By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the Wii U reach 100 million sales and repeat the success of the Wii?

Can the Wii U sell 100 million consoles?

Yes, easily. More like 120 million! 51 14.87%

Yes, just reach the elusive milestone. 39 11.37%

Maybe. Too early to call! 127 37.03%

No chance it will reach 100 million! 126 36.73%

Total:343

The Wii started with a rush hitting 60 odd million in its first 3 years with 20 million sales in 2007, 2008 and 2009. It was well on pace to outsell the PS2 but the Wii lost momentum as the competition 360 and PS3 launched upgraded Slim models and lowered their  price points.

The Wii U will have 12 to 18 months lead over the PS4 and the XBox 720 and it should set up a lead of around 20 million units. The Wii U price can be lowered as it enters its third year making it more attractive than the higher priced PS4 and Next Box. Wii U will be attractive to third party developers critical for long term success.

Wii U will become the fourth system to reach 100 million sales target following in the footseps of PS1, PS2 and Wii.

Around the Network

lol. Waaaaaaaaaaaaay too early. The Wii hasn't even hit 100 mil yet.

Wii U can do well. I predict its lifetime sales will be between 20 and 200 mil.

If nintendo kept up support for the Wii I am sure it would have been 120m by now. Also more people buy consoles then before so Wii U should make it easily.

At this point its hard to say but I would not rule out the possibility depending on how Nintendo tries to bring back the casual gamers, how it attracts the the core gaming market and how successfully Sony and Microsoft launch their next generation of consoles.

This is the Game of Thrones

Where you either win

or you DIE

even if wii u fails to reach wii like sales I'm pretty sure it will equal or outperform this gens hd consoles...I predict at least 70-80 million lifetime (at least...so to me 100 million or over isn't too far fetched)...

Around the Network

Only if it keeps the level of 3rd party support it's starting out with.

Love and tolerate.

The budget price, motion controls, casual games and influence on being active whilst gaming sent wii's flying off the shelves and into the living room of soccer mums and grandmas. A controller with a screen on it won't provide the same impact.

The price is correct, the lineup good enough, but the real challenge is to give to the gamers great games during next 3 years.

AstroMaSSi rules

the_dengle said:
Wii U can do well. I predict its lifetime sales will be between 20 and 200 mil.

Bold prediction. I'm not sure that happens.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Corey said:
The budget price, motion controls, casual games and influence on being active whilst gaming sent wii's flying off the shelves and into the living room of soccer mums and grandmas. A controller with a screen on it won't provide the same impact.

I see that similar. But the WiiU can be a console with core and casual appeal, like the PS2. The Wii had a big focus on casual gamers and that worked well. But the PS2 with God of ar and Singstar also worked well. The WiiU will have ZombiU and Just Dance, so that could work. But it's too early to decide, if it will reach 100M. We don't know, what the competition is up to. We don't even know, if the competition really will be more powerful or more expensive.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]