By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo can never seem to satisfy fans

happydolphin said:
AndrewWK said:

The problem with Skyword Sword motion controls was, they used it everwhere, for combat for flying for aiming and even for fuckin diving, I mean WTF? they just used it too much. On the other hand it has potential no doubt, but when I play a game I want to relax lay down or sit in my chair while enjoying the story and gameplay. And this works better with holding the controller in your and pressing some buttons instead of moving the remote all the time.

I mean no doubt motion Controls where a great inovation, but for me it is just an additional feature.

Well, the fact that you don't want to get your lazy bumb off the couch doesn't make "HD the biggest improvement of the generation" It's kinda biased a little.

If I wanna work out I usually go to the gym or do some real Sparing. And I said that it is an awesome feature.

Around the Network
flagstaad said:
I don't think the fans are hard to please, specially when they have all the tools to do it, here it is how they could fix their presentation without making big changes...

-Remove the control explanation, it was given on sunday, no need to repeat
-Remove the Sing game from it, reduce time on Wii Fit U
-Shorten the NintendoLand showcase, don't explain a mini-game, instead mention all the franchises that will be included and show that there is has some kind of depth
-Shorten 3DS games on stage (they were having a secondary presentation for that), add a reel with a lot of games that are comming out soon for the console (include the ones for the next day presentation)
-Mention very briefly the Wii, just show a trailer of The Last Story and Kirby's Collection, and announce Fatal Frame 2 (already translated by NoE) for an american release
-Add P100 to the presentation
-Add Wario & Game
-Add a surprise at the end, any kind is good enough, here are some possibilities: mention the new game that Retro is working on, Confirm that Square-Enix is working on something exclusvie for the Wii U, announce a some to be release third party game with exclusive content for the Wii U, confirm that Monster Hunter 3G is comming to America, or show the new 3DS XL.

Tell me if that would not be a better presentation? would you be satisfied with it?

Yes, I would. This is a great post, and truly shows where the presentation this year was lacking. It's all about presentation, not substance. Imho Nintendo at least had a semblant of substance, the rest is marketing, but they didn't do it right.

AndrewWK said:

If I wanna work out I usually go to the gym or do some real Sparing.

You consider games like Skyward Sword and Metroid Prime 3 a workout? oO

happydolphin said:
AndrewWK said:

If I wanna work out I usually go to the gym or do some real Sparing.

You consider games like Skyward Sword and Metroid Prime 3 a workout? oO

Come on dude seriously. You know what I meant

AndrewWK said:

Not really, no. You're lazy :P

Yeah, to be honest I know what you mean. You mean that, when you play games, you prefer to just zone out and relax. The problem with that view is that some of the best games are intense and absorbing, like Shadow of the Colossus or Super Metroid. So wanting to just kick back and relax works for certain games, but not for the best ones imho. The best ones require being both physically and mentally active, whether motion controlled or controller controlled

Around the Network
happydolphin said:
AndrewWK said:

Not really, no. You're lazy :P

Yeah, to be honest I know what you mean. You mean that, when you play games, you prefer to just zone out and relax. The problem with that view is that some of the best games are intense and absorbing, like Shadow of the Colossus or Super Metroid. So wanting to just kick back and relax works for certain games, but not for the best ones imho. The best ones require being both physically and mentally active, whether motion controlled or controller controlled

point taken.

God damnit I am losing again.

Of course you are right. I remember when I played Uncharted 2 I was standing the whole time when Lazarevic attacked the Tibetan Village

AndrewWK said:

point taken.

Of course you are right. I remember when I played Uncharted 2 I was standing the whole time when Lazarevic attacked the Tibetan Village

I remember it taking me 4 hours of mental and physical endurance to beat the last boss of Shadow of the Colossus. 4 hours STRAIGHT!!!

Good to know I'm not the only one. :)

happydolphin said:
AndrewWK said:

point taken.

I remember it taking me 4 hours of mental and physical endurance to beat the last boss of Shadow of the Colossus. 4 hours STRAIGHT!!!

Good to know I'm not the only one. :)

I played the shadow of collosos for a few minutes, rented it, but I did not like it at all.

Jumpin said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Significant_leap said:
The wiimote is not a gimmick...motion controls could be....but the wiimote is a controller...still a good gimmick, and it worked, congratulations to Nintendo for that :)

All motion controls are a gimmick. They are a novelty used to cash in on casuals. This just so happens to be the most profitable generation for gimmicks out of all the gimmicks Nintendo has tried over the years. The glove, Virtual boy and more speak for themselves.

Motion controls are the furthest thing from a gimmick, they're an interface method required for the entire motion control genre; and that includes highly successful games from Wii Sports, to Wii Fit, to Just Dance; these are three massively successful franchises.

Was the D-Pad on NES a gimmick?

Shoulder buttons on the SNES?

Analog stick on the N64?

Touchscreen on the DS?

No, these are all new interface options which advanced the industry.

Sad. Your examples were things that aren't gimmicks. If you're using newer elements to further the a conventional object (or the accepted norm) its not a gimmick but an evolution of camera/action control and ergonomic design. Gimmicks are slick and novel ideas made to gain casual attention. Those examples you gave as a column changed the way gaming will be played for a while and have become the accepted norm where they are. Motion controls have still met backlash from the traditionalists and have either been thrown away by the casuals after they got burned out from using it. All my friends who still have the Wii no longer use the motion controls for it but rather the Gamecube for the retro controllers now. Go figure, eh?

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Sad. Your examples were things that aren't gimmicks. If you're using newer elements to further the a conventional object (or the accepted norm) its not a gimmick but an evolution of camera/action control and ergonomic design. Gimmicks are slick and novel ideas made to gain casual attention. Those examples you gave as a column changed the way gaming will be played for a while and have become the accepted norm where they are. Motion controls have still met backlash from the traditionalists and have either been thrown away by the casuals after they got burned out from using it. All my friends who still have the Wii no longer use the motion controls for it but rather the Gamecube for the retro controllers now. Go figure, eh?

Funny, I swear I wouldn't touch Metroid Prime until I got my hands on the trilogy once I had a taste of MP3. That's just me tho, so much for anecdotal evidence? Remember, the people around you are probably heavily influenced by the very things people like Jumpin, arch and some others as well as me have been exposing: gamer snobbery.

I'll agree that motion controls are not matured as a technology (still need to be refined and evolve), but to downright reject them is a whole different attitude.

The N64 digital 360deg controller stick was "a slick and novel idea made to gain casual attention", as well as core attention. It was made to expand gaming. Now you could do things like spin bowser around by the tail and play mini games in Mario Party. Now do you see how the application and marketing directed towards casuals is highly unrelated to the technology, intrinsically?

But that's not the worst part. The worst part is that Nintendo gamers have 1) had to build this argument (already a problem in its own right), but that 2) It took them downright 7 years to clear it up and expose it as it is. Lies are hard to debunk and chase at times, believe it or not. It's not just about saying words, they have a span, words have a span. And sadly, the Wii's gimmick name came from Sony's filthy PR sewer. I'm glad those days are over, but despite Sony even releasing its own flavor of motion controls, the fans still continue to promote the lies.

Look, it would be one thing to tell me "Motion controls are not yet mature to be taken seriously 100%". That's a fair claim. But to say they're only good for the garbage bin... that's over the top imho.