By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS2 is doomed (2000)

souixan said:
If we believe in history repeating itself let's look at history.. No console maker has EVER had more than one - two victories in a row I'll illustrate

Geneisis - Sega CD
NES - SNES - N64
Atari 2600 - atari 5200
Gameboy - Virtual boy

If we truely believe in history as the be all to end all sony couldn't win this generation thankfully history can be bunked Wii may very well latch it's victory and ride it for a while, at best PS3 would look to surpass it late 2009, and that's providing the Wii suddenly started selling 50% what it is now and PS3 doubled.. The PS2 had several advantages that the PS3 simply cannot afford and Blu ray won't help it's value like DVD did the PS2 because average consumers don't even know the difference and when they do see no point to the medium. With DVD vs VHS there was a clear benefit to everybody with blu-ray vs dvd there's not a clear difference to average Joe Six-pack.

i think history will be bunked and nintendo will make its thrsd victory,unless ofcourse wii stops selling(which will likely not happen)

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Around the Network

Who cares if its from nintendo or not, do you think the average consumer cares?
PUBLISHER? =)
Unless, they are going to release hundreds of cheap games, you won`t see good games on wii. Then why to bother?

Is that achievement, if wii will make over 200 mln. sales of casuals, which won`t care about NORMAL games, not Wii FIT? =))

Just wait and see, when the release of these big games o nthe PS3 don't push PS3 into first place then you'll see I was right, not only Will Wii still lead, but after temporary spike its lead will continue to grow

1 game won`t make big SPIKES inPS3 sales, BUT all 10-20 GAMES WILL.

x360 2006/2007 - PS3 2007/2008
02nd December 320,831 - 01st December 360,831
09th December 442,824 - 08th December 415,663
16th December 496,835 - 15th December 512,049
23rd December 566,638 - 22nd December 599,883
30th December 202,107 - 29th December 390,321
06th January 144,033 - 05th January 268,895

do you see increase? x360 had gears of war, PS3 only Uncharted, Ratchet, HS, Lair + other multiplatform games. With NO HYPED system seller in LAST 6 weeks PS3 outsold x360 by 60%.

Most people didn't care about gaming, why do you think Nintendo is trying to do with the Wii, what did Reggie say in E3 2006? Do you know people who never read books or watch TV or go to the movies? How about video games?
the PS2 userbase is different, with different tastes.
Most games never appeal to the full userbase of any console, even packins
BECAUSE PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT TASTES.

The number of people who will buy a PS3 for any (or all) of these games, that have not currently bought a PS3 (or will not buy one in the near future) is small.

HappySqurriel, so how MANY people jumped from PS2 to PS3 already? How many peopel still on PS2? (hint: look at NFS and GH3 sales)

Wrong, the PS2 appealed to 100 million +, PS3 will not
Wrong, PS3 will do.
PS2 had a large and varied library PS3 will not
YES IT WILL!
PS3 is not the PS2
FOR NOW!

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

mike_intellivision said:
All the article proved is that some people lack vision.
(That same statement also applies to many posters).

The PS3 is a very technologically advanced system. It is built for 2009. Unfortunately, it was released in 2006. That means that for roughly half its life it is going to be bleeding edge. And a lot of people stay away from that.

The Wii is a wonderful system to play but does have two shortcomings. It cannot produce graphics as good as the other two systems out there. It gets a lot of junk produced for it by third-party developers. ... Both of these were the characteristics of another system -- the PS2.

Mike from Morgantown

I don't believe that. Blu-ray yes, was built for 2009 but not the PS3's specs. Even now, the PS3 hardware is midrange compared to PCs. In 2009, developers will start feeling its limitations and soon, a higher hardware is needed or we'll be playing the same games over and over again with different coats of paint. The interface of the Wii, however, is rather brand new. Even now, developers don't know what to do with it. I expect to see more innovatived games from the Wii. 

