By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Let's talk about countries!

What continent do you live on?

North America 58 30.85%

South America 15 7.98%

Europe 87 46.28%

Africa 3 1.60%

Asia 7 3.72%

Australia 13 6.91%

Antarctica 5 2.66%

Total:188

Uhh, can someone just put NZ as a vote option so people actually contribute to the thread.........

Around the Network
TeddostheFireKing said:

I was born in the North of England in between Liverpool and Manchester. I enjoy where I live for the most part, the surrounding area can be little rough at times and the people from Liverpool with the scouse accents are awful xD. But I love the local scenary, state welfare and relative ease of life here :)

RedInker said:
Born and raised in Bristol, England. Enland is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I have family roots to Northern Ireland. I am proud to be British and drink a stupid amount of tea. Im not a fan of the EU and would vote to leave it in a refferendum.

I have family in Western Super Mare, they live near the large Waitrose, I do hope you know where that is :P

Weston? That's near Glasgow isn't it???? Lol, only kidding. I got to Weston -Super-Mare sometimes and go on the new pier. It is a nice day out when the sun shines, which hasn't been a lot so far this "summer"  Around these parts of the world it's known as Weston-Super-Mud. Lol. 

Wow, I didn't know there would be so much debate about Australia, New Zealand and the surrounding islands.   If I added or changed anything then the poll would reset. I believe just keeping it Australia is good enough considering that is what is listed on wiki ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent ).

"A continent is one of several very large landmasses on Earth. They are generally identified by convention rather than any strict criteria, with seven regions commonly regarded as continents—they are (from largest in size to smallest): Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Antarctica, Europe, and Australia."

Vote for Australia if you live on an island that is near it (unless you don't want to).  Sorry to all you islanders!  I love visiting islands though... 

IIIIITHE1IIIII said:

Swedish guy here, in case you haven't noticed already. I live on a pretty small island (with a great historical fortress) very close to Gothenburg, which is our second largest city. 

You want an interesting fact? Sweden looked like this at one point:

Then Russia, Poland and Denmark-Norway started fucking with us at the same time. We eventually defeated all of them except Russia who stole what is now called Finland, Estonia and their surrounding territories from us. Luckily, we managed to steal Norway from Denmark to compensate for the loss.

I've studied Norway, Sweden, Denmark a lot considering I have some Norwegian blood in me.  I usually refer to myself as a Viking.  I find the Viking era one of the most interesting eras in history.  Vikings contributed a lot more than just pillaging.  They basically set up Dublin as one of their main trade cities.  They helped found Russia by clearing out the barbarians that were blocking the river trade routes (they pretty much organized the disorganized tribes that were living in Russia at the time).  The name Russia comes from the Rus Vikings.  I can go on and on...  Oh and I don't like all the credit that goes to Christopher Columbus.  Leif Ericson deserves more credit.

I live in the UK. More specifically, in Essex, England. I go to university in Kent (University of Kent, Canterbury).

I've been to France (Paris and Britanny), Spain (Majorca, Madrid), Turkey (Oludeniz), Morocco (Agadir), Andorra, USA (Florida and New York), as well as other parts of the UK (different areas of England, as well as Scotland and Wales).

I'm moving to Hong Kong at the end of August for a year, but I'm going back to Florida for 3 weeks just before.

What I like about where I live? Well, I live in a particularly wealthy part of the country, in fact, the district I live in was put into the top 10 places to live in the UK, earlier in the year... and I'm living in one of the nicer parts of that district. This takes into account wealth, job prospects (unemployment below 2%), schools, weather, crime, etc. So, I have a pretty good life. I also live right next to a river and beautiful countryside, which makes for fantastic walks.

Also, where I live is exceptionally socially liberal... no societal issues with homosexuality, modern family life, that kind of thing. People just don't care about the affairs of other people. I like that.

What I dislike about where I live is more to do with the country in general. I don't like the typical culture of expecting the Government to solve every problem, I also don't like the exceptionally high taxes (50% on income (plus national insurance), 20% on consumption, 60%+ on fuel, high taxes on alcohol, property taxes, road taxes, etc. My dad worked out that his effective marginal tax rate is somewhere between 85-90%).

Around the Network
sethnintendo said:

I've studied Norway, Sweden, Denmark a lot considering I have some Norwegian blood in me.  I usually refer to myself as a Viking.  I find the Viking era one of the most interesting eras in history.  Vikings contributed a lot more than just pillaging.  They basically set up Dublin as one of their main trade cities.  They helped found Russia by clearing out the barbarians that were blocking the river trade routes (they pretty much organized the disorganized tribes that were living in Russia at the time).  The name Russia comes from the Rus Vikings.  I can go on and on...  Oh and I don't like all the credit that goes to Christopher Columbus.  Leif Ericson deserves more credit.

yeah that's true. many people think vikings were stupid idiots or something. they were the most progressive humans of that time. just ask pezus after "althing"!

RedInker said:
TeddostheFireKing said:

I was born in the North of England in between Liverpool and Manchester. I enjoy where I live for the most part, the surrounding area can be little rough at times and the people from Liverpool with the scouse accents are awful xD. But I love the local scenary, state welfare and relative ease of life here :)

RedInker said:
Born and raised in Bristol, England. Enland is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. I have family roots to Northern Ireland. I am proud to be British and drink a stupid amount of tea. Im not a fan of the EU and would vote to leave it in a refferendum.

I have family in Western Super Mare, they live near the large Waitrose, I do hope you know where that is :P

Weston? That's near Glasgow isn't it???? Lol, only kidding. I got to Weston -Super-Mare sometimes and go on the new pier. It is a nice day out when the sun shines, which hasn't been a lot so far this "summer"  Around these parts of the world it's known as Weston-Super-Mud. Lol. 

lol sorry, I didn't know how it was spelt :P

I've been on the new pier a few times, its been good when I've been, but as you've said, this "summer" has truly been awful so far :(

Aielyn said:
TWRoO said:

fauzman is right, the continent N.Z is in is usually called Australasia, or Oceania (I think there may actually be slight differences in the territories of those two, but they both include Australia and New Zealand)

Neither Australasia nor Oceania are continents. They are two different geographic regions, each covering a subtly different set of countries, including some that are considered part of Asia (which is a continent).

The continent that contains Australia is called Australia. Not Australasia, not Oceania, but Australia. Sometimes, it's referred to as Meganesia, but that's not the common name for it.

I stand corrected.

I was taught it to be Australasia though :-/ Not even heard of the term Meganesia.

Born in Anvers, Belgium. Then I spent 6 years as a Child in Kano, Nigeria where I have fond (yet fuzzy) memories there.

And from then till last year I was raised in my country of origin Lebanon. I live in the capital Beirut, and I would like to say that it is a beautiful place, lots of vibe in the city! Plus the country has loads of sight seeing, great lifestyle, Mediterranean beach, beautiful women, delicious food... may I say more?

Negatives: Lots of corruption that disrupts the country whether it be political or economic.

Now studying in Manchester. It's ok here but I prefer London more, I like the city vibe. 

So yeah basically I've lived across 3 continents. Not too shabby :P

I'm from Canada, it's a nice place to live. You can do a lot of things without getting bothered too much.

But there is so much tax here, it gets ridiculous. And it's impossible to start a small business here, my dad started a small charter aircraft business a couple years ago and the amount of licenses and approvals he had to get to start it was absolutely ridiculous. My dad already has money from a prior business he had so it didn't really matter, but to the average Joe there is no way he could start a small business here besides something basic like a convenience store. Not a business friendly country from what I've seen. There are a lot more Wal-marts than small businesses thanks to all of our regulations.