By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Stranger than fiction: Is PS3 about to win the console sales war?

Its gonna come close. Best 3rd place system of all time.

Atto Suggests...:

Book - Malazan Book of the Fallen series 

Game - Metro Last Light

TV - Deadwood

Music - Forest Swords 

Around the Network

Yes, definitely. I'm only concerned that the continuing strength of the PS3 will doom the PS4.

It's going to end up 2nd, ahead of the 360.

Passing the Wii won't happen, not with PS4 coming out.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

I think it's definitely possible. Sony has always been good about supporting their home consoles, which should keep sales momentum up. However, I think that the price will have some kind of impact with its sales trends after the PS4 launch. The PS1 & PS2 were both $100 or less, at least in the US, which is a price I doubt the PS3 will ever reach.

Extremely unlikely, though not impossible.

Id give it a 1% chance.

Around the Network

I believe it. $200 is a huge hurtle for a lot of people and it becomes a more impulse purchase. Not to mention the software will keep coming and keep it relevant. GT6 on PS3 will be huge for it if that rumor is true. Beyond will be a big mass market darling with the star power it's bringing. Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe should be on every late night show promoting it. If they do that a little I predict it could cross 3 million or 4 considering Heavy Rain did over 2 million with a smaller install base, no stars, and no advertising (hopefully that changes with the new firm). GoW and LoU will be big with the later being a new IP and will get zombie fans over the edge on PS3 especially because it will most likely be highly praised considering it's from ND, and that's just this year! They said they'll support it till 2015 at least with software and hardware will continue to sell long after that. I bet a lot of Americans pick it up now that word is finally getting out on exclusives and they can get most of the great ones for cheap.

I'll say 105m lifetime surpassing PSone. PS4 I'm thinking great things are coming if they price it right.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

i don't think so. you can't compare the ps2/ps3 situation with this one. ps3 did cost a lot which was a reason why many people bought a ps2 even with ps3 on the market. ps3 is down 35% or something this year and even with a lower price the difference to the ps4 price wouldn't be enough to push ps3 sales enough for some more years.

i expect that it could sell 100m but i think wii will sell few more millions as well even when sales are horrible for wii now.

If Nintendo completly stops selling the Wii right now, it will take the PS3 200 weeks selling at 130k per week on average to make 99 million. So I dont see this happening. For one that means the PS4 will do horribly. (ie The market choosing the PS3 over the PS4 during that time.)

It all boils down to marketing.

Can they make it? Probably yeah, Sony's good at supporting their own products.

crissindahouse said:
i don't think so. you can't compare the ps2/ps3 situation with this one. ps3 did cost a lot which was a reason why many people bought a ps2 even with ps3 on the market. ps3 is down 35% or something this year and even with a lower price the difference to the ps4 price wouldn't be enough to push ps3 sales enough for some more years.

i expect that it could sell 100m but i think wii will sell few more millions as well even when sales are horrible for wii now.

Wasn't PS2 $200 by it's 3rd year?  PS3 in it's 7th year still hasn't reached that price so I think they'll do great once they get down to it.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers