By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony on a downward spiral?

Conegamer said:
NintendoPie said:
I find it hard to agree with an IGN article... but, I agree? Conflicting emotions overflow me!

I also find myself in a similar scenario. Bring back Spyro, Ratchet, Jak and Crash to their glory days dammit! 

Spyro and Crash arn't Sony IPs and we got several Ratchet/Jak games this gen.

Around the Network
kain_kusanagi said:
Conegamer said:
NintendoPie said:
I find it hard to agree with an IGN article... but, I agree? Conflicting emotions overflow me!

I also find myself in a similar scenario. Bring back Spyro, Ratchet, Jak and Crash to their glory days dammit! 

I know they aren't Sony IP's anymore (though it doesn't mean their new owners can't release good games with the IPs...), and whilst the Ratchet and Jak games have been good for the most part, Jak has been pretty quiet and Ratchet games have been decidadly mediocre these past few years.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Trends change. Industries change. What consumers want change. Evolve or die.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

Conegamer said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Conegamer said:
NintendoPie said:

I know they aren't Sony IP's anymore (though it doesn't mean their new owners can't release good games with the IPs...), and whilst the Ratchet and Jak games have been good for the most part, Jak has been pretty quiet and Ratchet games have been decidadly mediocre these past few years.

Ratchet and Clank started going downhill after ACiT (my favorite game this gen).  It's sad to see because it's my favorite series of all time and I tried the beta/demo for the last 2 and hated them.  The old formula allowed for some flexibility but not to become move/party and tower defense games and these last 2 have sold horrendously.  Hopefully Insomniac will look at that and give us a conclusion to the story when their hearts are in it.  One more REAL Ratchet game (like 1-3, ToD, and ACiT) or even a downloadable like Quest for Booty which was awesome would be nice for PS4.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

platformmaster918 said:
Conegamer said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Conegamer said:
NintendoPie said:

Ratchet and Clank started going downhill after ACiT (my favorite game this gen).  It's sad to see because it's my favorite series of all time and I tried the beta/demo for the last 2 and hated them.  The old formula allowed for some flexibility but not to become move/party and tower defense games and these last 2 have sold horrendously.  Hopefully Insomniac will look at that and give us a conclusion to the story when their hearts are in it.  One more REAL Ratchet game (like 1-3, ToD, and ACiT) or even a downloadable like Quest for Booty which was awesome would be nice for PS4.

That's exactly what I was referring to. ACiT was great, one of the best titles in the series (though the lack of Clank in much of the game stops it from being THE best), and after that, did they build on the concepts? Did they try? No, they didn't. They pretty much created two different games using the IP as a cover to make it sell better. Hopefully this will change with the PS4.

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

Around the Network
Conegamer said:
platformmaster918 said:
Conegamer said:
kain_kusanagi said:
Conegamer said:
NintendoPie said:

That's exactly what I was referring to. ACiT was great, one of the best titles in the series (though the lack of Clank in much of the game stops it from being THE best), and after that, did they build on the concepts? Did they try? No, they didn't. They pretty much created two different games using the IP as a cover to make it sell better. Hopefully this will change with the PS4.

well according to this site A4O didn't sell nearly as much as usual for the series so they'll take the hint.  Personally it was the first time I ever skipped a Ratchet game (other than the PSP ones but I didn't own the system).  If someone makes a REAL Ratchet for Vita it would be a system seller for me personally.  Same deal with PS4 but I'll probably get that at launch anyway cause it's been way too long and I'm pumped.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

No gameing company is what it used to be. For me Sony always satisfied my gaming needs. I guess the articles author does not feel the same, but I could point my fingers at other companies.

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Conegamer said:

Insomniac pretty much repeated what they did in the sixth generation, which was: finish their main "trilogy"; then experiment with the games thereafter.  In the sixth gen, it was Deadlocked; this gen, it's All 4 One & Q-Force.

To be honest, it's not a trend that I hate.  Working on tweaking the same formula all the time in a series must get a bit repetitive, at least this way they get to try something which is potentially completely different but in the confines of a series they're used to making.  In the case of All 4 One & Q-Force, it was also a chance for their second team (Insomniac North Carolina) to have a go at making their first games outside of the Burbank studio.

The problem is, this gen has gone on for so long that it seems such a long time ago since we had a proper Ratchet entry.  I'm hoping this is just because they're cooking it up for the PS4 (I'd hate to see Q-Force as the way they ended the whole series).