By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sales: Why did TP soar and SS flop?

Tagged games:

I think after WW and TP, many of the hardcore fans weren't willing to give SS a try. I also think maybe people have just lost interest in the Wii in general.

Around the Network

i dont trust anyones op, i always try it myself before making any statement, i just pointed out that the game had mostly great reviews from every media.

There are too many factors to just say, disappointing sales=bad game, thats just ridiculous.
I actually believe it performed well taking in count the bad economy, strugglin vg market, Wiis death, no marketing, obligatory m+, sd graphics, .....etc.
too much things that have nothing to do with the quality of the game itself.

Arius Dion said:
I'm not stating my opinion as fact. Just refuting your attempt to use critics opinion as any more valid than mine. The quality of a product can be traced to its markets performance.

Oh dear. Well that's just a statement too far. Under that logic Imagine: Babyz is a better game than Bayonetta. Carnival games is better than metroid prime and so forth. 

Turkish says and I'm allowed to quote that: Uncharted 3 and God Of War 3 look better than Unreal Engine 4 games will or the tech demo does. Also the Naughty Dog PS3 ENGINE PLAYS better than the UE4 ENGINE.

I will repeat from my earlier post ... if you look at sales in the first 10 weeks, either from first release or adjusted (for different release points around the world), SS > TP.

The OP is flawed!

As for people's opinion's on these games, that is their opinion.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

TheFallen said:
On another note; Nintendo SHOULD have bundeled WM+ with SS at no extra cost. I certainly would have have bought already if that was the case, and i'm sure the WM+ has caused confusion amongst casuals who Nintendo would want to pick it up. Please Nintendo FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, Don't take 5 years between games!

they werent going to buy the game anyway

Around the Network

Hasnt SS reached 3.5m yet?

I will read the thread later, so I don't know if this was mentioned already or not.

The second Zelda game on a console (home or handheld, it doesn't matter) always sells significantly worse than the first game. It was really no surprise it happened again.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

TP laready had player choices and SS need wii motion plus.

holy crap. Ok, hope i'm not coming off as overly negative here, but, as stated previously, this topic seems pretty flawed. Your comparing LTD sales of a game that's been out for about 6 years is it? to a game that's been out for 6 months. The latter i mind you, according to vgchartz data, sold over 1mill units in 1 week! So far from the data i can see SS is outselling TP. Where it goes from here is yet to be seen. Also, you may want to consider that this was released pretty late in the wii lifecycle. How does that consideration differ from what others have already said? well, unless i mistaken, no one has mention that not only was tp also released late in the gamecube cycle, comparing THAT particular titles sales performance to SS would show that SS has already outsold TP. However that is not a completely fair comparison as SS did not have to compete with a WII-U version. (at least not yet). So you see, your topic is in somewhat of a contradiction to itself.

oh, i'm sorry i forgot to add that it's been my experience (and i thought even common knowledge) that launch titles tend to have a huge sales advantage to their successors. So that would be a good reason for TP to outsell SS. but as i stated earliers i don't think TP is selling SS.