By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS2 is doomed (2000)

brute said:
___O_o______ said:

"in 2009 developers will start feeling its limitations"

your kidding right? 2009 is when the ps3 will see the release of its 2nd generation games. For you to say that developers will start to feel its limitations in 2009 is stupid. Maybe in 2012, but 2009?

"even now, developers don't know what to do with it"

oh ya. thats why theres a crapload of games being released on the Wii in the future.

"i expect to see more innovative games from the Wii"

more point and clicks? more controller wagging? more add-ons? PUHleez.

explain your ideas of "more innovative" to us

actually 2nd generation games will be relaesed this year on ps3.

tell me what crapload of games is being released on wii in the future

more innovative games like zack and wiki,like super mario galaxy and wii sports

quite a few games that should be released this year will be pushed back to 2009, so 2009 is for the most part, second generation.

crapload of games? just go to wikipedia and search wii game list. theres a Bunch

Around the Network

@CrazzyMan

I can't help but notice that your posts consist of nothing but pro-Sony statements and assumptions of absolute knowledge of the future, yet you are decidedly unwilling to back up your statements beyond simply repeating your convictions. This is not conducive to a debate, nor to getting most people to see you as anything but a poor debater. This is just a suggestion, but maybe you should try presenting some solid evidence to back your claims (instead of randomly selected somewhat popular franchise names), stop repeating said claims ad nauseum when they're challenged, and cut back on the "it's true because I say it's true" postings. If nothing else, it will raise the respect that others have for you here. You don't have to take my suggestion, and I'm not trying to provoke you here, but please do at least consider it. Thank you.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

viewsonic9 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
brute said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
brute said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
CrazzyMan said:
@dtewi:

310 mln.? in what generation which home console sold 310 mln.?

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT GENERATIONS, NOT total SALES.

if you like 310 mln. then PS1+PS2+psp = 250 mln. that of`ofcourse 20% less then 310 mln. but still A LOT. You know? =))

WE SPEAK ABOUT previous generation PEOPLE jumping from ps2/xbox/gc to ps3/x360/wii.
Don`t you understand THAT???

And YES, of`course wii will get NEW users, which haven`t played consoles before(attracted with controls), so will and PS3(attracted with amazing graphics).

However, while wii appeal to casuals that don`t care about graphics, PS3 will appeal to NEW casual base, which will see amazing PS3 graphics and will want to get PS3. I`m talking about this stuff - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28974.html
Overall PS3 and Wii will end with pretty close numbers LTD.

lol, most causlas don't care about that stuff, they'd rather get the Wii for stuff like tennis, if they cared about GT they would have played a PS2, most people didn't

actually check the sales of GT they were one of the highest on ps2 so i think they cared about it

less than 15%

That's a fact less than 15 % of the largest console cared about the game, that isn't something tha wins the console wars

well its hard to have a high attach rate with so many systems sold,and you think 15% to 115 million users isnt alot,though you should check what it did when it launched it helped ps2 alot that holiday,then ofcourse its sequel killed some of its sales

It didn't help PS2 that much, PS2 was already the winner, it would have kept on selling without it, all it did was create a temporary spike

and 15 % means its only a title for the hardcore mostly, it won't make the PS3 gain on the Wii 

Are you talking about that hardcore of 13+ million?

I'm sorry but when people start saying that GT doesn't sell consoles they might as well stick carrots up their nose and run around doing a chicken impression because it makes about as much sense.  GT3 sold millions of consoles. Sales of the PS2 had slowed right down until it was released and the PS2 & GT3 pack sold shitloads.

The first GT game on a PlayStation always sell far more than the second because the first one represents the huge graphical leap while the second is usually just a slightly upgraded version. GT5 will sell a huge amount, probably 10m +. Its the first GT on this generation and its the first GT with online play which is a massive addition.

Realistically, what percentage of the people that bought Gran Turismo will spend $400+ to play the next installment of Gran Turismo?

You have to remember that a lot of people buy games like Gran Turismo or even Mario Galaxy because they're high profile games on a system they own, not (necessarily) because they have any attachment to the series. This is how a game (like Mario Party 8) can be the weakest game of a series and still outsell every other game in the series by a wide margin, and a game can be the greatest game of a series and still be the worst selling game of the series.

People who are dedicated fans of games like Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank, and Everybody's Golf bought will buy into the PS3 based on the anticipation of these games.

This isn't saying that a game like Gran Turismo 5 will not sell really well, but it certainly will not come close to the sales of Gran Turismo 3 because there are too few gamers to buy the "high profile" racer on the PS3 and its sales will (mostly) be limited to Sony fans and PS3 owners.

hmm.. not sure about 10 million+, but it will sell a lot

Sky Render said:
@CrazzyMan

I can't help but notice that your posts consist of nothing but pro-Sony statements and assumptions of absolute knowledge of the future, yet you are decidedly unwilling to back up your statements beyond simply repeating your convictions. This is not conducive to a debate, nor to getting most people to see you as anything but a poor debater. This is just a suggestion, but maybe you should try presenting some solid evidence to back your claims (instead of randomly selected somewhat popular franchise names), stop repeating said claims ad nauseum when they're challenged, and cut back on the "it's true because I say it's true" postings. If nothing else, it will raise the respect that others have for you here. You don't have to take my suggestion, and I'm not trying to provoke you here, but please do at least consider it. Thank you.

Trying to talk sense to Crazzy will not get you anywhere. He is the baseless fanboy and will defend his ship, even if it's sinking.

