By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo can never seem to satisfy fans

phenom08 said:
@happydolphin that makes no sense, how are games that the PS3 and 360 already have, going to grab Ps3 and 360 gamers. If you and me both know that, you think Nintendo doesn't? My proof is in the 3ds lol. They have said they are targeting the core first with the 3ds right or wrong? 2 Mario games have been released and many more are also coming. The first game they show off at both conferences running on the WiiU just happen to be Mario games lol and you still believe they are targeting the hardcore lol. Im not saying they wouldn't like some of the hardcore gamers but this belief of Nintendo is targeting the hardcore is only mess hardcore gamers want to believe to make it seem as if Nintendo is admitting they were wrong about targeting the expanded audience.

I wouldn't dismiss your theory too quickly, but I'll address some of your points.

1) 

The first game they show off at both conferences running on the WiiU just happen to be Mario games lol and you still believe they are targeting the hardcore lol.

Nintendo did say deeper and wider. Their offering of 2D Mario doesn't eliminate or disprove a bi-lateral mission which also included appealing to the core. Granted, the balance of what they display leaning one way over another would be an indicator of their direction, but it would also be an indicator of their failure to properly cater to their two desired markets. I vote for the latter, and it fits with this years' investors briefing in April. Imho, them focusing on Mario and Nintendoland was their failure.

2) 

My proof is in the 3ds lol. They have said they are targeting the core first with the 3ds right or wrong? 2 Mario games have been released and many more are also coming. 

3D Mario is still considered a core series. 2D Mario I'll admit caters to a wider demographic (if sales even are any indicator, let alone theme). Also, Nintendo's strategy to the core on the 3DS doesn't not consider 1st party games as the main vessel for the strategy. Games like MH4, KH, and lots of J-games made by 3rd parties are what will fulfil the bi-lateral strategy. It has already begun. Rather, 3DS is proof that the strategy is working.

3)

how are games that the PS3 and 360 already have, going to grab Ps3 and 360 gamers.

This is your only point, and it's a good one, I'll admit, though in part. The only case that works in this point is Batman, all the others AC3, Crysis3 aren't yet released. Then again, having the multiplats is a baseline to the strategy. Of course, in the case of Batman, late is no good, but it's better than never. Plus, it doesn't cost much to 3rd parties to do so, and it improves Nintendo's image at minimal cost. It all still leads me to believe Nintendo is pushing 3rd parties to release the AAA core multi-plats on their systems. AC3 hasn't released yet, your only good point is Batman, but it's probs the only late port I think.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Whether Ubisoft asked Nintendo or not they are seemingly the best publishers to take the task of any gimmick Nintendo comes with and makes it seem like a fluent and fluid experience. Ubisoft blew me away with their demonstration of Zombie U. That is about the only game I am excited for on the Wii u. Ubisoft even managed to make ghost recon demos look pretty good for Kinect even though they were the least intuitive of all of the multiplat versions. No doubt they are up to the task. Metroid prime on the Wii was pretty fun, but again its and experience like COD on the Wii was for me, but it didnt feel like a natural progression, just a fun way to enjoy quick point and shoot kills until I went to play COD or Battlefield. Battlefield is another game that I doubt would make sense on the Wii U unless Nintendo gets headsets. It requires a serious team or else you're screwed.

I agree, Ubisoft really pull it off when it comes to emerging technologies, they're always on board. I remember, ever since the 6th gen I remember Ubi being there with lots of games as of launch. They really are like that, and yeah ZombiU blew my mind too, I really hope people will open their eyes in time, it looks like a great new experience one needs to try out. Here's to hoping peeps will be open this time around.

Prime was fun, man I loved the game, and especially the dog-fights, Samus vs boss, especially Rundas the Ice boss. It was so awesome to run around and point the blaster with the wiimote, it felt really fun. I really think Nintendo had a vision for the core, I just think 3rd parties didn't pick up on it. Reasons being another issue, I do think Nintendo intended the wiimote to be used for more older gamer experiences over the course of its lifetime.

