By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Let's talk about countries!

What continent do you live on?

North America 58 30.85%

South America 15 7.98%

Europe 87 46.28%

Africa 3 1.60%

Asia 7 3.72%

Australia 13 6.91%

Antarctica 5 2.66%

Total:188
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Swedish guy here, in case you haven't noticed already. I live on a pretty small island (with a great historical fortress) very close to Gothenburg, which is our second largest city. 

You want an interesting fact? Sweden looked like this at one point:

Then Russia, Poland and Denmark-Norway started fucking with us at the same time. We eventually defeated all of them except Russia who stole what is now called Finland, Estonia and their surrounding territories from us. Luckily, we managed to steal Norway from Denmark to compensate for the loss.

Poor thing. Someone stole your Finland.

I think all countries should move back to their pre-1650 boundaries

Around the Network
yum123 said:
pezus said:
NintendoPie said:
fauzman said:
I see you have Australia and ANTARCTICA on your poll, but not NZ (which is where I am from). Guess there are more people from Antarctica on this site, than from NZ.

Last time I checked New Zealand isn't a Continent.

The continent Australia includes NZ ;D. Also called Meganesia

I assume thats sarcasm. if not complete ignorance. thats like us saying oh usa incudes canada

Australia is a continent and a country, the continent of australia, includes the country Australia

non-gravity said:
IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Swedish guy here, in case you haven't noticed already. I live on a pretty small island (with a great historical fortress) very close to Gothenburg, which is our second largest city. 

You want an interesting fact? Sweden looked like this at one point:

Then Russia, Poland and Denmark-Norway started fucking with us at the same time. We eventually defeated all of them except Russia who stole what is now called Finland, Estonia and their surrounding territories from us. Luckily, we managed to steal Norway from Denmark to compensate for the loss.

Poor thing. Someone stole your Finland.

I think all countries should move back to their pre-1650 boundaries

This is an interesting set of maps: http://www.euratlas.net/history/europe/2000/index.html

Unfortunately doesn't even show the whole of Europe, but it's interesting watching the boundaries change over a couple of thousand years.

TWRoO said:
NintendoPie said:
fauzman said:
I see you have Australia and ANTARCTICA on your poll, but not NZ (which is where I am from). Guess there are more people from Antarctica on this site, than from NZ.

Last time I checked New Zealand isn't a Continent.

Last time I checked, 'America' isn't a country

fauzman is right, the continent N.Z is in is usually called Australasia, or Oceania (I think there may actually be slight differences in the territories of those two, but they both include Australia and New Zealand)

We just call it America because it's part of our name. Kind of like how Rol sometimes calls his country the "Down Under" or "The Outback."

Marks said:
I'm from Canada, it's a nice place to live. You can do a lot of things without getting bothered too much.

But there is so much tax here, it gets ridiculous. And it's impossible to start a small business here, my dad started a small charter aircraft business a couple years ago and the amount of licenses and approvals he had to get to start it was absolutely ridiculous. My dad already has money from a prior business he had so it didn't really matter, but to the average Joe there is no way he could start a small business here besides something basic like a convenience store. Not a business friendly country from what I've seen. There are a lot more Wal-marts than small businesses thanks to all of our regulations.

Oh god you have WalMarts in Canada? I feel so sorry for you! :/ Sorry to all other countries who also have that horrible company!

Around the Network
NintendoPie said:
Marks said:
I'm from Canada, it's a nice place to live. You can do a lot of things without getting bothered too much.

But there is so much tax here, it gets ridiculous. And it's impossible to start a small business here, my dad started a small charter aircraft business a couple years ago and the amount of licenses and approvals he had to get to start it was absolutely ridiculous. My dad already has money from a prior business he had so it didn't really matter, but to the average Joe there is no way he could start a small business here besides something basic like a convenience store. Not a business friendly country from what I've seen. There are a lot more Wal-marts than small businesses thanks to all of our regulations.

Oh god you have WalMarts in Canada? I feel so sorry for you! :/ Sorry to all other countries who also have that horrible company!

I don't blame Wal-mart though, I blame the government for creating an environment when only huge rich companies (Walmart, Target, Costco, etc.) can survive and it's impossible for the little guy to compete. 

killerzX said:
Busted said:
I've always wondered why is so hard for most people refer to the US as United states of america i mean, isn't that how is called? xD whatever. How many continents do exist? o_O

well most people dont call their county by its full name.

do you call yours Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela?

or people from Mexico, do they say United Mexican States.

for most people the answer is no.

people call the United States of America, America because its in the name, and its shorter.

well maybe it feels weird because I do ^^ (say the full name)

I'm from the Principality of Sunderland, located on the English riviera in western Europe, bordered by Mel Gibson country.

Marks said:
NintendoPie said:
Marks said:

I don't blame Wal-mart though, I blame the government for creating an environment when only huge rich companies (Walmart, Target, Costco, etc.) can survive and it's impossible for the little guy to compete. 

I'm going to blame WalMart because I despise them.

(I don't mind Target though... possibly because it's not full of trash.)

NintendoPie said:
Marks said:
NintendoPie said:
Marks said:

I'm going to blame WalMart because I despise them.

(I don't mind Target though... possibly because it's not full of trash.)

Haha yeah I hate walmart too :) I only buy from there when it's the last possible option.