By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sales: Why did TP soar and SS flop?

Tagged games:

Isn't it too early to tell how long SS's legs will be?

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

I just never wanna see gay robots in a zelda game again.

Arius Dion said:
I thought WW did that? ^ ; )

Is Khuttra still around?

Maybe it started the crumble with WW, but the collapse didn't happen with that game. I do think the hype behind Twilight Princess was still incredibly strong; but after Twilight Princess, it was obvious that no Zelda game would ever be hyped again to the levels it had enjoyed in the previous decade. Although I do think that it can improve, and I think Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time 3D brought some interest back to the series - but before those games, it was nearly nothing.

I think it will take at least two Mario Galaxy caliber games to regain the reputation it once enjoyed.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

LOL! Twilight Princess was GREAT. In no way in in "damage" zelda's rep. It's the only game on Wii I've played. Yeah I bought a second hand Wii just for TP. I can't speak of SS as I haven't had time to buy/play it yet.

wow, so much lightweight drama about 2 games that in the end are both really good all started over a topic based on false pretenses. at the very least i can say zelda fans are passionate.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
Arius Dion said:
^very interesting numbers.

those are interesting numbers, but what about your Uncharteds, CODs, GOWs, MEs etc of the world. Not all series suffer a decline during a console gen, sometimes its the opposite.

These games are not into their maturity phase yet, they are still growing that's why.

atma998 said:
oniyide said:
Arius Dion said:
^very interesting numbers.

those are interesting numbers, but what about your Uncharteds, CODs, GOWs, MEs etc of the world. Not all series suffer a decline during a console gen, sometimes its the opposite.

These games are not into their maturity phase yet, they are still growing that's why.

I dont really buy that. When Zelda started it was the same situation. Zelda 2 sold less than 1. There was only one Zelda game on SNES and MM sold less than OOT. 

SS is by far my favorite game, so it has nothing to do with the quality of the game. Atleast in SS I can finaly stop blindly spaming ''A!A!A!A!'' to kill monsters or when it come to TP ''Waggle!waggle!waggle!''. Don't get me wrong, I loved TP, I loved every Zelda games, but IMO SS is the best.

ppl abandoned the wii for realistic ''cool'' HD games. ppl are super excited about that wii u demo cause its realistic. I think it is extremely immature to judge a game by its artstyle. Some ppl feel like they are cool badass grownman when they play realistic and dark games with blood. So TP sold alot cause it is ''dark''.

Also you need M+ to play SS, i know it turned off atleast one of my friend.

TP has been a Nintendo select for atleast 2years now. Meaning you can buy it for only 19$. That game sold alot since, TP didnt sell as fast as SS but it had crazy legs, it is still selling right now as we speak. I'm sure SS will sell for a while, but it won't have as much legs cause the wii era is over.

When WW came out ppl hated it. ppl were whinning about the artsyle and how much it wasnt as good as OoT. Few years later, after TP came out, it suddenly became 1 of the best zelda games (deserved). In 2 to 4 years when Zelda Wii U will come out, the nostalgia for SS will kick in and it will be remembered as one of the best Zelda games.

Finaly, when SS came out, it faced competition from CoD *spit on the ground*, Batman:AC, Skyrim, UC3, GoW3 and more, despite that it still managed to sell faster than TP. I dont remember what TP had for competition at the time but atleast at the time ppl were willing to play games other than freaking shooters like CoD.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Metrium said:
SS is by far my favorite game, so it has nothing to do with the quality of the game. Atleast in SS I can finaly stop blindly spaming ''A!A!A!A!'' to kill monsters or when it come to TP ''Waggle!waggle!waggle!''. Don't get me wrong, I loved TP, I loved every Zelda games, but IMO SS is the best.

ppl abandoned the wii for realistic ''cool'' HD games. ppl are super excited about that wii u demo cause its realistic. I think it is extremely immature to judge a game by its artstyle. Some ppl feel like they are cool badass grownman when they play realistic and dark games with blood. So TP sold alot cause it is ''dark''.

Also you need M+ to play SS, i know it turned off atleast one of my friend.

TP has been a Nintendo select for atleast 2years now. Meaning you can buy it for only 19$. That game sold alot since, TP didnt sell as fast as SS but it had crazy legs, it is still selling right now as we speak. I'm sure SS will sell for a while, but it won't have as much legs cause the wii era is over.

When WW came out ppl hated it. ppl were whinning about the artsyle and how much it wasnt as good as OoT. Few years later, after TP came out, it suddenly became 1 of the best zelda games (deserved). In 2 to 4 years when Zelda Wii U will come out, the nostalgia for SS will kick in and it will be remembered as one of the best Zelda games.

Finaly, when SS came out, it faced competition from CoD *spit on the ground*, Batman:AC, Skyrim, UC3, GoW3 and more, despite that it still managed to sell faster than TP. I dont remember what TP had for competition at the time but atleast at the time ppl were willing to play games other than freaking shooters like CoD.

all those games you mentioned werent even on the WIi sans CODMW3 so what was it really competing with and judging by sales for CODWII it seems people did pick zelda

I'm just surprised this game didn't do better in Japan.