@headsets. I'm not sure, but I think Matcatz was coming out with a headset for the WiiU. Do people usually buy Playstation or Xbox branded headsets on the rival consoles? I know the Wii had a COD headset, but I never owned one. How do HD twin owners go about headsets, are they bundled in SKUs? I own a PS3 but have little interest for a headset myself.

@happydolphin I guess agree with you more than initially thought. You don't seem like one of those people that believe Nintendo has now set there sights on the hardcore and are leaving there casual base behind. In summary what Im trying to say is your right they are looking to appeal to both, by relying on the 3rd parties to bring the hardcore and Nintendo will attract the expanded audience. Realistically though they will fail in that regard. A 360 or Ps3 owner has no reason at all to purchase a WiiU which is why I believe they are targeting Nintendo fans and gathering third party support to keep them away from Microsoft or Sony. You have to admit Nintendo doesn't have a chance in hell at stealing gamers from the HD twins. Maybe a few early adopters that just wanted a newer platform but that's probably it.

phenom08 said:
@happydolphin I guess agree with you more than initially thought. You don't seem like one of those people that believe Nintendo has now set there sights on the hardcore and are leaving there casual base behind. In summary what Im trying to say is your right they are looking to appeal to both, by relying on the 3rd parties to bring the hardcore and Nintendo will attract the expanded audience. Realistically though they will fail in that regard. A 360 or Ps3 owner has no reason at all to purchase a WiiU which is why I believe they are targeting Nintendo fans and gathering third party support to keep them away from Microsoft or Sony. You have to admit Nintendo doesn't have a chance in hell at stealing gamers from the HD twins. Maybe a few early adopters that just wanted a newer platform but that's probably it.

I totally agree with bold, and that's why I created this thread "HD Twin fans: What would make you buy a Nintendo console".

I think S.T.A.G.E. also agrees with me that Nintendo mostly does/would rely on 3rd parties or 2nd parties to get the core audience served with more content geared towards older gamers, since it isn't really in Nintendo's fiber, or maybe I should say desire to make games for older gamers in mind. I mean, they made Endless Ocean, and they made Trace Memory, but I haven't played either games, so I'm only guessing they are capable of it, but it isn't their focus internally imho. They did to TP, which was pretty dark to be totally honest, but these are exceptions rather than the norm. The norm at Ninty internally is to make games for the younger crowd (like NintendoLand, Animal Crossing and NSMB), and I think you also think so.

I also see little hope in Nintendo attracting the older core gamer demographic, as posted here. But in the end, part of me only wants to hope that Nintendo can remember its roots as a company that marketted to the older crowd ("Now you're playing with power"), that made compelling games for skilled gamers (NES 1st party A games), and that is still today able to pull it off when they want to (Trace Memory, Pandora's Tower, Twilight Princess). Also, Rare was in the past a boon for Nintendo in this mission (Perfect Dark, GoldenEye, Conker's BFD) and today Retro is the spiritual successor. Also, in the past Nintendo had friends like Factor5 (Rogue Squadron) and Capcom (Resident Evil 4 exclusive). There is hope, but E3 just really didn't inspire. When I hold on to those ideas, I think it's possible, but then when I see Reggie, Katsuya Eguchi, Takashi Tezuka, Eiji Aonuma and Iwata, I just feel like all my hopes get crushed. Thankfully, Miyamoto said that he and some others at Nintendo are seeking to tap into Nintendo's past, and Iwata gave a sound investors briefing last April, so some things still make me hope. Also WiiU and all the other AAA core games is a sign of Nintendo going uphill in the battle still, so I still have hope. And the project Sora partnership with Namco is a sign of things going in the right direction. But when I saw NintendoLand, as good as that game may be, I nearly lost all hope, literally. As you can see here, I had a meltdown.

I understand what your saying and I totally agree but you guys seem to forget Nintendo now has a responsibility. They said with the Wii they wanted to expand the demographics of videogames. They are looking to do the same with the WiiU except I guess make the games more challenging. They can't make their Mario games brutally challenging anymore though, NSMB is about being accessible and fun for the whole family. I respect that about them, they can still make challenging games it just won't be the franchises we are use to.

