By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS2 is doomed (2000)

hunter_alien said:

In addition to Sega, Sony also has two 800-pound gaming gorillas breathing down its neck: Nintendo and Microsoft. Nintendo plans to release its powerful GameCube system next year. Don't downplay Nintendo's chances either. Despite having a rocky time with the N64, Nintendo has some of the most lucrative franchises in video-game history on its side (Zelda, Super Mario Brothers, Metroid, etc.) and a superb marketing machine.

Lol ... that part made me laugh so hard ... I hope this guy actually lost its job afther 02 ...

Same here. It sounds so much like someone defending the PS3 that I have a hard time realising it's almost eight years old. =P

Around the Network

He is the baseless fanboy and will defend his ship, even if it's sinking.
YOU must be LoL? =)) PS3 is sinking? IN YOUR DREAMS. =))

@FishyJoe:
i am stating only FACTS, and my OPINION can CHANGE ONLY FACTS and NOT OTHER OPINION.
PS2 had a large and varied library PS3 will not

You know this how? We are over 1 year mark for the ps3 and already you are saying it will not have a large and varied library? You can't even try to establish that at this point. Perhaps in a few more years when more games are out and it is clearer which system(s) will have lots of titles and the best game variety.
Don`t worry, HE is just BLIND nintendo fanboy.
Nice try crazzy man, but there will be good games even not from Nintendo, and the consumers don't care where they buy their games from as long as they are fun.
And they will FLOP, like No more heroes did or zack and wicki.
Also all ten won't cause a continued uplift, it'll be like a one two week spike, then a drop, theen another one two week spike then a drop, basically the result will be Wii will still pull further ahead, just by a slower pace for a few weeks
Yes they will, so and Uncharted, Ratchet, UT3, GT5P, HS, Warhawk DID This December. They Helped PS3 to OUTSELL x360.
Exactly people have different tastes which is why those hardcore games won't save the PS3, only causal games will, and Wii has the causal games
You are BLIND nintendo fanboy, IF you think, tat PS3 won`t have casual games. Deal with that.
Not really go check the release lists for example their library currently consists mostly of mutliplats with the 360, and limited offerings in terms of things like mini-games/party games/puzzlers etc. That's nothing like what the PS2 had. At the moment PS3 is a very hardcore oriented machine, and the way things are going it will likely stay that way for the most part

LOL. Do i need to copy a LIST of 150 PS3 EXCLUSIVES?
You must be dreaming nintendo fanboy.
Fix'd the list, so 85% of the games are not announced, what makes you think they will be for PS3 while it sells like crap? PS3 support will only get worse as the gap between PS3 and Wii grows.
What crap? Are you Joke? PS3 OUTSELLING x360 WW.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

If you mean the same for PS3, you are either retarded or idiot fanboys.

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Bonafide732 said:
well the ps3 is getting bashed more than the wii.... people just think the ps3 is gonna take off and the wii will fade

Its not about the bashing its about the reasoning, those who think that the PS3 will rise based on power and the Wii will fade are fooling themselves, same with the idea that a few hardcore games are going to save the PS3, those things never make a difference

Yet, it's the core games (SSBB, SMG, WiiFit etc) that you think will upkeep the Wii's momentum...

Avinash_Tyagi said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ A_T

God forbid, someone say something that puts how the PS3 is really doing in perspective to what the PS2 did, shedding some good light on there, when you have to come trumpeting the Wii in this thread. Are you able to post without bringing up the phenomenal Wii sales? As far as the title says, this is a sony discussion.

@ Topic

That story while not the same as it is now, is about the same of what we've been hearing for the past year. I'm not saying the PS3 will turn it around, but like sky said, stranger things have happened. Sixteen months ago, we were all talking about the Wii flopping and look at it now with twenty mil (Almost) sell-through. If anyone should believe that things may turn around, I would expect Ninty fans to be the first.

Your idea that the Story is similar is weak, PS3 was never in last place with all of its competitors out, PS2 was never behind the GCN or Xbox, PS3 is behind both Wii and 360, and even after multiple price drops its still failed to jumpstart its sales, Also the analogy to Blu-ray and DVD is also poor since you never needed an expensive TV to enjoy the improvements of DVD over VHS and DVD was desired by the mass public, Blu-ray isn't

Okay, I don't mind your usual drivel, but DVD's were not desired in the mass market in 2000. Post whatever you want (which is solely Wii propaganda) but please, don't insult Vgchartz users by lying about things you think others won't know! DVD was still struggling (much because of price of format and players) in 2000 and took off about 2-3 years later.

