By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony on a downward spiral?

spurgeonryan said:
Crab Bandicoot

Funniest thing I heard all week. Someone please photoshop something up!

Around the Network

The market is different, ergo Sony are different. Times change, if you stand still you get left behind. This is more about the writer being unable to accept the change in times rather than any fault of Sony imo.

Times change people and the industry is market driven as always.

Do games like Spyro, RandC, Crash etc., still sell bucket loads? No. Crash Bandicoot sold like 40m total but now seems to have hit a wall. The last one did just over 1m on multi-platform ( not sure if it was on PS3 but was on wii and x360). The last Spyro sold 330K on PS3.

As developer do you invest in nostalgic games and franchises to please a small minority and make peanuts for profit ( or even a loss) or do you give the people what the majority wants and make the big bucks?

I understand what is being stated but one must look at why this is the case.

Does anyone remember a game called Rosco McQueen on ps1 that game was so awesome lol

bananaking21 said:
this guy acts like flower, flow, journey, littlebigplanet, tearaway, ratchet and clank and puppeteer dont exist

Well the sales as far as we know aren't noteworthy and LBP sales drop off after each new version. They exist but are perhaps "unnoticed"

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

Around the Network

Well Sony definately changed approaches by going more mature, which is the right move.

The trick now is making their exclusives true blockbusters, since multiplats tend to be favoured to their exclusives in similar genres. They have yet to make their own Halo/Mario.

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles. 

I think Sony is now regretting letting some of those franchises go. They all married happily into their playstation all-star fighting game, but the realistic charcters like Drake and Kratos dont.

NintendoPie said:
I find it hard to agree with an IGN article... but, I agree? Conflicting emotions overflow me!

It's not an IGN article. It's someone's blog post that was put up on their ign blog

Mnementh said:
pokoko said:
I don't even know what I just read. Was that a complaint that Sony doesn't go the Nintendo route and keep the same characters around for dozens of games? And why does he include characters and series that Sony doesn't even own?

I get the feeling his guy is another "shallow characters and platformers only" gamer who scoffs at everything else. Even then, Sony just released a Sly Cooper title and they've had several Ratchet & Clank and LBP releases.

As someone who has been into gaming for a long time, all this nostalgia stuff is pretty meaningless once you pop a game in and start playing.

LOL. why I agree with your post, you're the guy who claimed Nintendo should go the Sony-route (http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=154768&page=1 ).

Yes, the author here ignored some recent games. Like you in your thread ignored, that the Wii launched with Zelda:TP and Red Steel and released Metroid 3 and RE4 early on. You claimed Nintendo paved the way for minigame-collections by setting the mood, ignoring the games I named.

But yes, I agree with this post. I think it is good for gaming, that Sony and Nintendo try different things. it enriches overall the experience for us gamers and it does inspire each other.

Minigame collections?  What are you talking about?  As far as the rest, all I basically said was that Nintendo needs more studios so they could tap into more genres.  That has nothing to do with Mario or their other IPs.

Sony gives their developers a lot of creative freedom, and it's only natural that devs will want to do new things.

That said, Sly is making a comeback, TM returned, R&C was all over this gen, PASBR brought back most of the classics (in a sense) and GT from PS1, MGS from PS1 and GODOWA from PS2 are still around and aren't going anywhere. Then there's all the HD collections and PS1/2 classics. So I'm 100% certain I don't agree with much said in the blog post.