The BuShA owns all!

Around the Network

I feel sorry for the Sony fanboys because people like Crazzyman give them a bad name. People like Crazzy and Hus do more damage to their cause than helping and they don't even realize it.

Sometimes I wonder if they are really Sony haters like the people who created the SDF. 

Well When i read that article, it sounded like what people were saying about the Wii Last year. As somebody who has been gaming for a long time, i ca generally say the Wii is a breath of fresh air, and though i am a big fan of the Playstation brand, i will not fool my self in thinking, it will ever start dominating, its a bit too late for that. I keep hearing people say oh, wait later on this year, the domination will begin, and to tell the truth i have no doubt i will be the hearing the same thing next year.
Now there is nothing wrong with supporting the console you love (some people seem to love thier consoles too much here), but lets not start making wild claims. Sony needs to actually have a larger userbase, than the 360 b4 its can even look at the Wii, and all signs indicate the wii will still keep selling (has been selling over the Combined sales of PS3 and 360 WW), nothing is this succesfull and then just stops selling.

BUT!!! so the F what. Just like last generation, this generation will be featuring quality software for all consoles. Each console has already got amazing software (Mario Galaxy, Unchrted, Gears Of war).
Its rather anoying when people degrade a console you own just to justify thier purchase or prefrence, and i am looking at you here ___O_o______, its funny how you state the Wii is getting crappy sofware but fail to illustrate any of its heavy hitter coming out jeez. People like you will suffer this generation because you fail to see any positives in other console, so you will forever be bitter if your console is not number one. Its rather foolish. You totally weakend your credability.

Nintendo & Sony Supporter

Currently own- DS, PSP, PS2, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3 DreamCast.

Man i have too many consoles..... 

Quotes to live by!

"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing"- Helen Keller

"i am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward"-Thomas Edison

"Man is not the creature of circumstancesCircumstances are the creatures of men"

HappySqurriel said:
viewsonic9 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
brute said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
brute said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
CrazzyMan said:
@dtewi:

310 mln.? in what generation which home console sold 310 mln.?

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT GENERATIONS, NOT total SALES.

if you like 310 mln. then PS1+PS2+psp = 250 mln. that of`ofcourse 20% less then 310 mln. but still A LOT. You know? =))

WE SPEAK ABOUT previous generation PEOPLE jumping from ps2/xbox/gc to ps3/x360/wii.
Don`t you understand THAT???

And YES, of`course wii will get NEW users, which haven`t played consoles before(attracted with controls), so will and PS3(attracted with amazing graphics).

However, while wii appeal to casuals that don`t care about graphics, PS3 will appeal to NEW casual base, which will see amazing PS3 graphics and will want to get PS3. I`m talking about this stuff - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28974.html
Overall PS3 and Wii will end with pretty close numbers LTD.

lol, most causlas don't care about that stuff, they'd rather get the Wii for stuff like tennis, if they cared about GT they would have played a PS2, most people didn't

actually check the sales of GT they were one of the highest on ps2 so i think they cared about it

less than 15%

That's a fact less than 15 % of the largest console cared about the game, that isn't something tha wins the console wars

well its hard to have a high attach rate with so many systems sold,and you think 15% to 115 million users isnt alot,though you should check what it did when it launched it helped ps2 alot that holiday,then ofcourse its sequel killed some of its sales

It didn't help PS2 that much, PS2 was already the winner, it would have kept on selling without it, all it did was create a temporary spike

and 15 % means its only a title for the hardcore mostly, it won't make the PS3 gain on the Wii

Are you talking about that hardcore of 13+ million?

I'm sorry but when people start saying that GT doesn't sell consoles they might as well stick carrots up their nose and run around doing a chicken impression because it makes about as much sense. GT3 sold millions of consoles. Sales of the PS2 had slowed right down until it was released and the PS2 & GT3 pack sold shitloads.

The first GT game on a PlayStation always sell far more than the second because the first one represents the huge graphical leap while the second is usually just a slightly upgraded version. GT5 will sell a huge amount, probably 10m +. Its the first GT on this generation and its the first GT with online play which is a massive addition.

Realistically, what percentage of the people that bought Gran Turismo will spend $400+ to play the next installment of Gran Turismo?

You have to remember that a lot of people buy games like Gran Turismo or even Mario Galaxy because they're high profile games on a system they own, not (necessarily) because they have any attachment to the series. This is how a game (like Mario Party 8) can be the weakest game of a series and still outsell every other game in the series by a wide margin, and a game can be the greatest game of a series and still be the worst selling game of the series.

People who are dedicated fans of games like Gran Turismo, Ratchet and Clank, and Everybody's Golf bought will buy into the PS3 based on the anticipation of these games.

This isn't saying that a game like Gran Turismo 5 will not sell really well, but it certainly will not come close to the sales of Gran Turismo 3 because there are too few gamers to buy the "high profile" racer on the PS3 and its sales will (mostly) be limited to Sony fans and PS3 owners.

Mario Party 8 sold so well because it's the first of the series on the Wii.

All of those games you mention sell consoles, and the ones this year will sell more. 

I felt I had to try. I hate to see anybody get themselves into a position where others feel they're a disgrace to the group they represent...

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

PS2 had a large and varied library PS3 will not

You know this how? We are over 1 year mark for the ps3 and already you are saying it will not have a large and varied library? You can't even try to establish that at this point. Perhaps in a few more years when more games are out and it is clearer which system(s) will have lots of titles and the best game variety. 

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka