By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the Wii U reach 100 million sales and repeat the success of the Wii?

Can the Wii U sell 100 million consoles?

Yes, easily. More like 120 million! 51 14.87%

Yes, just reach the elusive milestone. 39 11.37%

Maybe. Too early to call! 127 37.03%

No chance it will reach 100 million! 126 36.73%

Total:343

The Wii U will not reach those sales without casuals. I doubt they will bag the casuals twice, but we can't predict the future can we.

Around the Network

I don't think any console next gen will hit over 100M.

The wii u will never ever have the same success as the wii for a few reasons.

1.It's $50 to $100 dollars more expensive than the wii was at launch.
2.The wii was the primary choice for the casual gamers because it was different and cheap compared to the xbox 360 and ps3 which were $200 to $300 more expensive than the wii.

And LOL 20 Million lead? Maybe 6to8 Million if they are lucky enough.

Look how long this gen is and still no console has hit 100 million units sold yet.

Impossible to say. The Wii went viral because of interest from the casual market. I can't tell you how many middle aged people who had zero previous interest in gaming bought one because they went to a party and had fun with Wii Sports. The thing is, many of those people consider themselves set on consoles. They will have no desire to rush out and buy something new and improved. In their minds, as long as they can break out the Wii for company now and then, they're good.

There is also the possibility that the casual market will be turned off by the controllers. A lot of people shy away from things that aren't intuitive. True story, just yesterday I heard someone say that game controllers are "too complex"--something I've heard many times before, as have most other gamers. The Wii got around that, but I'm not sure the Wii U will.

I think the Wii U's demographic will have more core than the Wii but far less of the casual. I don't think it will go viral, at least not to the level of the Wii. Does that mean it will sell badly? Not at all. However, I think the Wii's sales rate was an anomaly and that it would be wrong to expect the same from the Wii U.

mikeyo said:
I don't think any console next gen will hit over 100M.

The wii u will never ever have the same success as the wii for a few reasons.

1.It's $50 to $100 dollars more expensive than the wii was at launch.
2.The wii was the primary choice for the casual gamers because it was different and cheap compared to the xbox 360 and ps3 which were $200 to $300 more expensive than the wii.

And LOL 20 Million lead? Maybe 6to8 Million if they are lucky enough.

Look how long this gen is and still no console has hit 100 million units sold yet.

Its not just the cheap price that caught the casuals. The Wii was marketed as a casual family gimmick, rather than a console that would last. 

Turkish said:

S.Peelman said:

Look, this is not my idea.

Reggie himself mentioned selling the Wii in new markets. Sony is only 'dominating' there because they are the only ones in the game. Even there the PS2 runs out of steam by now. It doesn't matter if they've never touched those markets in the last 30 years. There is a first for everything, the Wii there would be a new thing. I think they should do it, what's to lose?

Well, I'm hearing Wii is already available in Latin america, in Chile for example.

I don't know. I don't live there.

Why would Reggie be speaking about these things when they supposedly are officially selling over there? Doesn't compute if you ask me.

All I'm saying was: Wii will get to 100m. If. Then. Else. That's it. And WiiU probably won't.

Around the Network

I think WiiU can do it for a number of reasons. At first I was going to post those reasons but that would make for a long post that nobody will read. So, short answer: Yes.

01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01001001 01111001 01101111 01101100 01100001 01101000 00100001 00100000 01000110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110100 01100101 01110010 01101110 01101001 01110100 01111001 00100001 00100000

Exactly and now the wii u is being marketed as more of a hardcore console than casual.

cant wait to see people get proven wrong on this one. not a chance in hell

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

If we look at the reactions... yes.. back in the wii days many predictet it to do worse than GC.. and now even the most negative predictions says about 60 mill.. this its going to be big.. and i predict better than wii.. (and i think wii will reach +120 mill) But lets see..

And another thing.. ps3 was released one year after 360.. and the gab is not that big.. so it is not a "nature law" that ms and sonys next consols will be much better than wiiu.. they will not make em to expensive.. They tried that ones (leaving all the casulas to wii) don't think they will go down that road again.. (and i'm not even sure if ps4 will ever happend)

I think as long as the hardware itself is profitable, IMO Nintendo will be happy 60 million or so. If it goes above that, great.

Personally I think it's more important that the platform be able to sell a wider variety of games rather than having 90 million users where 20-30 million people are only interested in Wii Sports/Fit/Just Dance.

I'd take a 60 million user base, but one where the users are more enthusiastic about buying a wider variety of content.