Keep posting, don't lie. It's simple really. We know you're anti-Sony, but try to be less obvious about it... 

Around the Network
___O_o______ said:
Seriously, how did this topic turn into "defense of the Wii".
Not once was the Wii mentioned in my first post, but all these fanboys decided to bound in here and turn this sony topic into a nintendo topic.
>_<

Because A_T can't stand it when something might redeem or shed some positive light on Sony and any of it's ventures... Childish but true.

Mummelmann said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ A_T

God forbid, someone say something that puts how the PS3 is really doing in perspective to what the PS2 did, shedding some good light on there, when you have to come trumpeting the Wii in this thread. Are you able to post without bringing up the phenomenal Wii sales? As far as the title says, this is a sony discussion.

@ Topic

That story while not the same as it is now, is about the same of what we've been hearing for the past year. I'm not saying the PS3 will turn it around, but like sky said, stranger things have happened. Sixteen months ago, we were all talking about the Wii flopping and look at it now with twenty mil (Almost) sell-through. If anyone should believe that things may turn around, I would expect Ninty fans to be the first.

Your idea that the Story is similar is weak, PS3 was never in last place with all of its competitors out, PS2 was never behind the GCN or Xbox, PS3 is behind both Wii and 360, and even after multiple price drops its still failed to jumpstart its sales, Also the analogy to Blu-ray and DVD is also poor since you never needed an expensive TV to enjoy the improvements of DVD over VHS and DVD was desired by the mass public, Blu-ray isn't

Okay, I don't mind your usual drivel, but DVD's were not desired in the mass market in 2000. Post whatever you want (which is solely Wii propaganda) but please, don't insult Vgchartz users by lying about things you think others won't know! DVD was still struggling (much because of price of format and players) in 2000 and took off about 2-3 years later.

Keep posting, don't lie. It's simple really. We know you're anti-Sony, but try to be less obvious about it... 

Oh yes they were. It was pretty obvious that DVD was the way to go back then.

I also find it funny that you ignored his other points. Could it be that your finally agreeing with his other points?

call me Aaronbunny!

Wii code: 6993 4542 2457 6182. plz add me Im a wiily gd friend

brute said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

It didn't help PS2 that much, PS2 was already the winner, it would have kept on selling without it, all it did was create a temporary spike

and 15 % means its only a title for the hardcore mostly, it won't make the PS3 gain on the Wii

when it launched it had a much higher attach rate as more series came out the lower the attach rate became plus the sequel hurt some of its sales

That's all wrong you know, none of the games on the PS2 mattered, people bought it because they were stupid (i.e: not like Avinash). However, all the games on the Wii matters because those who but that are very clever (i.e: like Avinash). Don't you get it?! It's so simple...

azzer100 said:
Mummelmann said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
DMeisterJ said:
@ A_T

@ Topic

Oh yes they were. It was pretty obvious that DVD was the way to go back then.

I also find it funny that you ignored his other points. Could it be that your finally agreeing with his other points?

Aha! I've never argued that PS3 sales will trumph Wii sales, and that's a fact. It's the scale of Avinash's delusions I'm after. He and I both know that the Wii will sell the most, but not by how much.

And please stop with the BluRay/DVD analogy. DVD sales and rentals were on par with VHS in 2003 for the forst time in NA, it took another few months to happen in Europe. By 2000, a DVD player was still as expensive as a new PS2, and the discs themselves over twice as expensive as a VHS cassette on average. Why do you even bother arguing that DVD was selling majorly compared to VHS 8 years ago? It's just not true! 

Mummelmann said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
Bonafide732 said:
well the ps3 is getting bashed more than the wii.... people just think the ps3 is gonna take off and the wii will fade

Its not about the bashing its about the reasoning, those who think that the PS3 will rise based on power and the Wii will fade are fooling themselves, same with the idea that a few hardcore games are going to save the PS3, those things never make a difference

Yet, it's the core games (SSBB, SMG, WiiFit etc) that you think will upkeep the Wii's momentum...

Wii fit is a core game?  Since when?

Wii fit is causal, sorry but that's why it'll keep the momentum going 

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)