By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony on a downward spiral?

RolStoppable said:
VGKing said:
RolStoppable said:
A nice diversion. Usually this kind of opinionated garbage article is written about Nintendo.

But I don't think anyone agrees with this. Sure, gamers might miss Spyro or Crash Bandicoot but we now have God of War, Uncharted...etc.

Downward spiral? More like Sony is growing up.

Well, that should tell you that Nintendo fans are above agreeing with drivel.

It's not a fair comparison though. Playstation fans are happy with games like God of War and Uncharted. Games like Ratchet and Clank and Playstation All-Stars don't sell....

I've never seen anyone say "I wish Sony ditched Uncharted and made more games like Spyro". Why? Because they're happy with the direction Sony is taking. Reviews are good, sales are good and word of mouth is good. So why was this article written? It surely doesn't represent the opinions of Sony fans, and you just said Nintendo fans either....so Microsoft fans feel this way? Doubt it. So that leads me to the only possible conclusion....this IGN article was written as a butthurt response to that Wii U article from a few days ago.

EDIT: lol this is some random ign members blog lol. Makes a lot more sense now. If I new this, I would never have even commented in the thread. Not worth my time.

Around the Network

While I don't entirely agree with the author, I think Sony should have at least kept Crash.

The story of my life.

While Sony is guilty of not preserving their rich heritage, I don't think this is a Sony thing as much as it is an industry thing. After all it's not just Sony that's allowed their once treasured IPs fade away. Where's Megaman? Where's Crash (which is Activision now)? Why is Tomb Raider so gritty and dark? Why is RE more about action than suspense and puzzles?

The entire industry (Nintendo excluded) has changed to be more "mature" as this is precieved (justifiable so, look at sales) to be what people want. But the charm is gone or perhaps, it's just moved to mobile/social games, allowing consoles games to become ever more 'realistic' gritty and dark affairs.

Gamerace said:

But the charm is gone or perhaps, it's just moved to mobile/social games,

+ lesser known PC games, indies, and XBLA-type titles (a lot of crossover between these 3). Though I wouldn't say the the "charm is gone" from all the AAAs, you just have to find the right games.

Around the Network
bananaking21 said:
RazorDragon said:

I was just saying that Sony doesn't have that IP diversity people believe, which is actually true. No need to get upset, I already edited my post after remembering God of War and changed hack'n slash for puzzlers, which i believed(wrongly) Sony had no game to compete on. And, you said it better than i could have done: RTS shooter. That doesn't exist, StarHawk is either a third-person shooter with RTS elements or it is a RTS with third-person shooter elements. And, considering that in the game you shoot more than you do RTS stuff, it's a a third-person shooter with RTS elements, therefore not an RTS. We're not discussing wheter some genre is shit in consoles or not, we're discussing about having games in a genre.

And, actually, Nintendo has a third-person shooter games, like Batallion Wars and Kid Icarus: Uprising. And MS also has platformers, it owns the Battletoads IP and has the awesome Comic Jumper game. Agreed about the interactive drama part and free to play games, though games like Pandora's Tower and Distaster(both from Nintendo) focus a lot in that interactive drama part. About Action Adventure games, no need to say, MS has Banjo-Kazooie and Kameo. I guess we could both end it here.

eh im not upset or arguing im just discussing dont worry about that, im just worried that riggie will come out of your avatar and rape me, a concern i told you about more than once now  

and have you played starhawk? because i have. and to tell you the RTS elements are VERY essential in the game, i wouldnt have called it a hybrid unless i really knew that RTS elements in it are really strong. strategy that is required in RTS games are strongely evident in the game. if you want to win a game in starhawk, you have to think like your playing an RTS game and have the skill and responses of playing a 3rd person shooter. trust me when i say its a hybrid

and banjoo kazooie is an adventure game? huh? and yes MS and nintendo have these games, but their efforts and tittles are nowhere are strong as sony's games. can kid icarus really be compared to uncharted in terms of quality and scale? should battletoads really be put in the same sentence with littlebigplanet? 

Never played StarHawk, but saw a few videos, actually it was quite an interesting game from what i saw, but looked like another TPS. However, i believe in your words, if you say it's a RTS, i will accept it. And Battletoads is awesome, it should be put in every sentence along with LBP(and Mario).

RazorDragon said:
bananaking

eh im not upset or arguing im just discussing dont worry about that, im just worried that riggie will come out of your avatar and rape me, a concern i told you about more than once now  

and have you played starhawk? because i have. and to tell you the RTS elements are VERY essential in the game, i wouldnt have called it a hybrid unless i really knew that RTS elements in it are really strong. strategy that is required in RTS games are strongely evident in the game. if you want to win a game in starhawk, you have to think like your playing an RTS game and have the skill and responses of playing a 3rd person shooter. trust me when i say its a hybrid

and banjoo kazooie is an adventure game? huh? and yes MS and nintendo have these games, but their efforts and tittles are nowhere are strong as sony's games. can kid icarus really be compared to uncharted in terms of quality and scale? should battletoads really be put in the same sentence with littlebigplanet? 

Never played StarHawk, but saw a few videos, actually it was quite an interesting game from what i saw, but looked like another TPS. However, i believe in your words, if you say it's a RTS, i will accept it. And Battletoads is awesome, it should be put in every sentence along with LBP(and Mario).

actually i was just playing starhawk lol, im not saying its an RTS, im saying its more of an hybrid, the way i play it certainly isnt like how i played any TPS game. 

and the ironic thing is that a nintendo fan is the first guy on here that i ever hear talking about battletoads lol, ill take your for it about how good it is though 

i completely agree, Sonys current IPs are completely generic and unappealing to me, PSX is their best console by far (and ugliest)

This is something many companies had to go through. Times change and companies need to change to keep up with the times.

Gamerace said:
While Sony is guilty of not preserving their rich heritage, I don't think this is a Sony thing as much as it is an industry thing. After all it's not just Sony that's allowed their once treasured IPs fade away. Where's Megaman? Where's Crash (which is Activision now)? Why is Tomb Raider so gritty and dark? Why is RE more about action than suspense and puzzles?

The entire industry (Nintendo excluded) has changed to be more "mature" as this is precieved (justifiable so, look at sales) to be what people want. But the charm is gone or perhaps, it's just moved to mobile/social games, allowing consoles games to become ever more 'realistic' gritty and dark affairs.

at least we have Rayman, LBP, and Ratchet to go with Nintendo.  Oh and Sly is back now

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers