By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony on a downward spiral?

Ooo Ooo I know, Sony doesnt have a tactical RPG like Fire Emblem...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_the_Lad_(video_game)

oh damn...

Around the Network

Some gamers spend more time looking backwards than forwards and I think he's one of them. Personally, while I sometimes think it would be nifty if they brought certain characters back, it's not a necessity. It's not something I must have as a gamer. Likewise, I don't really care if characters are realistic or cartoonish, as long as they fit the worlds where they exist. I can enjoy playing all different types of games with all different types of characters. That's part of the reason why I think Sony's development organization is better now than it's ever been.

Usually I'm a live-and-let-live kind of gamer. Personal taste is personal taste. However, gamers that always slag off on other genres and game styles really annoy me, even if they're genres and styles I don't enjoy myself. Part of the reason I stopped going to Destructoid (besides Jim Sterling) was Jonathon Holmes' constant harping on how games shouldn't have complex storylines or plots. It annoyed the fuck out of me how he'd sneak in little jabs everywhere, as though anything that told a story was somehow inherently inferior.

The guy who wrote the OP isn't nearly that bad, he's not saying Sony is horrible now, not exactly, but he does sound like he's made up his mind to not like anything developed after the PS1, and I find that kind of silly.

I understand the point he's trying to make but this is an awful, awful article.

He doesn't even seem to understand basic concepts such as what is a third party title (i.e. nothing to do with Sony) and what is a first party title (i.e. developed by Sony).  He lists games such as Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid & Tomb Raider like they haven't appeared on the PS3 or something.  We're getting a new instalment of each of those franchises THIS YEAR.  Jesus Christ.  If his complaint is about the quality of the games now vs. how they were on the PS1, then again, why is this a complaint he's leveraging towards Sony?

Heck, the fact that those types of games are mentioned is just a testiment to the fact that - even with his rose-tinted glasses on - mature games have always been a staple of Sony's systems, mixed in with more light-hearted stuff.  Which is exactly_the_same situation the console is in now, not least due to Sony's efforts to keep the 'other' side going.  Sony ran, by my count, 4 platforming IP's on PS1 (Crash, Spyro, Ape Escape, Tomba).  Sony are running 4 platforming IP's on PS3.  They're different from the ones they ran on PS1, but they're still there.

Speaking of which, he goes on this big rant about platformers.  Now, I do get that.  Heck, I was having a nostalgia-fueled discussion with ConeyGamey just last week about Spyro!  But Sony do the best with what they've got.  They cannot develop new Spyro and Crash titles, they never owned the IP.  The platforming IP's they do have - say, Ratchet & Sly Cooper, we have seen on the PS3.  Sure, they're not up there with Nintendo for keeping their platforming franchises going, but I'll be damned if you're going to tell me that they didn't try.

What I love - probably most of all - about Sony is their IP rotation.  I feel like they know better than their competitiors when to keep something going; when to revive something and when to introduce new IP's.  A simplistic way to look at it would be examining platformers this generation.  Ratchet has been a staple throughout PS3's lifespan - preserving a popular heritage.  LittleBigPlanet was introduced early on and became a core new IP - introducing new IP's early.  Sly Cooper was given a new instalment this year - bringing back fan-loved old games.  We're getting Puppeteer later in 2013 - again, a new IP.

I understand the broad point he's trying to make, and there's plenty of scope to discuss the core issue here, which is Sony's preservation of their old IP's vs. introducing new stuff.  It's a debate we've had countless times already on this forum within the topic of PSABR.  But if this article is an attempt to debate that point further, then it's a truly awful way to go about it.  Nostalgia is a lovely thing, no doubt about it, but when it causes you to throw logic out of the window & eschew basic principles of how the industry works just to get hits for your article, then it's time to stop.

edit: Sorry if this post is a bit disjointed.  This is the second time I typed it out, since I was typing it from my phone but the whole thing decided to crash.  So, some of the gist of the post may have gotten lost through typing it again.

spurgeonryan said:
Adult games are fine for Sony now. But back then it did not matter. Everyone was playing Crab Bandicoot or Mario or Zelda, ect. These days who is dying for the next "kiddies" game from Sony? I do not mean kiddies game, just the only name I can think of for them.
You guys are right and it does not need to be said for the 500th time. You are not going to find Sony type games on Wii. Nintendo can barely keep up with Nintendo games on Nintendo consoles.

crab bandicoot? craB? crabbbBB!!!!!!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!  

RazorDragon said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
RazorDragon said:
bananaking21 said:

they offer great games on pretty much every genre, something that nintendo and MS are not even close to doing

Oh, but that's not true. Which hack'n slash game does Sony owns the IP? None that i know. Microsoft has Ninety-Nine Nights, Nintendo has Pandora's Tower. RTS? Nope. Microsoft has Halo Wars, Nintendo has Advance Wars. Simulators? Nintendo has Steel Diver. Microsoft has Flight Simulator. I guess i could find a few other genres that Sony doesn't has a competing game.

Hack N Slash: God of War and Heavenly Sword. Sony has more competing games in various genres than Microsoft. They have numerous platformers, shooters, puzzle, gameshow and casual titles to boot. Look harder if you plan on discrediting them. They've put out more IP's than Nintendo and Microsoft this gen.

I know, completely forgot about the awesome God of War. Already edited my post to another genre which(i think) Sony doesn't have a competitor game on: puzzlers.

