By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sales: Why did TP soar and SS flop?

Tagged games:

oniyide said:
Metrium said:
SS is by far my favorite game, so it has nothing to do with the quality of the game. Atleast in SS I can finaly stop blindly spaming ''A!A!A!A!'' to kill monsters or when it come to TP ''Waggle!waggle!waggle!''. Don't get me wrong, I loved TP, I loved every Zelda games, but IMO SS is the best.

ppl abandoned the wii for realistic ''cool'' HD games. ppl are super excited about that wii u demo cause its realistic. I think it is extremely immature to judge a game by its artstyle. Some ppl feel like they are cool badass grownman when they play realistic and dark games with blood. So TP sold alot cause it is ''dark''.

Also you need M+ to play SS, i know it turned off atleast one of my friend.

TP has been a Nintendo select for atleast 2years now. Meaning you can buy it for only 19$. That game sold alot since, TP didnt sell as fast as SS but it had crazy legs, it is still selling right now as we speak. I'm sure SS will sell for a while, but it won't have as much legs cause the wii era is over.

When WW came out ppl hated it. ppl were whinning about the artsyle and how much it wasnt as good as OoT. Few years later, after TP came out, it suddenly became 1 of the best zelda games (deserved). In 2 to 4 years when Zelda Wii U will come out, the nostalgia for SS will kick in and it will be remembered as one of the best Zelda games.

Finaly, when SS came out, it faced competition from CoD *spit on the ground*, Batman:AC, Skyrim, UC3, GoW3 and more, despite that it still managed to sell faster than TP. I dont remember what TP had for competition at the time but atleast at the time ppl were willing to play games other than freaking shooters like CoD.

all those games you mentioned werent even on the WIi sans CODMW3 so what was it really competing with and judging by sales for CODWII it seems people did pick zelda

Gamers left the wii for xbox360 or ps3. SS had to convince them to dust off their wiis for the first time since probably Galaxy2 or DKCR, not an easy task when these gamers have been playing their ps3/xbox 360 for months and now have access to all these games I mentionned.

Also 2games doesnt need to be on the same console to be competition. I'm sure Nintendo wouldnt of liked to launch a Zelda or Metroid game on the same day as the Diablo 3 launch for example.

What?! I can't hear you over all this awsome! - Pyrrhon (Kid Icarus:Uprising)

Final Ultimate Legendary Earth Power Super Max Justice Future Miracle Dream Beautiful Galaxy Big Bang Little Bang Sunrise Starlight Infinite Fabulous Totally Final Wonderful Arrow...FIRE! - Wonder-Red (The Wonderful101)

Around the Network

Twilight Princess was a launch title for the Wii, not many 'good' titles were released around that time, so it was either TP, Red Steel, Super Monkeyball or PS2 ports with modified controls, if gamers wanted something other the Wii Sports for a long time.

oniyide said:
atma998 said:
oniyide said:
Arius Dion said:
^very interesting numbers.

those are interesting numbers, but what about your Uncharteds, CODs, GOWs, MEs etc of the world. Not all series suffer a decline during a console gen, sometimes its the opposite.

These games are not into their maturity phase yet, they are still growing that's why.

I dont really buy that. When Zelda started it was the same situation. Zelda 2 sold less than 1. There was only one Zelda game on SNES and MM sold less than OOT. 

That's also why I said there were some exceptions here and there...

Also, Majora's Mask selling less than Ocarina of Time make perfect sense with the rule if we consider that the Zelda franchise went into its maturity stage after OOT.

atma998 said:
oniyide said:
atma998 said:
oniyide said:
Arius Dion said:

those are interesting numbers, but what about your Uncharteds, CODs, GOWs, MEs etc of the world. Not all series suffer a decline during a console gen, sometimes its the opposite.

These games are not into their maturity phase yet, they are still growing that's why.

I dont really buy that. When Zelda started it was the same situation. Zelda 2 sold less than 1. There was only one Zelda game on SNES and MM sold less than OOT. 

Also, Majora's Mask selling less than Ocarina of Time make perfect sense with the rule if we consider that the Zelda franchise went into its maturity stage after OOT.

your statement was that the Uncharteds and etc. didnt count because they were still in infancy. I showed you that even when Zelda was in infancy the sequel still didnt outsell the original. SO how is that an exception to that series??

Another reason I haven't seen posted yet, piracy. Hacking the Wii is the easiest thing ever now, while when TP was first released it wasn't even possible. I bought TP original while I torrented SS, and thank God I did, 'cause I hated the fact that you couldn't really relax and play it with all this motion controlling.

Around the Network
oniyide said:
atma998 said:
oniyide said:
atma998 said:
oniyide said:
Arius Dion said:

your statement was that the Uncharteds and etc. didnt count because they were still in infancy. I showed you that even when Zelda was in infancy the sequel still didnt outsell the original. SO how is that an exception to that series??

Not an exception to the series but an exception to the rule.

.:Dark Prince:. said:
Another reason I haven't seen posted yet, piracy. Hacking the Wii is the easiest thing ever now, while when TP was first released it wasn't even possible. I bought TP original while I torrented SS, and thank God I did, 'cause I hated the fact that you couldn't really relax and play it with all this motion controlling.

That could be a big factor too.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.