By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo can never seem to satisfy fans

He's right, see the amount of wrong s*** written about the 3DS XL just to crap the Nintendo fans.

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum

Around the Network
archbrix said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
archbrix said:
S.T.A.G.E. said

I didnt make a definition of a gimmick, I know what a gimmick is.

gim·mick

   [gim-ik]  Show IPA
noun
an ingenious or novel device, scheme, or stratagem,especially one designed to attract
  attention or increase appeal.

The thing is, motion controls (when properly applied) are more than just a novel scheme to increase appeal.  They can actually better the experience for certain genres such as golf or bowling, not to mention pointer controls making FPSs far more enjoyable (for me anyway).  You wouldn't call d-pads or analogue sticks gimmicks even though basic 8-way joysticks were the prior standard, would you?

The perfect example of a gimmick is the 3D in the 3DS, as it fits the definition to a tee.

The Wii Mote made gaming easier for families who hate the complexities of gaming. It ushered in competition from Microsoft and Sony to see who could dumb down gaming the most. As usual if a proven novelty shows itself large sums of money and casuals with fleeting interest shall follow. Expect Nintendo to pander to the core this generation since the casuals are used up. Even though Nintendo takes gimmicks seriously, it like most gimmicks will be a temporary fix. Microsoft took the rest of Nintendos casual momentum with their gimmick in 2010 with the Kinect and Nintendo experienced their first loss in 2011. 

Motion controls did remove the complexities for sure, but they also did more than that for the market as a whole.  Like I said, you wouldn't call analogue sticks gimmicks, as they became prevalent in the market; so will motion controllers/cameras be a part of gaming in the future as well.  Imagine when motion controllers are 100% accurate or when Kinect works flawlessly and gives people a true "Minority Report" type experience.  These things aren't going away; they're only going to improve.  WiiU still supports Wii remotes/motion+ and Kinect 2.0 is inevitable.  The mass-market appeal shows us that motion controls won't just be relegated to the 7th generation.

I agree with you there.I guess the difference between the d-pad/joystiq and the analogue sticks/motion controls scenarios is this..the d-pad that was introduced with the NES after Atari crashed completely, and successfully, replaced the joystiq for every genre known at the time, so much that it´s still used...while motion controls can´t do the same.

Like you said, they improve certain genres, but not all.The d-pad successfully and completely replaced the joystiq, motion controls won´t do the same to analogue sticks, they´ll merely coexist.

happydolphin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sad. Your examples were things that aren't gimmicks. If you're using newer elements to further the a conventional object (or the accepted norm) its not a gimmick but an evolution of camera/action control and ergonomic design. Gimmicks are slick and novel ideas made to gain casual attention. Those examples you gave as a column changed the way gaming will be played for a while and have become the accepted norm where they are. Motion controls have still met backlash from the traditionalists and have either been thrown away by the casuals after they got burned out from using it. All my friends who still have the Wii no longer use the motion controls for it but rather the Gamecube for the retro controllers now. Go figure, eh?

Funny, I swear I wouldn't touch Metroid Prime until I got my hands on the trilogy once I had a taste of MP3. That's just me tho, so much for anecdotal evidence? Remember, the people around you are probably heavily influenced by the very things people like Jumpin, arch and some others as well as me have been exposing: gamer snobbery.

I'll agree that motion controls are not matured as a technology (still need to be refined and evolve), but to downright reject them is a whole different attitude.

The N64 digital 360deg controller stick was "a slick and novel idea made to gain casual attention", as well as core attention. It was made to expand gaming. Now you could do things like spin bowser around by the tail and play mini games in Mario Party. Now do you see how the application and marketing directed towards casuals is highly unrelated to the technology, intrinsically?

But that's not the worst part. The worst part is that Nintendo gamers have 1) had to build this argument (already a problem in its own right), but that 2) It took them downright 7 years to clear it up and expose it as it is. Lies are hard to debunk and chase at times, believe it or not. It's not just about saying words, they have a span, words have a span. And sadly, the Wii's gimmick name came from Sony's filthy PR sewer. I'm glad those days are over, but despite Sony even releasing its own flavor of motion controls, the fans still continue to promote the lies.

Look, it would be one thing to tell me "Motion controls are not yet mature to be taken seriously 100%". That's a fair claim. But to say they're only good for the garbage bin... that's over the top imho.

Analog sticks didnt casualize the experience, it allowed control for cameras in 3D realms. Before that cameras were fixed in videogames. It increased immersion in hack N Slash, Open world environments and more. Before this time many games were top down or side scrollers. As I said....it helped gaming evolve, it wasn't a gimmick.

happydolphin said:
flagstaad said:
I don't think the fans are hard to please, specially when they have all the tools to do it, here it is how they could fix their presentation without making big changes...

-Remove the control explanation, it was given on sunday, no need to repeat
-Remove the Sing game from it, reduce time on Wii Fit U
-Shorten the NintendoLand showcase, don't explain a mini-game, instead mention all the franchises that will be included and show that there is has some kind of depth
-Shorten 3DS games on stage (they were having a secondary presentation for that), add a reel with a lot of games that are comming out soon for the console (include the ones for the next day presentation)
-Mention very briefly the Wii, just show a trailer of The Last Story and Kirby's Collection, and announce Fatal Frame 2 (already translated by NoE) for an american release
-Add P100 to the presentation
-Add Wario & Game
-Add a surprise at the end, any kind is good enough, here are some possibilities: mention the new game that Retro is working on, Confirm that Square-Enix is working on something exclusvie for the Wii U, announce a some to be release third party game with exclusive content for the Wii U, confirm that Monster Hunter 3G is comming to America, or show the new 3DS XL.

Tell me if that would not be a better presentation? would you be satisfied with it?

Yes, I would. This is a great post, and truly shows where the presentation this year was lacking. It's all about presentation, not substance. Imho Nintendo at least had a semblant of substance, the rest is marketing, but they didn't do it right.

This we can agree upon. Nintendo usually sell themselves short by making what they have seem to be less than it is.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

@Mr Khan. Exactly.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Analog sticks didnt casualize the experience, it allowed control for cameras in 3D realms. Before that cameras were fixed in videogames. It increased immersion in hack N Slash, Open world environments and more. Before this time many games were top down or side scrollers. As I said....it helped gaming evolve, it wasn't a gimmick

You're doing it again, but the funny part is you don't even realize it. I just showed how the analog stick could be shown to be a casual value-add, and you focused on what gave it an edge in the more traditional gaming experiences. The same exact thing can be done for the Wiimote. I fear there's no helping your mindset, you're a product of PR brainwashing imho.

And this is not a jab a you, it's a jab at propaganda and at companies that make it a practice.

Around the Network

motion controls have succesfully improved many genres, casual and hardcore...also Stage says mcontrols have simplified the experience in order to atract non gamers...how can you apply that in genres like FPS, and sports games? its not easier to press a button than making a full swing, lets say, on a tennis game?

they made the experience closer to what would the real experience, and thats an achievemnt, of course, its far from perfection...

Most of the "fans" Nintendo never seems to satisfy are the Sony and Xbox fans; who would more likely see positive features as negatives for them, because they don't want Nintendo consoles to be better (in hardware, or marketing strategy) than their consoles.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

As a gamer for about 20 years, I agree we are insatiable folk. To say otherwise would prove you are not a legit gamer or you are in denial.