By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony on a downward spiral?

From IGN:

February 5, 2013 by 

I just realized something the other day, and I find it super depressing....

Sony is dead.

At least the Sony I knew and loved as a kid.

Let's say you meet a girl (or a guy, for you ladies out there!), and you really like her (or him). She's quirky (He's - argh, you know what, while we are pretending, just pretend you like girls for a second), she's funny, she's colorful, even though she's a little clumsy and awkward. She is always surprising you, coming up with something new ideas, and even though not everything she does is perfect, you know she has the best of intentions.

But then, she grows up a little. She really wants people to like her, so she works on getting rid of her eccentricities, and her sense of humor changes along with it. She starts dressing differently, with colors a little more subdued, because being bright and colorful just isn't as cool as it used to be. She starts following the latest fashion trends, thinking through her decisions more, and in the process, she becomes more predictable.

All of a sudden she has a lot of friends, and she tries to please them all, including you. But eventually, as time goes on, she begins to gravitate towards her other, newer friends and forgets all about you, because you haven't changed with her.

That's what's happened to Sony. They are a business, first and foremost, after all. They've gone all Darwinian on us and changed to fit the current trends, what people are willing to spend money on, what marketing says people want the most, and to an extent, that has worked out for them. And in general, a lot more people have gotten into videogaming in the past generation or so, which means a lot more people to appeal to (and get money from).

But this wasn't always the case for them. The Sony I remember was just plain crazy. They had games about monkey catchers, jill sandwiches, rapping dogs, solid snakes, pink haired cavemen, orange bandicoots, orphaned crocodiles, blue bombers, purple firebreathing dragons, and well endowed tomb raiders. And none of these games took themselves too seriously either (something I've always treasured in games). I loved them for that reason, even when I was a hardcore Nintendo 64 fanboy.

But somewhere along the way, Sony decided they were done with all of these franchises. They easily gave up the likes of Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, and Parappa as soon as they found new IP that made just as much money (Jak & Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper). Other franchises, like Ape Escape, held on a little longer, though their best years outside of Japan remain on the PS1 and in the early PS2 days. Games like Sly carried the torch of this old, experimental Sony for a while, but some of them grew more serious with each entry, or at the very least targeted a more mature audience. The progression of Naughty Dog from Crash, to Jak and Daxter, to Uncharted, to The Last of Us is a perfect embodiement of this. Especially during the Jak years, Naughty Dog evolved into a much more adult-oriented studio.

Of course, Sony, as a company is still alive and kickin', and there is no doubting that they still have a quality platform with quality games to play, and they probably always will. And regardless of what some Sony cynics may say, I'm sure they won't be going anywhere anytime soon, and they will continue to be part of the gaming industry. But Playstation, as a platform, has a complely different identity now. As Playstation All Stars so clearly showed, Sony doesn't even have the rights to most of those old mainstays anymore.

That isn't to say that Sony isn't still an awesome hardware and software company. They still put out some quality entertainment and make some mean hardware. In reality, there is nothing horribly wrong about what Sony is doing. But they aren't a company I feel nostalgia for anymore, now that they've essentially given up their heritage.  I won't buy the PS4/Orbis because I loved the PS1, or even the PS2. I'll buy the PS4 on its own merits, and on its own merits alone. And while that's totally fine, in my opinion it is a shame to let a gaming heritage as rich as Sony's go to waste, especially with how few companies (especially hardware developers) survive as long as they have. Personally, I'm happy for Sony and all of their successes, but they just aren't my cup of tea anymore.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
I'm not 100% certain if I agree with the main points of the article, but it raises some intersting questions, no?

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

I find it hard to agree with an IGN article... but, I agree? Conflicting emotions overflow me!

Sad True Sony isnt what they used to be.

I used to love this company until 2005, i still Love their games but i dont buy much from them anymore.

Sony hasnt step their game, Samsung on the other hand is better everyday.

Sony is a great company, we cant Forget everything they gave our industry, they are the reason Console are what they are today.

I think Sony will recover, they just need to drop some business, focus on Playstation, Movies...

I'd say no, there pumping out great exclusives and a new console is just around the corner. As for the rest of the company there doing what needs 2 be done and bring it back 2 the front runners. Granted this won't happen over night but it will happen.

Check out my Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePSXcollector

NintendoPie said:
I find it hard to agree with an IGN article... but, I agree? Conflicting emotions overflow me!

I also find myself in a similar scenario. Bring back Spyro, Ratchet, Jak and Crash to their glory days dammit! 

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network

Downward spiral or upward swirl? I can confirm spinning, spinning confirmed.

Conegamer said:
NintendoPie said:

I also find myself in a similar scenario. Bring back Spyro, Ratchet, Jak and Crash to their glory days dammit! 

I remember when I played Spyro, Crash (I LOVED this game), and Ratchet/Clank all the time with my brother. The games just don't have that charm anymore, especially Spyro...

Sony's games became a lot more mature over time. I don't have a problem with that, its what made them different from Nintendo. I think the fact that Sony is able to abandon all these cartoony characters should be celebrated, not mourned. As a gamer you should always want NEW CHARACTERS, NEW IP....etc.

God of War, Uncharted, Killzone, The Last of Us, inFamous..etc There is nothing like these games available on the Wii. That's a selling point. It's what makes Playstation what it is. I'm glad Sony's copycat IP such as All-Stars and LBP Karting have flopped. Hopefully they keep on making mature games, and leave the kid-friendly stuff to 3rd parties.

Every industry changes, Sony is just doing what the market wants.

Gamers are the one to blame.

I like this new adult Sony much better.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.