By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Report: China seeking to end ban on console sales (Sony, Nintendo up)

mrstickball said:
I think that whomever really focuses on cheaper games via digital distribution and F2P is going to win, regardless of who that is.

Like others said, piracy is an issue, but that is totally negated when the console is online. Start throwing out a lot of cheaper XBLA/PSN/WiiWare games, and they'll snap them up at $5 or $10. Look at World of Warcraft: They have more Chinese players than Americans. The profits aren't as large, but its a critical market for Blizzard.

Honestly, I don't think that model benefits Mario and Nintendo at all. But we'll see who is first to cater towards the Chinese.

I think that is already occuring in PC. This would be about adding additional sales of box titles to wealthy people.

Around the Network
pezus said:

Uh, don't Chinese "hate" Americans too? Since people here are saying they hate the Japanese. 

The chinese are still mad about the Nanqing Massacre from WW2 (wich is understandable because it was brutal). They are actually grateful that USA defeated Japan.

Or was it spelled "Nanjing"?

I LOVE ICELAND!

KungKras said:
pezus said:

Uh, don't Chinese "hate" Americans too? Since people here are saying they hate the Japanese.

The chinese are still mad about the Nanqing Massacre from WW2 (wich is understandable because it was brutal). They are actually grateful that USA defeated Japan.

Not that long ago I saw Taiwanese movie about WW2. Oh boy, that was some love of Americans, you might reconsider your opinion :D I do not remember it very well, but according to them Americans behaved like bastards, especially with women (they're taking our girls away!) and cowards that took all the fame from real soliders etc., typical stuff. It ended with some martial arts competetion, Americans cheated, but Chinese eventually won. Happy end.

And the thing that cracked me up... Japanese T-34s :D

Chinese might hate your country if they'll be able to find it on the map, chances of that are... low.

Otakumegane said:
KungKras said:
Otakumegane said:
Very good news for Sony/Nintendo. Obviously the Chinese will take the Asian consoles over the American one.

(Not because it's bad but because of a relevance between cultures)

I don't think so actually.

China doesn't like Japan, and Sony and Nintendo are japanese.

I think they'll go with Microsoft, or make a system of their own.

China still goes with the K-pop and the Asian dramas more than the CSI shows of America. The friction is due to the closeness of the 2 countries' locations. It's like how you fight more with your sister than you would your friend. 

For example, Japan occupied Korea for 36 years, and we still have Dokdo (also an island) problems with Japan, but hey koreans still love the anime and manga.

(And they like our dramas)

Pretty much this. The hate between Japan and China is more at the political level than between normal civilians. As the two countries are pretty close culturally (at least compared to west) Japanese games should have upper hand in Chinese market. It's like when Mattel tried to bring Barbie to China with big money but failed because they didn't understand that Chinese girls want to be cute and not sexy. Just like girls in Japan (Hello Kitty is very popular brand in China).

Nintendo already has a presence in the Chinese market. There are iQue versions of all of their portables and home consoles, except the Wii U as there is usually a one-year delay in releasing iQue versions of their consoles after they launch in Japan/ US/ Europe.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Around the Network
bonkers555 said:

You do realize that Dynasty Warriors the video games is very fictional right. They added A LOT of nonsense into it. They are closer but not by much.

I'm pretty sure the Chinese would be more interested in Monster Hunter and Final Fantasy than Call of Duty and Mass Effect.

NintendoPie said:
I think many of you are skipping over the fact that many of the over 1 Billion Chinese couldn't even afford a console. It's not going to be easy for Sony and Nintendo to break into China and have all these explosive sales that some of you think they'll get. It's not that easy.

Already maybe 1% might be able to buy a console. That are more than 10 million. If they will do it, is another question. But it should at least have the impact of one of the bigger european countries.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

richardhutnik said:
Train wreck said:

from Bloomberg:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-28/sony-nintendo-rise-on-report-china-may-end-game-console-ban.html

Sony up another 8 percent in Japan, will translate big for American ADRs when they open tomorrow bought in at 9.90.  OT this is good news for Sony and Nintendo as they will have another market to sell their goods.

VGChartz to add a fourth sales category for China, or will China end up being merged with Japan and others and be considered "Asia" on here?

I think an asia-region would make sense, maybe with details for some countries like in europe. But I doubt somehow, that ioi has a lot of partners in China, to submit data.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

KungKras said:
pezus said:

Ok yeah no. Am I mad about Japan's occupation of Korea? During WW2 as well? It was brutal. Yeah it's totally overblown, the older generation is the one that is pissed off.

Koreans, Japanese and Chinese are more willing to accept each other's products, foods, and cultures better than American products. (Anime,manga,K-pop,we learn both chinese and Japanese history in schools.Like Americans learn European history here)

If you think that the entire country hates another country becuase of 1 event that happened in long in the past you're wrong. It's more political.

That's like saying that Japan didn't buy Xboxs just because of the nukes. Which frankly I find that some people use as an excuse to explain why they don't sell well in Japan. Have you maybe thought that they just don't like the games on it? 

Japanese food is more prevalent in China than American food, so is Chinese food in Japan, so is Korean in Japan, Chinese in Korea....blah blah blah. We have what a couple 6000 years living close to proximity to each other. We have had countless wars and conflicts over that period of time. You think that the people are so ignorant enough to "hate" 1 country and everything about them becuase of any of those reasons....You fight more with the people closer to you that the people you don't know well.

(Though our rivalry tends to get heated up when it comes to sports, the bronze medal soccer match during the 2012 Olympics between JP and Korea made national headlines in both countries derp. We tend to settle those things by sport.)

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/profile/92109/nintendopie/ Nintendopie  Was obviously right and I was obviously wrong. I will forever be a lesser being than them. (6/16/13)

Conegamer said:
I could see Nintendo benefiting the most from this; with the other two consoles close behind.

China has 1/3rd of the world's population (roughly), if you can make a breakthrough there then you're set really.

No, the world has more than 7 billion people, China has 1.3 billion, India has 1.2 billion. So more a 1/5 for both countries.