By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS2 is doomed (2000)

ameratsu said:

PS2 had a large and varied library PS3 will not

You know this how? We are over 1 year mark for the ps3 and already you are saying it will not have a large and varied library? You can't even try to establish that at this point. Perhaps in a few more years when more games are out and it is clearer which system(s) will have lots of titles and the best game variety. 

yea i agree... thats alot of opinion in that 1st statement....

THe oNLY TRue STuPiDiTY iS THe aCCePTaNCe oF iGNoRaNCe 

PSNTAG K_I_N_G__COKE

The King Of The Iron Fist tournament

Around the Network
Bonafide732 said:
ameratsu said:

You know this how? We are over 1 year mark for the ps3 and already you are saying it will not have a large and varied library? You can't even try to establish that at this point. Perhaps in a few more years when more games are out and it is clearer which system(s) will have lots of titles and the best game variety. 

I also agree with that. Sony has alway pushed a lot of variety on thier consoles 

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

i remember posting something like this months ago

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

viewsonic9 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
viewsonic9 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
gamingdevil said:
Actually his baseless PS2 bashing reminds me of the gazillion articles bashing the Wii...

Deja vu?

Exactly, they SDF'ers think it applies to the PS3, but they are off base the Wii is where history will repeat

I think you will find it actually applies a hell of a lot more to the PS3. You could pretty much just replace every PS2 in the article with PS3 and it would read like any of the pieces written about the PS3 over the last year.

Lets look at some of the main points and see if they apply more to the PS3 or Wii shall we?

The most powerful console but with no games.

Using its ability to play movies on a new media as a selling point.

More difficult to develop for than its rivals.

Costing twice as much as its rival because of features that gamers dont want.

Nintendo & Microsoft being pointed out as its main rivals.

Mmm. Now I might have missed something but I cant see much there that sounds more like the Wii than the PS3 can you?

PS2 wasn't the most powerful console when all three were out, it also was the first out, not in the middle, it was never behind the GCN or the Xbox, it was never twice as much as the GCN or Xbox, sorry but your comparison between the PS2 and PS3 is hopelessly flawed

Edit:  Sorry meant PS2 not PS3 

I think you should read the article again. He clearly says in it that the PS2 is the most powerful console. We are talking about this article and how it could easily apply to the PS3. Whether the PS2 was the most powerful has nothing to do with it.

So the fact that he was wrong is supposed to make me change my points, just proves that power means nothing

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

CrazzyMan said:
Who cares if its from nintendo or not, do you think the average consumer cares?
PUBLISHER? =)
Unless, they are going to release hundreds of cheap games, you won`t see good games on wii. Then why to bother?

Is that achievement, if wii will make over 200 mln. sales of casuals, which won`t care about NORMAL games, not Wii FIT? =))

Just wait and see, when the release of these big games o nthe PS3 don't push PS3 into first place then you'll see I was right, not only Will Wii still lead, but after temporary spike its lead will continue to grow

1 game won`t make big SPIKES inPS3 sales, BUT all 10-20 GAMES WILL.

x360 2006/2007 - PS3 2007/2008
02nd December 320,831 - 01st December 360,831
09th December 442,824 - 08th December 415,663
16th December 496,835 - 15th December 512,049
23rd December 566,638 - 22nd December 599,883
30th December 202,107 - 29th December 390,321
06th January 144,033 - 05th January 268,895

do you see increase? x360 had gears of war, PS3 only Uncharted, Ratchet, HS, Lair + other multiplatform games. With NO HYPED system seller in LAST 6 weeks PS3 outsold x360 by 60%.

Most people didn't care about gaming, why do you think Nintendo is trying to do with the Wii, what did Reggie say in E3 2006? Do you know people who never read books or watch TV or go to the movies? How about video games?
the PS2 userbase is different, with different tastes.
Most games never appeal to the full userbase of any console, even packins
BECAUSE PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES.

The number of people who will buy a PS3 for any (or all) of these games, that have not currently bought a PS3 (or will not buy one in the near future) is small.

HappySqurriel, so how MANY people jumped from PS2 to PS3 already? How many peopel still on PS2? (hint: look at NFS and GH3 sales)

Wrong, the PS2 appealed to 100 million +, PS3 will not
Wrong, PS3 will do.
PS2 had a large and varied library PS3 will not
YES IT WILL!
PS3 is not the PS2
FOR NOW!

Nice try crazzy man, but there will be good games even not from Nintendo, and the consumers don't care where they buy their games from as long as they are fun.

