekly.

hsrob said:
Lawlight said:
Mummelmann said:
drkohler said:
MARCUSDJACKSON said:

The average salary in China is still somewhere between a fifth and a tenth of what it is in developed countries so they are not going to magically hit some threshold in the next couple of years where PS3s will suddenly become 'affordable'.

However, due to high levels of inequality, it is already quite affordable to a small percentage (still large no.) of the population, and that number is growing every year but we're not going to hit some tipping-point in the short term which will result in PS3 sales taking off.  The system has been available there since days after the US launch for anyone who had the money to buy.

Furthermore trends in China aren't years behind other countries, they are months behind. It's just the percentage of people that are able to partake in all the latest trends is smaller.  Strangely enough by next year PS3 will be old news, even in China, and very few people will be interested in getting one, popular attention will move onto the PS4 etc. just the same as everywhere else, even if for many it's not realistically affordable.  China is very polarising in this regard, people either have the latest and greatest imported goods, or the ultra cheap Chinese knock-offs, a year from now PS3 won't be in either category.

Terrible damage control. Was the PS2 old news when the PS3 came out? Nopes. 1/3rd of the PS2 sales came after the PS3 came out. PS1 sales were around 70-75M when the PS2 came out. Anyone with an ounce of logic can see that PS3 will still well after the PS4 comes out.

ethomaz said:
newwil7l said:

ROFL!!!

The Wii sold 4.4M last year.

newwil7l said:

How embarassing for trolls to be making numbers up V_V

~Mod Edit~

This post has been moderated.

-Smeags