By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "The PS2's death"-predictions

Yeah i think in mid 2009 it will burn in its flames.

Current Consoles: Xbox 360 Elite, Playstation 2, Gaming Rig, Nintendo Wii, Playstation 3.

Xbox Live: Jessman_Aus - Playing: Ace Combat 6, Fifa 09

Playstation Network: Jessman_Aus - Playing: MGS4, Resistance 2

Wii Freind Code: 3513-9191-8534-3866 - Playing: SSBB

Brawl Code: 1590-6125-1250

Xfire: J3ssman - Playing: Fallout 3, Farcry 2

Jessman: Fears the Mangina

Around the Network

It will not die this year, especially since most PS3-models have o backward-compatibility. I myself think about buing a PS2, since I have no own, but some games. But I think new game releases will become rare over this year.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Maybe Sony are cleverer then we think. Take the PS2 stuff out of the PS3 and people will buy new PS2s to replace that lost BC when buying a PS3...they make money on a console that's making money and sell a PS3.

Geniuous...genious?...genius...(sp?)

Anyway, with PS2 still being the biggest market, it ain't dieing anytime soon. I know a few people who recently bought one because they are cheap and still great.

If Sony want to really rake in some cash, lower the price to £50-75 ($100 or so) then watch it fly out.

Hmm, pie.

Sony won't stop the PS2 until the PS3 has a real foothold in the gaming market of today.  I can see the PS2 still selling well into 2009, but the games will dry up over the course of this year.

I don't know why people are talking about the PS4, there won't be any signs or proper talk of the PS4 for another 3-4 years anyway as I can see the PS3 leading a very strong and long life of the course.

Timeline

Summer 2008 - Sony announce a final PS2 pricedrop, seeing the UK price dropping to £50-£70 including a game or two.

Winter 2008 - Sees the final few big PS2 game releases WW.

Early 2009 - Sony announces the retiral of the PS2, but states that they will continue to back the system in the meantime. 

Late 2009 - PS2 sales are all but dried up, new games are only appearing on the PS3, yet highstreet stores are still offering huge console bundle packs for next to nothing.

Prediction (June 12th 2017)

Permanent pricedrop for both PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro in October.

PS4 Slim $249 (October 2017)

PS4 Pro $349 (October 2017)

Old consoles never die; they just fade away.

Around the Network

I think the PS2 will be around until the next gen gets started with the 720.

In 2010 they'll probably stop producing that console and they will ship their last ones (just as they do that with old PSX).

I second that.

I hope it's sooner rather than later

I would say sometime in 2011. I'm think that Sony will try to position the PS2 as a cheaper, more hardcore entry console as an alternative to the Wii. (IMO, this would be more likely to attract the "lapsed gamer" catagory than the kiddie-Wii (no-offense).)   
Played_Out said:

Nice way of putting it. Of course, the Xbox is an exception to this rule. (It's demise was more like an extinction event with a rapid usurption by a more advanced lifeform)

Not trying to be a fanboy. Of course, it's hard when you own the best console eve... dang it

HappySqurriel said:

The PS2's sales will see a noticeable drop in 2008 with a modest sales spike if Sony finally decides to drop the price to sub-$100 (as compared to their 2007 sales), and another noticeable drop in 2009; through 2008 the PS2 will retain most of its retail space because sales of software will continue to perform adequately, but in 2009 half the space will be reclaimed in order to provide more retail space for newer and more popular systems. The PS2 will continue to have nominal sales and shrinking retail space through 2010 and 2011 and will eventually be pulled from shelves in 2012.

fixed =)