By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - "The PS2's death"-predictions

Game Over! said:

So, when will PlayStation 2 "die"? What do you think? Or will it "survive" another generation (hopefully not)? Will it survive longer in this generation that PlayStation did in the last generation?

(It's really annoying to see that the PS2 is still selling well...)

Oh no, the fact that people voluntarly choose to buy a PS2 is pissing off Game over!. I am sure the PS2 will die within days and will not be mentioned as the best selling console in history. Let's not hope that a console with a huge library of good affordable games will be within reach of the general public.

It might please some people to get a PS2 with some games as it's their money and they get to spend it on their own terms, but with you hoping it won't I am sure all people will get scared of your fanboy nonsense.

The PS2 has survived so long because of it's huge variation in games and quality build. It's low price isn't hurting matters either. The price of the PS2 will be lowered to 99 dollars soon and the PS2 will spike again. It will probably be the day you hang yourself. I suggest you now return to whatever console you prefer and play on that one instead of bashing another.

PSN name: Gazz1979 (feel free to add me, but please put your Vgchartz name in the message!)

Battlefield 2: Gazz1979

Around the Network

Well, shelf space for PS2 is getting smaller and smaller here. Right now, the shelf space of PS2+PS3 combined is smaller than Wii's and 360's. I think that the Wii is killing it, not the PS3, so I doubt we se something mentionable on the PS2 from this year and afterwards.

When the PS4 hit the streets the PS2 will die, like for every generation from every constructor.

this will be the last year for the ps2...after ghostbusters....there will be nothing else

When the PS4 hit the streets the PS2 will die, like for every generation from every constructor.

Around the Network

In 2-3 years time, it still has some kick in it, it seems!

The Wii may actually extend the PS2's life. I would think many third parties would port a Wii game to the PS2 to get more sales.

Sony may/should release a PS2-HD with 720p/1080i upscaling capacity (if the cost won't add up too much). They completely dropped the PS2 BC of PS3 in Asia and PAL region, and soon will be North America. They should find a way to let people play their PS2 games on HDTV.

Sony won't pass on the chance to continuously milk PS2. Strategically, that is a good idea to stall the Wii sale because the third party developers can easily port the Wii games to PS2 to make more money.

It (PS3's market share) might hit 30%, but definently not more. ~ Neo

Flaming (Calling another user (any user) a fanboy is flaming.) ~ Machina-AX

ps2 will make 150 million.

mM

i think it will be around another 1-2yrs before dropping off and being allowed to rest.