Also all ten won't cause a continued uplift, it'll be like a one two week spike, then a drop, theen another one two week spike then a drop, basically the result will be Wii will still pull further ahead, just by a slower pace for a few weeks 

Exactly people have different tastes which is why those hardcore games won't save the PS3, only causal games will, and Wii has the causal games 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Around the Network
BornFirst. said:
Bonafide732 said:
ameratsu said:

I also agree with that. Sony has alway pushed a lot of variety on thier consoles 

Not really go check the release lists for example their library currently consists mostly of mutliplats with the 360, and limited offerings in terms of things like mini-games/party games/puzzlers etc.  That's nothing like what the PS2 had.  At the moment PS3 is a very hardcore oriented machine, and the way things are going it will likely stay that way for the most part

CrazzyMan said:
those 15% are the same guys who buy things like MGS, FF, DMC, etc. so basically you've got maybe 20% of the PS2's fanbase buying a PS3, if you consider some overlap, and that is at most.

I wonder, how will you PROVE that? =)))))

Wasn't one game, that is what you are making the mistke, it isn't one game that sells a system, largest library wins, always, its the tons of shovelware and casual games that win

So, all those over 40 games won`t be released on PS3, or WHAT is your POINT? They will be released on Wii? =))
I see already Star ocean on wii, also Tekken on wii, also Kingdom hearts on wii. =)))

OK. How many of these games:
Virtua Fighter - Better version on 360
Soul calibur - also on 360
Wild arms - not announced
Front Mission - not announced
Z.O.E - not announced
Resident Evil - also on 360
Silent Hill - also on 360
Dino Crysis - not announced(?)
Devil May cry - also on 360
Kingdom Hearts - Not announced
Medal Of Honor - also on 360 and Wii
Ridge Racer - dunno
Tales of ... - No tales games on PS3, ToS2 on Wii
Disgaea - tiny following
Valkyrie profile - not announced
Persona - not announced
Grand Theft Auto - on 360 too
Burnout - on 360 too
Crash Bandicoot - actually that's funny cause PS3 is the only console which didn't get it
Onimusha - not announced
Ace Combat - 360 only
Ratchet and Clank - Released and sold like shit
Xenosaga - Not announced
Guitar Hero - also on 360 AND Wii
Metal slug - Also on Wii
Armored Core - also on 360
Star ocean - no platform announced
Spyro - Same as Crash
Breath of fire - Not announced
Chrono ... - Not announced
Grandia - not announced

will be released on wii?
won`t be released on PS3?
also you have facts, that only 20 mln. of gamers care about THESE games and 100 mln. DON`T care? =) Can you prove that? =)

Fix'd the list, so 85% of the games are not announced, what makes you think they will be for PS3 while it sells like crap? PS3 support will only get worse as the gap between PS3 and Wii grows.

windbane said:

Mario Party 8 sold so well because it's the first of the series on the Wii.

All of those games you mention sell consoles, and the ones this year will sell more. 

Mario Party 8 has sold 1.5 Million more than any Mario Party and is on track to being (at least) a 6 to 8 Million selling game; being that every Mario Party game has sold in the 2 Million range, this implies that there are Millions of people who have never owned a Mario Party game that have purchased Mario Party 8. Being that this is not an isolated case, and games like Super Paper Mario are also the best selling game in their series with current sales ensuring a wide gap between pervious versions, don't you think it is likely that people who never owned a Gamecube or N64 are buying this game because it is high profile?

At the same time, games like Virtua Fighter and Everybody's Golf have sold dramatically worse on the PS3 than they have in the past; don't you think it is likely that a lot of people who would have bought these games for the PS2 simply don't own a PS3?

Is this that hard of a concept to understand? Am I the only person who has dozens of games in my library in series that I have no particular attachment to? Am I the only person who has a strict limit on what I'm willing to spend to play the handful of series I am attached to?

HappySqurriel said:

Mario Party 8 has sold 1.5 Million more than any Mario Party and is on track to being (at least) a 6 to 8 Million selling game; being that every Mario Party game has sold in the 2 Million range, this implies that there are Millions of people who have never owned a Mario Party game that have purchased Mario Party 8. Being that this is not an isolated case, and games like Super Paper Mario are also the best selling game in their series with current sales ensuring a wide gap between pervious versions, don't you think it is likely that people who never owned a Gamecube or N64 are buying this game because it is high profile?

