By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U Can Still Outsell Xbox 720 and PlayStation 4

I'm going to say no.

The whole appeal of the Wii was that "getting off the couch" and playing with grandpa/kid sister/mom etc. was so unique and different that it drove system sales through the roof. Then Nintendo hit the jack pot again by getting to fitness gaming first.

Wii U has none of that, it's just a regular console with a screen on the controller.

It will sell like the GameCube or N64, they can release all the Mario and Zelda games they want, it won't change that much IMO.

Wii U simply doesn't have the same appeal with casuals and there aren't many people even if they like Nintendo who are willing to buy one console for Nintendo games + mediocre third party support.

Around the Network

It is to early to tell anything about who is going to sell the most. We have no info on the next Xbox and only a little on the PS4. Once I see the good and the bad of all three consoles then I think we can tell who will come out on top.

I don't know man. It is early so I think we should wait, plus we don't know enough about the Xbox and PS4 yet. Let's see how the market reacts to them. Based on how things are going now one would be inclined to say something contrary to what you're saying, but then again ... Nintendo might pull a "Nintendo" and change the entire game. I'll get a better sense this E3 and later in the year, but so far things don't look good.

Playstation = The Beast from the East

Sony + Nintendo = WIN! PS3 + PSV + PS4 + Wii U + 3DS

The Wii U doesn't have the same driving force which is what sold the original Wii. People who didn't play games bought the system in droves. These people who purchased the system and within a week were done aren't going to go out and buy a Wii U. The only people who are going to purchase a Wii U are going to be either gamers or those that are now gamers because of the Wii.

However, the Wii U has competition from consoles that aren't the PS4 and Next Box. As Sony has done before with the PSX and PS2, they will drop the price of the PS3 after the PS4 launches and continue selling that console. Microsoft had no choice but to abandon the original Xbox, but if they were to do the same, there would be two cheaper consoles that the Wii U would also have to contend with.

Just think about it. Exclusives are a thing of the past. Do you think that while the PS360 are still selling that developers won't release Wii U games multiconsole? The PS4 and Next Box are coming out yet Watch Dogs, Diablo 3, and Destiny are going to be on the PS360 as well. When games for PS4 and Next Box are unable to be put on the PS360, those will be the only consoles they're on, but PS360/Wii U games are still going to be released multiconsole for awhile. I'd assume multiconsole releases will keep coming until they stop making a profit from them.

So gamers will have a choice. If you're a Nintendo fan, you might purchase a Wii U. If you have no loyalty and you don't own any of the consoles, you have a PS360 to choose from with an already massive library, or a Wii U for $100 more, maybe $50 if they drop the price as well. Against people who own a PS360 already, the PS4 might only be $399 and let's assume the 360 is the same. It's a much more powerful console of a system they already have for $50-100 more, and maybe $100-150 if the Wii U price drops by that time. It's not going to take very long where the new HD twins are going to share multiconsole titles and the same thing that happened with the Wii happens to the Wii U only because it's less powerful.

However, the Wii U won't sell like crap. The Wii U will still atleast sell to most gamers because the PS4 and Next Box are once again going to be the same system. Like the Wii before it, the Wii U will be many gamers secondary console. The Wii U just won't succeed like the Wii did as it doesn't have that casual audience to get the sales.

I think that it will be the PS4 or Next Box that takes the lead this gen and Wii U is in third place this time around.

We will see i guess, I hope it doesn't reach the mainstream appeal of the Wii. When the Wii was crazy popular, it seemed to me that Nintendo got lazy, especially in catering to core gamers. Hopefully this will show them that they have to work harder.

Around the Network

Outsell, maybe.
Be a better gaming console for core gamers, definitely not.

PSN ID: Stokesy 

Add me if you want but let me know youre from this website

3DS wouldn't be able to outsell Vita too... Well, we know what happened. Everything can change at any moment. Saying that "no, it isn't possible" is just not realistic.

maxnyc said:

No, it's already been confirmed that Xbox720 & PS4 will outsell the Wii U. Just look at the facts & with an unbiased opinion & you will know deep down in your heart that the Wii U will come in last this generation. I'm just simply stating a fact & that is not subjective & it is not opinion. Cold Hard Fact. The fact is, Nintendo lost this last generation with Wii & DS, totally got crushed by micro & sony, & the same thing will happen all over again. I mean look at how the 3ds is getting crushed by the Vita, & you will see that Nintendo clearly doesn't know what they're doing & will get crushed yet again. Nintendo should go back to only making hanafuda cards.

Looks like we have a time traveller on the forums.  Possibly from an alternate universe, too.  

Wow after only 3 or 4 months on the market people are already writing off the Wii U? I guess I shouldn't be surprised the same thing is happening with the Vita.

F0X said:
Initial thought: N-Magic's threads are improving.

I'm doubtful.

F0X said:
Final thought: It's possible. I personally don't expect the PS4 or 720 to light up the sales charts right away.

Yes, I don't see big sales either, but all they need is sales on the level of PS3/X360 to beat WiiU after a year or so.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]