By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sales: Why did TP soar and SS flop?

Tagged games:

Fusioncode said:
Probably because it was a mediocre Zelda game. Or maybe even the Nintendo fanbase is getting tired of playing OoT for the 5oth time. Hopefully Nintendo changes up the Zelda formula with the next installment.

You sure have played it...

Nobody thinked that the problem is the mandatory WiiMotionPlus, that not all of the Wii owners have, only one third of 'em according to sales on this site.

Spiders den are not for men.

My gaming channel: Stefano and the Spiders.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiSpider87?feature=mhum

Around the Network

arkanie:
Nobody thinked that the problem is the mandatory WiiMotionPlus, that not all of the Wii owners have, only one third of 'em according to sales on this site.

3.5mill in 6 months says it's not a problem... YET. But, i definately could be.

sorry, IT def. could be.

Jumpin said:

Twilight sold well because it was one of the only games available for Wii at launch. Skyward Sword didn't sell as well, because people were reluctant to buy it after playing Twilight Princess.

Twilight Princess was perhaps the most disappointing game ever released by Nintendo; a few people liked it, but I think the vast majority were not as impressed with it as any of the past Zelda games when they were released. It had a lot of content, but unlike other Zelda games, it wasn't any fun to play.

But I think calling Skyward Sword a flop is incorrect, the sales are in the millions, and it appears to be average selling, not a flop.

Guys It is only me but TP had a really high score? and always praise to eb one of teh Best Wii game?

TP was ranked higher that SS right?

Why now all this hate?

Switch!!!

mike_intellivision said:
I love how for Nintendo that 3M sales is a FLOP.

Also, this is a pure case of lies, damned lies, and statistics.

If you look at the first 10 weeks after launch -- it is TP has 2.19M (2.23M adjusted for later two week later European launch) while SS has 3.03M (3.04M adjusted for one week later North American launch).

Yes, the first 10 weeks Skyward Sword "OUTSOLD" Twilight Princess by 38 percent not adjusted for launch differences (36 percent adjusted).

In other words, Skyward Sword did perform better. What is missing for it is all the ensuing years of sales. It probably will never achieve them because when it was launched in the console's life cycle. But to try to say that Skyward Sword did not sell is just not true.

Mike from Morgantown

This is all 100% true and it's funny that so many people ignored what you said to try to prove that TP is a better game.

The truth is that while neither game is perfect, I prefer SS.  Why?  It takes chances and suceeds more often than not IMO.  Get rid of the crappy hub world and it's much more entertaining.  TP, on the other hand, is just line OoT except longer, more boring, and with a wolf. 

I feel as though VGChartz is becoming a place where everyone posts and thinks the same and it's starting to scare me.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
DieAppleDie said:
i dont trust anyones op, i always try it myself before making any statement, i just pointed out that the game had mostly great reviews from every media.

There are too many factors to just say, disappointing sales=bad game, thats just ridiculous.
I actually believe it performed well taking in count the bad economy, strugglin vg market, Wiis death, no marketing, obligatory m+, sd graphics, .....etc.
too much things that have nothing to do with the quality of the game itself.

I respect that. But I'm not so sure I agree with the other factors inhibiting SS's performance other than its inability to entice enough consumers, or excite the base.

However, shelf life will be considerably shorter than TP's and that most certainly will favor TP's overall performance, but its not like SS has ever lit up any sales charts anyway. You belive its for reasons you've mentioned with are good ones btw, but I'm more of the belief of had the game been better overall that its performance would have reflected that.

I've seen SS receive more mixed reviews than any other Zelda game prior. And in my opinion, the controls weren't the problem, the lack of enough compelling content was. WSR required M+ and that things sold 30m (yes bundled, yada yada etc.)

additionally, I am not saying sales equals quality, its more complex than that, and not every game will sell like NSMB or WS, but a successful games are supposed to spark excitement and provide momentum and SS did neither. I wouldn't call the game a flop, in terms of sales, but definitely for a game with as much dev time as this should have been a crowning acheivement and much more fulfilling than it was. Imho of course.

Bet between Slimbeast and Arius Dion about Wii sales 2009:

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

amp316 said:
mike_intellivision said:

If you look at the first 10 weeks after launch -- it is TP has 2.19M (2.23M adjusted for later two week later European launch) while SS has 3.03M (3.04M adjusted for one week later North American launch).

Yes, the first 10 weeks Skyward Sword "OUTSOLD" Twilight Princess by 38 percent not adjusted for launch differences (36 percent adjusted).

In other words, Skyward Sword did perform better. What is missing for it is all the ensuing years of sales. It probably will never achieve them because when it was launched in the console's life cycle. But to try to say that Skyward Sword did not sell is just not true.

Mike from Morgantown

This is all 100% true and it's funny that so many people ignored what you said to try to prove that TP is a better game.

The truth is that while neither game is perfect, I prefer SS.  Why?  It takes chances and suceeds more often than not IMO.  Get rid of the crappy hub world and it's much more entertaining.  TP, on the other hand, is just line OoT except longer, more boring, and with a wolf. 

I feel as though VGChartz is becoming a place where everyone posts and thinks the same and it's starting to scare me.

Agreed, I'm pretty impartial to both games, in fact I know its not the most popular thing to say but I thought WW was the worst of the last 3 Zelda outings, and MM wasn't even a game I felt compelled to play until the collectors disc I got when I bought WW.

After OoT Zelda takes a very different tone, and I'm not one to hold sacred cows. There were moments enjoyable in WW, TP and SS but the extra stuff you are obligated to go through in order to get to those moments becomes increasingly boring or nonsensical. Tad tones? really? Wolf? Sailing? Trains!?

As to your last sentence...yes, that is unfortunate.

If the Wii sells less than 20 million in 2009 (as defined by VGC sales between week ending 3d Jan 2009 to week ending 4th Jan 2010) Slimebeast wins and get to control Arius Dion's sig for 1 month.

If the Wii sells more than 20 million in 2009 (as defined above) Arius Dion wins and gets to control Slimebeast's sig for 1 month.

Skyward Sword was the best Zelda game since Majora's Mask; but it wasn't as good as Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time. The Ocarina of Time remake was really good though.

Twilight Princess was really boring, it was essentially the game tha destroyed the franchise's reputation.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

I thought WW did that? ^ ; )

Is Khuttra still around?

mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

What a fantastic post.  It is too bad that so many, including myself, missed it.  At least I said I didn't read the thread in my post.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)