At the same time, games like Virtua Fighter and Everybody's Golf have sold dramatically worse on the PS3 than they have in the past; don't you think it is likely that a lot of people who would have bought these games for the PS2 simply don't own a PS3?

Is this that hard of a concept to understand? Am I the only person who has dozens of games in my library in series that I have no particular attachment to? Am I the only person who has a strict limit on what I'm willing to spend to play the handful of series I am attached to?

you make an interesting point and i agree with you

i also am owning for the first time a paper mario game

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

___O_o______ said:

This article reminds me of something people have been saying over and over the past year...

Don't buy that PlayStation
It's overpriced and has no online access, and hardly any good games are available to play on it.

- - - - - - - - - - - -
By Jim Lynch

Oct. 27, 2000 | Whether or not Sony was sincere in its claim that a supply crisis led it to cut its initial shipments of the PlayStation2 to just 500,000 units, there's little question that the corporation was successful in the arena of hype marketing. Lines of obsessed PlayStation fans were a news staple Wednesday. But is the so-called superconsole really worth staying up all night for?

No. The PS2 is not the revolutionary device that Sony's marketing department would have you believe. Don't get me wrong; it's definitely the most powerful video-game machine on the planet right now. But that's not enough.

The PS2's stats are certainly impressive; it's got hardware power to burn. But so what? There's just not much software available that can take advantage of it. The games that are being released at the same time as the system don't rise much, if at all, above games available for Sega's rival (and cheaper) Dreamcast video-game system.

And don't expect a huge number of quality games anytime soon. Sony has reversed positions with Sega and stupidly released a system that is in many ways a game developer's nightmare. Sega, learning from its Saturn debacle, went out of its way to make the Dreamcast easy to develop games for. But Sony, intoxicated with success from the first PlayStation, forgot the first rule of the video-game industry: Software sells systems. If you make it hard for developers to produce good games then there's no reason for people to buy the system. This oversight has already cost Sony some goodwill -- developers are howling about how hard it is to create games for the system. In an interview with Time magazine, John Carmack, one of the developers behind such massively popular games as Doom and Quake, said that the "PS2 is definitely more powerful than Dreamcast. But it's less convenient to extract performance from it."

Sony is also under the mistaken impression that including the ability to play DVD movies is a huge selling point. But true technophiles and hardcore gamers probably already have DVD drives. I'm a good case in point. I already own a Sony DVD player, so I could not care less if the $299 PS2 can play movies. I'd rather pay less and get a machine that just plays games instead.

In comparison, the Sega Dreamcast sells for $149 and has a giant library of games already available. Sega also has an online game network, Seganet. The Dreamcast comes with a built-in 56K modem and Sega will soon release a broadband (cable/DSL) adapter for it. (The PS2 does not ship with a modem.) Sega is banking on the appeal of multiplayer online gaming, even going so far as to rebate the entire cost of a Dreamcast to players who sign up for Seganet. And for the first time ever we actually have cross-platform online gaming -- Seganet lets Dreamcast players compete against PC players in games like Quake 3. Sony, on the other hand, is promising online gaming later on but currently has nothing to offer purchasers of the PS2.

In addition to Sega, Sony also has two 800-pound gaming gorillas breathing down its neck: Nintendo and Microsoft. Nintendo plans to release its powerful GameCube system next year. Don't downplay Nintendo's chances either. Despite having a rocky time with the N64, Nintendo has some of the most lucrative franchises in video-game history on its side (Zelda, Super Mario Brothers, Metroid, etc.) and a superb marketing machine.

The real wild card here, though, is Microsoft, which plans to release its X-Box game system next year. The X-Box will have even more powerful hardware than the PS2, and Microsoft has the marketing muscle and rapport with developers to do the PS2 real damage. Unlike Sony, Microsoft is taking great pains to make sure the X-Box is easy to make games for -- developers will also be able to easily port games from the PC to the X-Box, thus insuring a huge supply of games.

So should you feel bad if you can't get a PS2 right away? No way. If you wait a while you'll avoid all the lines and scuffling in stores and you'll end up with a much better selection of games. And if you wait long enough for the upcoming systems from Microsoft and Nintendo, you'll probably see a cut in the price of the PS2 as Sony tries to ward off both threats.

Hardcore gamers aren't known for their patience, but this is one occasion when playing it smart may mean not playing at all. For now.

Lol ... that part made me laugh so hard ... I hope this guy actually lost its job afther 02 ...

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!