Around the Network

It's the curse of Reggie Fils-Aime

Been away for a bit, but sneaking back in.

Gaming on: PS4, PC, 3DS. Got a Switch! Mainly to play Smash

phenom08 said:
I understand what your saying and I totally agree but you guys seem to forget Nintendo now has a responsibility. They said with the Wii they wanted to expand the demographics of videogames. They are looking to do the same with the WiiU except I guess make the games more challenging. They can't make their Mario games brutally challenging anymore though, NSMB is about being accessible and fun for the whole family. I respect that about them, they can still make challenging games it just won't be the franchises we are use to.

Sadly yeah, that would have to be the solution. When back in the day Super Mario Bros. sold 40Million units, with a much higher difficulty level, sadly today family fun means games need to be easy. I was hoping for some in-between, like offering players a difficulty mode, but alas. Actually, I find some segments in Galaxy challenging, same can be said about NSMB, so I'm not complaining about that for Mario. For Mario, my main complaint is the theme, especially for 3D Mario, which is a tad on the kiddy side. Still, SMG sported some amazing visuals and glorious orchestral music, so it has its strengths. However, there are some segments that are not older gamer friendly, and I don't think they really help in their appeal to the younger crowd either. Such segments should be done away with imho, but that's just me.

I don't think the fans are hard to please, specially when they have all the tools to do it, here it is how they could fix their presentation without making big changes...

-Remove the control explanation, it was given on sunday, no need to repeat
-Remove the Sing game from it, reduce time on Wii Fit U
-Shorten the NintendoLand showcase, don't explain a mini-game, instead mention all the franchises that will be included and show that there is has some kind of depth
-Shorten 3DS games on stage (they were having a secondary presentation for that), add a reel with a lot of games that are comming out soon for the console (include the ones for the next day presentation)
-Mention very briefly the Wii, just show a trailer of The Last Story and Kirby's Collection, and announce Fatal Frame 2 (already translated by NoE) for an american release
-Add P100 to the presentation
-Add Wario & Game
-Add a surprise at the end, any kind is good enough, here are some possibilities: mention the new game that Retro is working on, Confirm that Square-Enix is working on something exclusvie for the Wii U, announce a soon to be release third party game with exclusive content for the Wii U, confirm that Monster Hunter 3G is comming to America, or show the new 3DS XL.

Tell me if that would not be a better presentation? would you be satisfied with it?

S.T.A.G.E. said:
Significant_leap said:
The wiimote is not a gimmick...motion controls could be....but the wiimote is a controller...still a good gimmick, and it worked, congratulations to Nintendo for that :)

All motion controls are a gimmick. They are a novelty used to cash in on casuals. This just so happens to be the most profitable generation for gimmicks out of all the gimmicks Nintendo has tried over the years. The glove, Virtual boy and more speak for themselves.

Motion controls are the furthest thing from a gimmick, they're an interface method required for the entire motion control genre; and that includes highly successful games from Wii Sports, to Wii Fit, to Just Dance; these are three massively successful franchises.

Was the D-Pad on NES a gimmick?

Shoulder buttons on the SNES?

Analog stick on the N64?

Touchscreen on the DS?

No, these are all new interface options which advanced the industry.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

happydolphin said:
AndrewWK said:

The problem with Skyword Sword motion controls was, they used it everwhere, for combat for flying for aiming and even for fuckin diving, I mean WTF? they just used it too much. On the other hand it has potential no doubt, but when I play a game I want to relax lay down or sit in my chair while enjoying the story and gameplay. And this works better with holding the controller in your and pressing some buttons instead of moving the remote all the time.

I mean no doubt motion Controls where a great inovation, but for me it is just an additional feature.

Well, the fact that you don't want to get your lazy bumb off the couch doesn't make "HD the biggest improvement of the generation" It's kinda biased a little.

If I wanna work out I usually go to the gym or do some real Sparing.