By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS2 is doomed (2000)

brute said:
___O_o______ said:
brute said:
catprog said:
___O_o______ said:

Pretend this is two years from now. The Wii price has dropped considerably (let's say 180) and the ps3 has dropped to (250) . When they see a bunch of games that they recognize on the ps3 that were on the ps2, would they choose a PS3 over Wii? After all, it is just a 70 dollar difference. When they see the same old franchises from 20 years ago as games on the Wii, will they choose a Wii over a ps3?

So old franchises will help the PS3 but not the wii?

hes saying that ps2's franchises will help sell ps3 more then wii though i think wii will steal alot of them

I personally don't think the Wii will be able to steal those Franchises. Quite a few of those ps2 franchises started on the playstation brand. Putting those games on the Wii would be a huge step back graphics-wise, but gameplay wise, who knows.

The Wii will start its own franchises, that fill in all the genres it didn't get from the ps2. So in my eyes, it's proven titles, against new titles. The question is, will those ps2 users going to the next-gen choose those proven titles or the newer titles?

i think wii will steal most of its japanese oriented series

Perhaps. If the Wii continues to widen the gap right now which I think will happen. I do not pretend to understand the Japanese market as it is not anything like the U.S. market. What I do know is that whatever factor that is affecting the Jap. market is clearly driving the Japanese to buy the Wii. Maybe Nintendo realized all of these factors and crafted the Wii specifically for Japan. Now, looking at things the way it is now, Japanese developers who are developing games for the PS3 must make sure it will cater to Western markets or else they might run into trouble on they will run into trouble on the home front. However, games that the Western population likes are known to score big in Japan...

Around the Network
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Yeah but even then its not the full userbase, , 50% + is awesome, but we have yet to find a 100% attach rate game

a game can never have 100% attach rate only unless its bundled on all regions its whole life time

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

___O_o______ said:
Have you been to the future Avinash??? cause from what it seems like, you haven't. You're using "will" in your sentences.

You're predictions /= fact

"the ps2 had a large and varied library. Ps3 will not."

JUST WOW. WOW. You think sony's not doing anything about this???? They trying to break that barrier, and at the end of this year, we will know if they are succesful at breaking this barrier. Home, Singstar, Little Big planet, stardust, aqua, etc. and a whole SLEW of previous ps1 games will be released this year. And then there's the PSN games that will also be released. It's VERY ignorant to say the ps3 will not have a large and varied library, unless you're from the future or something, and have seen its line-up.

So it'll have a weaker version of the Wii's lineup?  because Wii will have Nintendo games and a lot more older games, and a lot of third party causal games, and some hardcore games, while PS3 has only a few causal games and mostly third party hardcore games, i don't need to be fro mthe future, just have to be able to see trends

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

brute said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

Yeah but even then its not the full userbase, , 50% + is awesome, but we have yet to find a 100% attach rate game

a game can never have 100% attach rate only unless its bundled on all regions its whole life time

And so that was my point, no game ever appeals to the full userbase, which is why you need a very large and varied library

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

___O_o______ said:
Have you been to the future Avinash??? cause from what it seems like, you haven't. You're using "will" in your sentences.

You're predictions /= fact

"the ps2 had a large and varied library. Ps3 will not."

JUST WOW. WOW. You think sony's not doing anything about this???? They trying to break that barrier, and at the end of this year, we will know if they are succesful at breaking this barrier. Home, Singstar, Little Big planet, stardust, aqua, etc. and a whole SLEW of previous ps1 games will be released this year. And then there's the PSN games that will also be released. It's VERY ignorant to say the ps3 will not have a large and varied library, unless you're from the future or something, and have seen its line-up.

In terms of predicting the future, you are the one who thinks the PS3 will be dominant once again just because the PS2 is. The fact that Sony is trying to bring the PS3 all of the games you're mentioning shows that they have realized their mistake with the PS3 not that the games you're mentioning will somehow lift the PS3 to first place. The success of those games are rather debatable. But the fact of the matter is, Sony released the PS3 in fierce competition with MS and Nintendo and for every actions Sony makes, Microsoft and Nintendo will respond it kind.

Around the Network
totalwar23 said:

Perhaps. If the Wii continues to widen the gap right now which I think will happen. I do not pretend to understand the Japanese market as it is not anything like the U.S. market. What I do know is that whatever factor that is affecting the Jap. market is clearly driving the Japanese to buy the Wii. Maybe Nintendo realized all of these factors and crafted the Wii specifically for Japan. Now, looking at things the way it is now, Japanese developers who are developing games for the PS3 must make sure it will cater to Western markets or else they might run into trouble on they will run into trouble on the home front. However, games that the Western population likes are known to score big in Japan...

not all for example dragon quest and monster hunter,capcom made a good desicion and put it on wii because its majority of sales are on japan.

and now square enix has to think carefully where to put it and the best bet would be wii because dragon quest also mostly sell in japan.

so japanese developers can get a huge hit if they dont release theyre games on the right platform because not all of them sell good on the west

Avinash_Tyagi said:
brute said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

And so that was my point, no game ever appeals to the full userbase, which is why you need a very large and varied library

i know but i was saying that GT is a system seller even though it only had a 15% attach rate

brute said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
brute said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:

i know but i was saying that GT is a system seller even though it only had a 15% attach rate

A system seller to the hardcore yes, but not to wider market Wii is targeting

All the article proved is that some people lack vision.
(That same statement also applies to many posters).

The PS3 is a very technologically advanced system. It is built for 2009. Unfortunately, it was released in 2006. That means that for roughly half its life it is going to be bleeding edge. And a lot of people stay away from that.

The Wii is a wonderful system to play but does have two shortcomings. It cannot produce graphics as good as the other two systems out there. It gets a lot of junk produced for it by third-party developers. ... Both of these were the characteristics of another system -- the PS2.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

If we believe in history repeating itself let's look at history.. No console maker has EVER had more than one - two victories in a row I'll illustrate

Geneisis - Sega CD
NES - SNES - N64
Atari 2600 - atari 5200
Gameboy - Virtual boy

If we truely believe in history as the be all to end all sony couldn't win this generation thankfully history can be bunked Wii may very well latch it's victory and ride it for a while, at best PS3 would look to surpass it late 2009, and that's providing the Wii suddenly started selling 50% what it is now and PS3 doubled.. The PS2 had several advantages that the PS3 simply cannot afford and Blu ray won't help it's value like DVD did the PS2 because average consumers don't even know the difference and when they do they generally see no point to the medium. With DVD vs VHS there was a clear benefit to everybody with blu-ray vs dvd there's not a clear difference to average Joe Six-pack.