By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Can the Wii U reach 100 million sales and repeat the success of the Wii?

Can the Wii U sell 100 million consoles?

Yes, easily. More like 120 million! 51 14.87%

Yes, just reach the elusive milestone. 39 11.37%

Maybe. Too early to call! 127 37.03%

No chance it will reach 100 million! 126 36.73%

Total:343
FromDK said:
Mummelmann said:

No, I don't think it can. 70-80 million would be a great result. The market is moving faster and faster and is branching out into all sorts of areas and hardware, this means that the cake gets smaller and gets devoured a lot faster than before. There's also the simple fact that Nintendo still haven't been able to mend their relationship with 3rd parties and the WiiU as a product just doesn't seem to have the same appeal and impact that the Wii had in it's time, the web was on fire close to Wii launch, not a whole lot of buzz around the WiiU, most of my friends and relatives don't even know Nintendo is releasing a new console at all.

Anyone expecting the WiiU, X-box 720 or PS4 to pull amazing numbers are in for a disappointment in my opinion.

Think about it.. Yes laptops, tablet and smartphones have moved focus, and also bring games.. and it took a bit of the gaming sales.. 

But  the true consols are still the best solution to play games.. AND this time The consols strike back.. have you seen nintendo tvii.. do u know that the wii u will have a super cool html5 browser that can way  more than any thing apple or samsung has in the moment  and that the consols are starting to get apps to..

The consols strike back.. and they are cheap.. (I think the consols sales will be the same or better than last gen)

And that there proves my point; consoles are doing the same thing as every other apparatus, they're taking on more and more functionality, thus fitting into the fast pace of the market and getting caught in the never-ending maelstrom of updates and becoming obsolete quicker.

Around the Network

Early launch well ahead of its competition, good line up of games, third party support better than previous 3 generations of Nintendo consoles.
80 million should be the bare minimum amount wii u should sell. 100 million should be an obtainable sales target. 120 million is not unrealistic.

Wii U will reach 100m because this time around Ninty has put the legs and longevity into the system, something which they didn't put into the Wii.

Nintendo I think, controversially, has to focus on the 'casual' gamers as oppose to the 'hardcore' gamer to hit that 100m mark. See the thing is that hardcore gamers will either buy the Wii U or they wouldn't. Casual gamers, on the other hand are the ones that Nintendo can convince, if they haven't already made up their minds, that the Wii U is right for them and their families.

So I think with the right focus, Ninty can hit 100 million with the Wii U.

Nintendo Network ID: DaRevren

I love My Wii U, and the potential it brings to gaming.

Nah.

It is in my prayers so God will answer them. You are welcome Ninety lovers.

Around the Network

If the Wii took a vacation for its last two years and still managed 100 million, the Wii U can do it too.

Estelle and Adol... best characters ever! XD

As a Sony fan, I put down on the poll: "Maybe. Too early to call!"

My respects for Nintendo, they did many things right this generation. I love competition, and more consoles in the market place will always be better than one/two.

Having said that, Nintendo didn't grab my attention this generation with the Wii, but WiiU seem promising to me because of some of the games its coming out with. The Zombie game seems very appealing to me right now, but one game does not make me buy a console. I need about 4-5 for me to really buy a competing console. My passion is JRPGs and if Nintendo can produce better HD content in the future than Sony then I may find myself with a second console in my room. I can't speak for everyone, but its too early to say that it will reach 100 million sales; there are two many factors in play to say the least. What I can say is that it will easily get there if it can steal a lot of market share from both Xbox & PS3; but the strategy that Nintendo has to take has to be a good one.

i think the wii u is going to do an xbox 360. release first and sell decently until one of the other 2 come out with something really special and dominate. will it be microsoft or sony?

SOLIDSNAKE08 said:
i think the wii u is going to do an xbox 360. release first and sell decently until one of the other 2 come out with something really special and dominate. will it be microsoft or sony?

So by the end of 2014, either the PS4 or 720 should be ahead of the WiiU. Since the Wii  pasted the 360 by the end of 2007. I think you are going to be very disappointed lol.

I voted for "Maybe".

I honestly believe has already set itself for doing really well this generation. HD, Internet play were a game changer (specially for MS) and this time that won`t be as impactful this generation. So what does Nintendo do? Tablet like controller, MiiVerse and TVii! Not only that, but is already getting good support from big 3rd parties and smaller ones (eshop). Add to this small developers the recent announcment of Unity engine for Wii U and you get an open door for those games and gamers from the phone/tablet segment.

Not only that but Nintendo lets play your Wii games and use your Wii controllers on Wii U - to get people less worried about making a big investment again.

Nintendo is already bringing a lot to the table this generation. The question is: what MS and Sony bring that is new?