By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Stranger than fiction: Is PS3 about to win the console sales war?

pezus said:
Metallicube said:

For gods sake.. NO, its not going to happen.. And Sony did NOT sell 77 million either. But even if they did, the notion is just absurd. I'm getting sick of this same ridiculous topic popping up. I'll say it again to make sure it soaks in, NOT going to happen. Just make peace with it already, for yours and my sake.

Honestly, You're gonna get second, Sony fans. Is that not good enough?

Dude, I think it's pretty clear that you've been off again and again when it comes to predicting PS3 sales. You have no right to say stop to this discussion. Here, look at this thread: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=102249&page=1#. I asked you there if you get it now.

"Nah, I'd say 70-75 million MAX. 

PS1 only barely edged past the 100 million mark and it sold quite strong, for nearly 10 years. Sony can say PS3 will sell ten years all they want, but ultimately it's up to the consumers if that comes to fruition, and looking at the sales right now, it doesn't seem likely that it'll have the legs to carry on for another 7 years. "
I don't get how everyone seems to think PS3 will be this console that will magically sell strong for 10 years despite it selling poorly, while the Wii will plummet down far quicker despite it selling much greater amounts. 

Usually a console selling less indicates its life will be shorter and a console selling strongly means it will last longer, it is not the other way around..

Seems I got a stalker..

What's so off about the 75 million? It could still drop quickly, and probably will after PS4 comes out. If that's the case, it could taper off at 90 million. And I still don't see the PS3 going strong 10 years so I stand by that second statement.

Look at how many people were off about the Wii sales, yet it doesn't stop them from playing amateur analyst. I think I get to do the same.

I'm not going to bother arguing with you about this.  It's a ridiculous prediction, and I find it absurd that I have to explain something that should be common sense. PS3 is NOT catching Wii.
Sheesh.. I really really gotta take a break from this site..

Around the Network

@Metallicube: What this site needs is an ignore user button.

Seems I got a stalker..

What's so off about the 75 million? It could still drop quickly, and probably will after PS4 comes out. If that's the case, it could taper off at 90 million. And I still don't see the PS3 going strong 10 years so I stand by that second statement.

Look at how many people were off about the Wii sales, yet it doesn't stop them from playing amateur analyst. I think I get to do the same.

I'm not going to bother arguing with you about this.  It's a ridiculous prediction, and I find it absurd that I have to explain something that should be common sense. PS3 is NOT catching Wii.
Sheesh.. I really really gotta take a break from this site..

PS2 sold over 45 million after the PS3 came out, and it's still selling. The PS4 is not backwards compatible with PS3 games, so that will extend the PS3 life a little longer, especially after it drops to $150 and under and games can be bought by the bucketload for dirt cheap. The Wii is dead, it won't reach 110 million before it gets completely shut down by Nintendo. It's very plausible to estimate the PS3 can sell over 35+ million in the rest of its lifetime, all things considered, and effectively leave the Wii total sales number behind. The PS3 may still be selling by the time Nintendo is pulling the cord off Wii U.

thismeintiel said:
scottie said:
pezus said:
scottie said:

What a misleading post.  You honestly think MS is going to push the 360 as hard as Sony will push the PS3 in those markets?  Hell no.  Not only does MS not have the same size shipping network as Sony does, but MS is going to abandon the 360 after a year or two after the NeXbox's launch.  They are going to be focusing full force on the an uphill battle against the PS4. 

Your numbers are also quite misleading, as it's not hard to see why the PS3 has the smallest increase in Fifa when the PS2's competition didn't even make it past 25M units.  Or why an American Football game will sell more on the system that has a larger install base in America.  Of course, in a few years, it won't be in America where the sales will be coming from.  The PS3 sells the most copies of Fifa and Winning Eleven, and in the areas where the sales are going to matter most in the coming years.

Why does MS need to push the 360 for Madden games to sell in the USA? Emerging markets are NOT why the PS2 had a long life. Look up the numbers before you respond. 

You're just admitting that Madden is going to scontinue to sell more on the 360 (and thus push more 360 hardware) than PS3, the reason for that is completely unimportant.

And yes, the PS3 will still sell more copies of Fifa and winning eleven than the 360, but by a much smaller margin than the PS2's.

Honestly, think this through.

If an overwhelming majority of sales of madden, fifa, winning eleven and huitar hero sales helped the PS2 sell for 5 years longer than the gc and xbox (don't point out if I'm a year or 2 off, idgaf), then how many months advantage will the PS3 get from a decent majority of fifa and winning eleven, and the 360 having a majority of madden?

It seems that some people are still refusing to accept that the PS3 is still selling wonderfully well and on the way to pass the Wii. I wonder how those people feel about the Wii's lead having been cut down by 40% so far...

Around the Network

For those that not believe in PS3 Number One this generation.

1) PS3 to Wii gap Japan: 3,615,622 (Wii lead)

E expect the PS3 to outsell the Wii this year ~1m... so 2.6m at the end of this year... I can see more 1.5m in the next years... so at the end a 1 million gap is pretty possible.

2) PS3 to Wii gap Europe: 3,870,265 (Wii lead)

This is the best case for PS3 because PS3 is outselling the Wii by 3 million per year... so in early 2014 I'm sure the PS3 will be ahead Wii in Europe... after some year is possible to PS3 be 7 million or more ahead.

3) PS3 to Wii gap US: 16,891,665 (Wii lead)

That is really impossible even PS3 outselling the Wii over 1.5m per year... it is impossible... but the final gap can be close to 10 million lead for Wii.

4) PS3 to Wii gap Others: 1,545,215 (Wii lead)

That's another easy case for PS3... in the rest of the world the PS3 will outsell the Wii this year yet and start to make a gap to over 5 million at the end.

So using all my estimates we have...

JP: 1 million (Wii)
Europe: 7 million (PS3)
US: 10 million (Wii)
Others: 5 million (PS3)

WW: 3 million (PS3 lead)

So I think the final numbers for Wii and PS3 will be ~105m and over 108m respectively.