By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Is Sony on a downward spiral?

Magnus86 said:

Sir you're not that far to be called troll...

Usually it's better to know what you're talking about before... you know, just to don't look silly. :)

Well, ignore the hack'n slash part which I obviously forgot about GoW and you'll see that my argument is not that silly.

Train wreck said:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligent_Qube

Damn, you got me. I'm going to hide in that corner now.

Around the Network
RazorDragon said:

RTS? Nope. Microsoft has Halo Wars, Nintendo has Advance Wars. 

Genuine questions: Have you ever played an Advance Wars game?  Do you know what the "RT" in RTS stands for?

I'm guessing just a little mistake in the heat of posting, there :P

It's a terrible state of affairs, and the American press did all they could to help Sony sell consoles and handhelds. Clearly all that help had no effect. The American press are currently helping Nintendo too ...

Turkish said:
mjk45 said:
NintendoPie said:
mjk45 said:

half of those so called mainstays where never Sonys Ips to begin with the rights to crash bandicoot were given to universal interactive in return for a funding deal same thing happened with Spyro and Insomniac , Sonys involvment was they became the publisher

Yeah, I noticed. Spyro was also on the GameCube, wasn't it? (I don't remember a Crash game on any other console except from PS, though.)

the first three games where on PS after all Sony Published them , what happened was  Naughty dog had office space  was at Universal interactive and while there mark cerny and andy gavin pitched an idea for a platformer to jason rubin who was at universal at that time and he arranged a funding deal that lead to Universal owning the ip that later on became crash intially it was named after a wombat it was shown later on to Sony who agreed to a publishing deal the same thing happened with Spyro so both IP's basically became Universal products from day one , as to games on other systems.

2001 - Crash the wrath of cortex  PS2 XB GC

2003  - N-Trance   GBA

2004  - Crash twinsanity  PS2  XB

2007  - Crash of Titans   PS2 PSP  360 Wii DS GBA  symbian

2008  -  mind of Mutant PS@ PSP 360 Wii DS

Others    Crash nitro racing  PS2  XB  GC GBA  N- gage    Crash tag team racing PS2 GC XB PSP

The only Crash games we recognize are the original trilogy and Crash Team Racing.

the question was  he couldn't remember any crash games on another system  , nothing indicated that he was  reffering  to the ND originals (and yes they are the best) the irony is you have 360 Wii on that list but no PS3 , and I'm pleased .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

RazorDragon said:
bananaking21 said:

they offer great games on pretty much every genre, something that nintendo and MS are not even close to doing

Oh, but that's not true. Which puzzle game does Sony owns the IP? None that i know. Microsoft has Hexic, Nintendo has Ketzal's Corridors. RTS? Nope. Microsoft has Halo Wars, Nintendo has Advance Wars. Simulators? Nintendo has Steel Diver. Microsoft has Flight Simulator. I guess i could find a few other genres that Sony doesn't has a competing game.

First off, the errors:

1. Advance Wars is not an RTS.  It's a turn-based strategy game.  If that's considered real-time then so is Disgaea or FF Tactics.

2. As far as I know MS has never released Flight SImulator on either XBox system.  It's a PC-only release.

3. Steel Driver is a side-scroller and not a sumulator.   A simulator "simulates" realism in the control, whether it'd be a plane, a car, or a submarine in this case.  In this game, you control the submarine by moving up/down and left/right.  Not exactly a very realistic representation on how to operate a submarine.

Now for your initial question:

Puzzle - Echochrome, Piyotama

RTS - PixelJunk, Savage Moon

Simulation - Gran Turismo

Around the Network

No company makes games like they did in the nineties. Except for a few notable franchises that go back 20-30 years.

ǝןdɯıs ʇı dǝǝʞ oʇ ǝʞıן ı ʍouʞ noʎ 

Ask me about being an elitist jerk

Time for hype

RazorDragon said:

I was just saying that Sony doesn't have that IP diversity people believe, which is actually true. No need to get upset, I already edited my post after remembering God of War and changed hack'n slash for puzzlers, which i believed(wrongly) Sony had no game to compete on. And, you said it better than i could have done: RTS shooter. That doesn't exist, StarHawk is either a third-person shooter with RTS elements or it is a RTS with third-person shooter elements. And, considering that in the game you shoot more than you do RTS stuff, it's a a third-person shooter with RTS elements, therefore not an RTS. We're not discussing wheter some genre is shit in consoles or not, we're discussing about having games in a genre.

And, actually, Nintendo has a third-person shooter games, like Batallion Wars and Kid Icarus: Uprising. And MS also has platformers, it owns the Battletoads IP and has the awesome Comic Jumper game. Agreed about the interactive drama part and free to play games, though games like Pandora's Tower and Distaster(both from Nintendo) focus a lot in that interactive drama part. About Action Adventure games, no need to say, MS has Banjo-Kazooie and Kameo. I guess we could both end it here.

eh im not upset or arguing im just discussing dont worry about that, im just worried that riggie will come out of your avatar and rape me, a concern i told you about more than once now  

and have you played starhawk? because i have. and to tell you the RTS elements are VERY essential in the game, i wouldnt have called it a hybrid unless i really knew that RTS elements in it are really strong. strategy that is required in RTS games are strongely evident in the game. if you want to win a game in starhawk, you have to think like your playing an RTS game and have the skill and responses of playing a 3rd person shooter. trust me when i say its a hybrid

and banjoo kazooie is an adventure game? huh? and yes MS and nintendo have these games, but their efforts and tittles are nowhere are strong as sony's games. can kid icarus really be compared to uncharted in terms of quality and scale? should battletoads really be put in the same sentence with littlebigplanet? 

They still have some cool goofy games like Ratchet and Clank, Puppeteer, LBP, Sly, and uuuuuuu I don't know I'm sure I forgot a couple. I do agree though in that I wish they would take a little less serious mentality with their franchises especially ND. They used to make their own worlds now they take us on a tour of ours. I know they still have that same imagination and they could do it again, but it's safer to go realistic I guess. I hope GG, SP, SSM, ND, and/or MM do something a little bit more in the Crash/Spyro realm of seriousness. Also they should definitely buy back Crash he can't be worth that much anymore and he could sell a lot of PS4s for people who remember the old games and are parents now. Imagine the applause if they show a ND logo at E3 and then the Crash theme music picks up *drools* I mean they could have negotiated Gaikai down another couple million and bought the property off Activision with that money haha

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Some PS3 puzzle games off the top of my head

Go - puzzle
Elefunk
Numblast
Trash panic
Pyotama
Escape plan

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I think of this as Sony growing up with ME. I played on the PS1 and PS2 when I was like 7-8 and they had more kid friendly games back then. Now they have more mature games (as well as kid friendly games) and since I am a more mature person now I prefer the type of games they offer to me.