By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Let's talk about countries!

What continent do you live on?

North America 58 30.85%

South America 15 7.98%

Europe 87 46.28%

Africa 3 1.60%

Asia 7 3.72%

Australia 13 6.91%

Antarctica 5 2.66%

Total:188
crissindahouse said:
yum123 said:
pezus said:
NintendoPie said:
fauzman said:
I see you have Australia and ANTARCTICA on your poll, but not NZ (which is where I am from). Guess there are more people from Antarctica on this site, than from NZ.

Last time I checked New Zealand isn't a Continent.

The continent Australia includes NZ ;D. Also called Meganesia

I assume thats sarcasm. if not complete ignorance. thats like us saying oh usa incudes canada

sry but you are from nz you should know that the country you live in is a part of the australian continent in most definitions.  north america includes canada and usa and australia includes australia and nz. that's not like saying usa includes canada^^

Austral - asian continent not Australian continent. Or Oceania.

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:

Austral - asian continent not Australian continent. Or Oceania.

yeah ok sry i always confuse different conception of different languages. but should be clear what pezus meant, he didn't mean that nz is a part of the country australia. so at least he isn't ignorant.

yum123 said:
killerzX said:
yum123 said:
pezus said:
NintendoPie said:
fauzman said:
I see you have Australia and ANTARCTICA on your poll, but not NZ (which is where I am from). Guess there are more people from Antarctica on this site, than from NZ.

Last time I checked New Zealand isn't a Continent.

The continent Australia includes NZ ;D. Also called Meganesia

I assume thats sarcasm. if not complete ignorance. thats like us saying oh usa incudes canada

Australia is a continent and a country, the continent of australia, includes the country Australia

No the continent is australasia otherwise we (NZ) would be continentless

no

Troll_Whisperer said:
c03n3nj0 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
c03n3nj0 said:
2. As for Nicaragua, what I like: The geography, the food, the culture, the friendliness of the people. Childhood memories. It's a beautiful country.

What I dislike: It's poor. REALLY poor. Social inequality, corrupt government. Relatively uneducated population.

When I was in Nicaragua and I told them I was from Spain, several people asked me if I had gone by bus.

Wow, really? I never encountered anything like that. 

I mean, with it being a Spanish colony I'd assume everyone at least KNEW where Spain was; even withoutan education you'd at least learn it culturally. Where did you visit? 

León, Granada, Managua (just a few hours), Ometepe and a town next to Río San Juan, I don't remember the name. These people were from a small village near León, I also don't remember the name, lol.

Ah, all right. I lived in Managua and on the outskirts of a town named Juigalpa. 

Anyhow, if it was a small village then that makes a bit more sense, lol. We lived relatviely wel-off (government-emplyed parent) and I always wondered how people could live in shacks outside of towns and what not. I was like 6 so not in the "oh, the poverty!" sense, but more in the "Huh, how do they separate the bathroom from the livingroom?" and "that would make a cool playhouse" sense. -___-

Tag (Courtesy of Fkusumot) "If I'm posting in this thread then it's probally a spam thread."                               

c03n3nj0 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
c03n3nj0 said:
Troll_Whisperer said:
c03n3nj0 said:
2. As for Nicaragua, what I like: The geography, the food, the culture, the friendliness of the people. Childhood memories. It's a beautiful country.

What I dislike: It's poor. REALLY poor. Social inequality, corrupt government. Relatively uneducated population.

When I was in Nicaragua and I told them I was from Spain, several people asked me if I had gone by bus.

Wow, really? I never encountered anything like that. 

I mean, with it being a Spanish colony I'd assume everyone at least KNEW where Spain was; even withoutan education you'd at least learn it culturally. Where did you visit? 

León, Granada, Managua (just a few hours), Ometepe and a town next to Río San Juan, I don't remember the name. These people were from a small village near León, I also don't remember the name, lol.

Ah, all right. I lived in Managua and on the outskirts of a town named Juigalpa. 

Anyhow, if it was a small village then that makes a bit more sense, lol. We lived relatviely wel-off (government-emplyed parent) and I always wondered how people could live in shacks outside of towns and what not. I was like 6 so not in the "oh, the poverty!" sense, but more in the "Huh, how do they separate the bathroom from the livingroom?" and "that would make a cool playhouse" sense. -___-

Yes, these people were living in a shack with no electricity and no floor, they were stepping on the ground. I don't think they had running water either.

No troll is too much for me to handle. I rehabilitate trolls, I train people. I am the Troll Whisperer.

Around the Network
yum123 said:

No, the continent is Australia, I've already addressed this.

New Zealand is technically on the submerged continent of Zealandia - look into it, I'm not making it up.

EDIT: Heck, I'll do the job for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zealandia_(continent)

Aielyn said:
yum123 said:

No, the continent is Australia, I've already addressed this.

New Zealand is technically on the submerged continent of Zealandia - look into it, I'm not making it up.

EDIT: Heck, I'll do the job for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zealandia_(continent)

We already learned, that different countries define the continent under different names. I as a german know it as Oceania or Australia and Oceania. Australasia was new to me, but some seem to refer to it this way. And in the US it seems the continent is named Australia.

If you compare the english and the german Wikipedia about Continent, you can see it: the english has listed Australia in the table, while the german has Australien/Ozeanien.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kontinent

So, there's no use to it to discuss it any further, different cultures has named the continent differently (and may also have different definitions what is included).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

TWRoO said:
non-gravity said:

Poor thing. Someone stole your Finland.

I think all countries should move back to their pre-1650 boundaries

This is an interesting set of maps: http://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/2000/index.html

Unfortunately doesn't even show the whole of Europe, but it's interesting watching the boundaries change over a couple of thousand years.

Funny how England is referred to as England-Scotland-Netherlands just because the monarch at the time was parttime king of Scotland and acting sovereign of the Netherlands.

William III was asked to invade England to dispose of their Roman-Catholic leader at the time. After his sister-in-law being put on the throne their bloodline ended and Great Britain had to buy another sovereign in the marketplace.

History's a mess

Mnementh said:
We already learned, that different countries define the continent under different names. I as a german know it as Oceania or Australia and Oceania. Australasia was new to me, but some seem to refer to it this way. And in the US it seems the continent is named Australia.

If you compare the english and the german Wikipedia about Continent, you can see it: the english has listed Australia in the table, while the german has Australien/Ozeanien.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kontinent

So, there's no use to it to discuss it any further, different cultures has named the continent differently (and may also have different definitions what is included).

And in which language are we discussing this? In which language was the poll written?

Note that I'm actually Australian, and the continent is "Australia" to us, too. It's not just the "US" name for it.

Troll_Whisperer said:
I'm from Spain, I've spent the last 1/3 of my life (7 years) in the UK and just about to move to Japan (just a few weeks!!!). Voted Europe obviously.

I'll keep the likes/dislikes short because I can talk about this for ages.

Spain like: Good food, good weather (not so much where I live though), good life, unless you're affected by...
Spain dislike: Economy is utter shit.

How come? Hasn't all of Spain got Mediterranian subtropical weather?