Not planning on descrediting them, but most IP's they've put out this generation are shooters and Indigo Prophecy-like games(can't figure a genre for that).

Sir you're not that far to be called troll...

Usually it's better to know what you're talking about before... you know, just to don't look silly. :)

Around the Network

Legend of Dragoon 2 pls, it would give PS4 a killer JRPG game.

chris_wing said:

Downward spiral or upward swirl? I can confirm spinning, spinning confirmed.

PS4 A SLINKY CONFIRMED!! Hopefully a colourfull one like what IGN want.

bananaking21 said:
RazorDragon said:
bananaking21 said:

they offer great games on pretty much every genre, something that nintendo and MS are not even close to doing

Oh, but that's not true. Which hack'n slash game does Sony owns the IP? None that i know. Microsoft has Ninety-Nine Nights, Nintendo has Pandora's Tower. RTS? Nope. Microsoft has Halo Wars, Nintendo has Advance Wars. Simulators? Nintendo has Steel Diver. Microsoft has Flight Simulator. I guess i could find a few other genres that Sony doesn't has a competing game.

yeah sony has no hack and slash games, just the best selling highest quality hack and slash games, God of war. and sony has an RTS third person shooter hybrid starhawk. i would also like to point out that RTS games are shit on consoles. and simulators? seriously? give me a MS or nintendo hack and slash game that holds a candle to GoW. or a nintendo third person shooter than can even compare to uncharted? or a good old MS platformer that can come close to littlebigplanet? do ms and nintendo offer interactive drama? no. free to play games like dust 514? no..... does MS even have an action adventur game? not to mention one that can compete with action tittles like uncharted, GoW or infamous? 

I was just saying that Sony doesn't have that IP diversity people believe, which is actually true. No need to get upset, I already edited my post after remembering God of War and changed hack'n slash for puzzlers, which i believed(wrongly) Sony had no game to compete on. And, you said it better than i could have done: RTS shooter. That doesn't exist, StarHawk is either a third-person shooter with RTS elements or it is a RTS with third-person shooter elements. And, considering that in the game you shoot more than you do RTS stuff, it's a a third-person shooter with RTS elements, therefore not an RTS. We're not discussing wheter some genre is shit in consoles or not, we're discussing about having games in a genre.

And, actually, Nintendo has a third-person shooter games, like Batallion Wars and Kid Icarus: Uprising. And MS also has platformers, it owns the Battletoads IP and has the awesome Comic Jumper game. Agreed about the interactive drama part and free to play games, though games like Pandora's Tower and Distaster(both from Nintendo) focus a lot in that interactive drama part. About Action Adventure games, no need to say, MS has Banjo-Kazooie and Kameo. I guess we could both end it here.

NintendoPie said:
mjk45 said:

half of those so called mainstays where never Sonys Ips to begin with the rights to crash bandicoot were given to universal interactive in return for a funding deal same thing happened with Spyro and Insomniac , Sonys involvment was they became the publisher

Yeah, I noticed. Spyro was also on the GameCube, wasn't it? (I don't remember a Crash game on any other console except from PS, though.)

the first three games where on PS after all Sony Published them , what happened was  Naughty dog had office space  was at Universal interactive and while there mark cerny and andy gavin pitched an idea for a platformer to jason rubin who was at universal at that time and he arranged a funding deal that lead to Universal owning the ip that later on became crash intially it was named after a wombat it was shown later on to Sony who agreed to a publishing deal the same thing happened with Spyro so both IP's basically became Universal products from day one , as to games on other systems.

2001 - Crash the wrath of cortex  PS2 XB GC

2003  - N-Trance   GBA

2004  - Crash twinsanity  PS2  XB

2007  - Crash of Titans   PS2 PSP  360 Wii DS GBA  symbian

2008  -  mind of Mutant PS@ PSP 360 Wii DS

Others    Crash nitro racing  PS2  XB  GC GBA  N- gage    Crash tag team racing PS2 GC XB PSP

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

mjk45 said:
NintendoPie said:
mjk45 said:

half of those so called mainstays where never Sonys Ips to begin with the rights to crash bandicoot were given to universal interactive in return for a funding deal same thing happened with Spyro and Insomniac , Sonys involvment was they became the publisher

Yeah, I noticed. Spyro was also on the GameCube, wasn't it? (I don't remember a Crash game on any other console except from PS, though.)

the first three games where on PS after all Sony Published them , what happened was  Naughty dog had office space  was at Universal interactive and while there mark cerny and andy gavin pitched an idea for a platformer to jason rubin who was at universal at that time and he arranged a funding deal that lead to Universal owning the ip that later on became crash intially it was named after a wombat it was shown later on to Sony who agreed to a publishing deal the same thing happened with Spyro so both IP's basically became Universal products from day one , as to games on other systems.

2001 - Crash the wrath of cortex  PS2 XB GC

2003  - N-Trance   GBA

2004  - Crash twinsanity  PS2  XB

2007  - Crash of Titans   PS2 PSP  360 Wii DS GBA  symbian

2008  -  mind of Mutant PS@ PSP 360 Wii DS

Others    Crash nitro racing  PS2  XB  GC GBA  N- gage    Crash tag team racing PS2 GC XB PSP

The only Crash games we recognize are the original trilogy and Crash Team Racing.