By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - USA hates Ps3 confirmed. Edited AC3 sales (my bad :)

Honestly, I just don't get it. Everyone else in the world prefers the Ps3 over the Xbox 360 based on sales (hardware and software). Yet, in the USA the 360 is approaching twice the amount of sold Ps3s. You'd think by now that the Ps3 would be matching the 360 in the USA. WRONG.

HARDWARE - November 17th
360 - 196K
Ps3 - 82K

Just doesn't make much sense even with COD and Halo releasing. The whole year the Ps3 outsold the 360 almost every week consistantly. People already knew COD and Halo were coming out later in the year. 

SOFTWARE

Some prime examples based on the most recent USA chartz (November 17th)

360 Black Ops 2 - 3.4 million
Ps3 Black Ops 2 - 1.9 million

Okay. An easy 360 win and obviously Call of Duty is more popular on the 360. Not really surprising. HOWEVER.

Ps3 Assassin's Creed 3 - 126K
360 Assassin's Creed 3 - 105K

Um. Another popular franchise recently released, yet somehow the 360 (with double install base) can't manage to outsell the Ps3 version? Awkwarddd.
There are plenty more examples but you get the point.

Someone please shed some light on this dire and confusing mess!!!!

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros

Around the Network

EDIT: Nevermind...

Its an American console with American games (part of the answer).

Its because of Xbox Live. 100%

Earlier this gen Xbox Live had a huge advantage over PSN. Thus franchises like COD, Halo, and Gears of War attracted a big online community. As people started deciding which console to upgrade to it became apparent that most of their friends were gaming online on the 360. This created a snowball effect where people kept buying 360s because thats where everyone else was.

Now days in NA if you want to game online with your friends its most likely they are all on Xbox so thats what you buy to play with them

Fud marketing. American's are very good at it.

Around the Network

You forgot the UK.

Not sure, but I think it's also in front of the PS3 in Mexico and Canada.

EDIT: Also I seem to remember that it had more in South Korea as well.

Answer: we need a new Jackie Chan game

Bet with gooch_destroyer, he wins if FFX and FFX-2 will be at $40 each for the vita. I win if it dont

Sign up if you want to see God Eater 2 get localized!! https://www.change.org/petitions/shift-inc-bring-god-eater-2-to-north-america-2#share

What's not to like about the 360? It's a great system with great games, multi-plat and exclusives. Many people (including myself) also prefer the 360 controller over the DS3 (definitely a step backwards from the DS2, IMO.)

I'm from the US, although I haven't lived there in a few years and I prefer the 360 over the PS3. I used to have a PS3 as well, but I got rid of it as I was playing everything on my 360. I have a Wii U pre-ordered, but I'll still buy multi-plats on the 360.

starcraft: "I and every PS3 fanboy alive are waiting for Versus more than FFXIII.
Me since the games were revealed, the fanboys since E3."

Skeeuk: "playstation 3 is the ultimate in gaming acceleration"

HALO 4.. and the real gap probably isn't that big.. based on previous NPD numbers

mM
smbu2000 said:

What's not to like about the 360? It's a great system with great games, multi-plat and exclusives. Many people (including myself) also prefer the 360 controller over the DS3 (definitely a step backwards from the DS2, IMO.)

I'm from the US, although I haven't lived there in a few years and I prefer the 360 over the PS3. I used to have a PS3 as well, but I got rid of it as I was playing everything on my 360. I have a Wii U pre-ordered, but I'll still buy multi-plats on the 360.

I'm not saying the 360 is not deserving good sales. Quite the contrary. The 360 used to be the clear choice when choosing an HD console. However, I think as the generation has progressed, as far as everything goes the Ps3 is pretty equal to the 360 in terms of available software, powerful hardware, online fuctionallity, ect. The 360 should be outselling the Ps3. That's not what I have the problem with.

It should not be outselling the Ps3 this late in the gen by almost double. It just seems weird. And it's only in the USA that the margin is so wide.

Currently own:

• Ps4

Currently playing: Witcher 3, Walking Dead S1/2, GTA5, Dying Light, Tomb Raider Remaster, MGS Ground Zeros