By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony on a downward spiral?

Someone needs to remind IGN that it's still Nintendo's turn.

Around the Network

Firstly, HORRENDOUS ARTICLE!!!

The flavour of the software output is being related to Sony's health as a company!? IDIOT.

Secondly, the games that were popular (stupid little dragons collecting shit) JUST DOESN'T CUT IT ANYMORE. Sony's software output has ALWAYS been first class.

IDIOT.

Dr.Grass said:

The flavour of the software output is being related to Sony's health as a company!? IDIOT.

Secondly, the games that were popular (stupid little dragons collecting shit) JUST DOESN'T CUT IT ANYMORE. Sony's software output has ALWAYS been first class.

IDIOT.

Those little dragons collecting stuff still do it for me, and I'm sure a lot of people would love to see a comeback. The only pre-existing IP that Sony have treated well is Ratchet and Clank (arguably GT) and even that seems to have been forgotten about now 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Conegamer said:
Dr.Grass said:

IDIOT.

Those little dragons collecting stuff still do it for me, and I'm sure a lot of people would love to see a comeback. The only pre-existing IP that Sony have treated well is Ratchet and Clank (arguably GT) and even that seems to have been forgotten about now 

Yes, a comeback might be relatively fruitful.

But the PS2 pwned because of the direction it took.

I still say the article is utter horse-shit. And I'm not trying to defend Sony here, personally I do think they might be dying slowly. But the PS brand is NOT the reason for that.

People need to take their nostalgia-tinted-glasses off.

It wasn't nearly as great as you think it was.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
Some gamers spend more time looking backwards than forwards and I think he's one of them. Personally, while I sometimes think it would be nifty if they brought certain characters back, it's not a necessity. It's not something I must have as a gamer. Likewise, I don't really care if characters are realistic or cartoonish, as long as they fit the worlds where they exist. I can enjoy playing all different types of games with all different types of characters. That's part of the reason why I think Sony's development organization is better now than it's ever been.

Usually I'm a live-and-let-live kind of gamer. Personal taste is personal taste. However, gamers that always slag off on other genres and game styles really annoy me, even if they're genres and styles I don't enjoy myself. Part of the reason I stopped going to Destructoid (besides Jim Sterling) was Jonathon Holmes' constant harping on how games shouldn't have complex storylines or plots. It annoyed the fuck out of me how he'd sneak in little jabs everywhere, as though anything that told a story was somehow inherently inferior.

The guy who wrote the OP isn't nearly that bad, he's not saying Sony is horrible now, not exactly, but he does sound like he's made up his mind to not like anything developed after the PS1, and I find that kind of silly.

I know what you mean.  People expect everyone to be like Nintendo and never leave an IP.  ND and Insomniac probably could've made 1 or 2 more games of their PSone classics but I've seen interviews and statements that basically say they were tired of making and by the third game they had exhausted all the ideas they had for their franchises.  I spoke to someone this week who said he wouldn't get back into gaming until Spyro and Crash came back just like the old times.  I tried telling him about all the awesome new games that I loved this gen but all he wanted was Pokemon, Crash, and Spyro and never tried new stuff.

The only thing I would ask of Sony is make a few of your own worlds again.  Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Infamous, and Resistance were all very uncreative in this aspect.  From Ratchet to Jak to Spyro to Crash to Sly I know these devs can make a unique world not based on our own and I just want to see them reflect that creativity a little more.  Those franchises all did some cool stuff with story like alternate timelines and superheros but in the end they were very realistic as far as playing as humans in real cities.  When I popped in one of those classic platformers I loved having a new world to explore or some silly animal to play as.  I get they want to be mature and I know MM did LBP and they have Puppeteer, but I'm just asking for SP, ND, or Insomniac to make something in a new world again.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

I believe there is already a company that produces the same IPs over and over again.

Conegamer said:
NintendoPie said:
Conegamer said:
NintendoPie said:
I find it hard to agree with an IGN article... but, I agree? Conflicting emotions overflow me!

I also find myself in a similar scenario. Bring back Spyro, Ratchet, Jak and Crash to their glory days dammit! 

I remember when I played Spyro, Crash (I LOVED this game), and Ratchet/Clank all the time with my brother. The games just don't have that charm anymore, especially Spyro...

Ugh, stop making me remember Spyro! What a great series...

I have nothing against a good mix of games like Spyro etc. with Killzone and GoW, but they seem to have focused on the latter and forgotten about the former. I grew up on those kiddy games, and I loved them (and still do). Nothing Sony has now makes me as excited as any of those previous titles.

I agree, I also enjoyed the old Sony Games way more than the new ones. Most of the new Sony IPs are so replaceable, they make the same Shooter Games now as anybody else. And their awesome old games are all gone.

pokoko said:
I don't even know what I just read. Was that a complaint that Sony doesn't go the Nintendo route and keep the same characters around for dozens of games? And why does he include characters and series that Sony doesn't even own?

I get the feeling his guy is another "shallow characters and platformers only" gamer who scoffs at everything else. Even then, Sony just released a Sly Cooper title and they've had several Ratchet & Clank and LBP releases.

As someone who has been into gaming for a long time, all this nostalgia stuff is pretty meaningless once you pop a game in and start playing.

LOL. why I agree with your post, you're the guy who claimed Nintendo should go the Sony-route (http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=154768&page=1 ).

Yes, the author here ignored some recent games. Like you in your thread ignored, that the Wii launched with Zelda:TP and Red Steel and released Metroid 3 and RE4 early on. You claimed Nintendo paved the way for minigame-collections by setting the mood, ignoring the games I named.

But yes, I agree with this post. I think it is good for gaming, that Sony and Nintendo try different things. it enriches overall the experience for us gamers and it does inspire each other.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

VGKing said:
Conegamer said:
NintendoPie said:
I find it hard to agree with an IGN article... but, I agree? Conflicting emotions overflow me!

I also find myself in a similar scenario. Bring back Spyro, Ratchet, Jak and Crash to their glory days dammit! 

Those IP sold less with each new entry in the series. Games like Grand Theft Auto established Playstation consoles as the console for mature games. Without Sony, games would still be seen as a kid thing, as a play toy. Because of Sony gaming has become much more than that and it paved the way for Microsoft and the Xbox and what gaming is today. Mainstream.

I am pretty sure without games like GTA etc. the playstation would be seen as toy not the other way around. And the "seen as toy" thing is because of the "uneducated people" out there. I am pretty sure that people that played Ninja Gaiden on NES dont think that was a childs game or that the console was a toy. 

I did not think it was a toy at all.