^thats why wii will sell alot it feels fresh and innovative

Avinash_Tyagi said:
viewsonic9 said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
gamingdevil said:
Actually his baseless PS2 bashing reminds me of the gazillion articles bashing the Wii...

Deja vu?

Exactly, they SDF'ers think it applies to the PS3, but they are off base the Wii is where history will repeat

I think you will find it actually applies a hell of a lot more to the PS3. You could pretty much just replace every PS2 in the article with PS3 and it would read like any of the pieces written about the PS3 over the last year.

Lets look at some of the main points and see if they apply more to the PS3 or Wii shall we?

The most powerful console but with no games.

Using its ability to play movies on a new media as a selling point.

More difficult to develop for than its rivals.

Costing twice as much as its rival because of features that gamers dont want.

Nintendo & Microsoft being pointed out as its main rivals.

Mmm. Now I might have missed something but I cant see much there that sounds more like the Wii than the PS3 can you?

PS2 wasn't the most powerful console when all three were out, it also was the first out, not in the middle, it was never behind the GCN or the Xbox, it was never twice as much as the GCN or Xbox, sorry but your comparison between the PS2 and PS3 is hopelessly flawed

Edit:  Sorry meant PS2 not PS3 

I think you should read the article again. He clearly says in it that the PS2 is the most powerful console. We are talking about this article and how it could easily apply to the PS3. Whether the PS2 was the most powerful has nothing to do with it.

Around the Network
totalwar23 said:
mike_intellivision said:

The PS3 is a very technologically advanced system. It is built for 2009. Unfortunately, it was released in 2006. That means that for roughly half its life it is going to be bleeding edge. And a lot of people stay away from that.

The Wii is a wonderful system to play but does have two shortcomings. It cannot produce graphics as good as the other two systems out there. It gets a lot of junk produced for it by third-party developers. ... Both of these were the characteristics of another system -- the PS2.

Mike from Morgantown

I don't believe that. Blu-ray yes, was built for 2009 but not the PS3's specs. Even now, the PS3 hardware is midrange compared to PCs. In 2009, developers will start feeling its limitations and soon, a higher hardware is needed or we'll be playing the same games over and over again with different coats of paint. The interface of the Wii, however, is rather brand new. Even now, developers don't know what to do with it. I expect to see more innovatived games from the Wii.

"in 2009 developers will start feeling its limitations"

your kidding right? 2009 is when the ps3 will see the release of its 2nd generation games. For you to say that developers will start to feel its limitations  in 2009 is stupid. Maybe in 2012, but 2009?

"even now, developers don't know what to do with it"

oh ya. thats why theres a crapload of games being released on the Wii in the future.

"i expect to see more innovative games from the Wii"

more point and clicks? more controller wagging? more add-ons?  PUHleez.

explain your ideas of "more innovative" to us

___O_o______ said:

your kidding right? 2009 is when the ps3 will see the release of its 2nd generation games. For you to say that developers will start to feel its limitations  in 2009 is stupid. Maybe in 2012, but 2009?

oh ya. thats why theres a crapload of games being released on the Wii in the future.

more point and clicks? more controller wagging? more add-ons?  PUHleez.

actually 2nd generation games will be relaesed this year on ps3.

tell me what crapload of games is being released on wii in the future

more innovative games like zack and wiki,like super mario galaxy and wii sports

___O_o______ said:
totalwar23 said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

your kidding right? 2009 is when the ps3 will see the release of its 2nd generation games. For you to say that developers will start to feel its limitations in 2009 is stupid. Maybe in 2012, but 2009?

more point and clicks? more controller wagging? more add-ons? PUHleez.

Fine and well but you say this knowing the release list for the Wii is almost double the PS3's for 2008 thus far where initial support for both systems was the exact opposite yes? I used to have the full lists but I've since lost them anyway it's late goodnight...

Avinash_Tyagi said:
brute said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
brute said:
Avinash_Tyagi said:
CrazzyMan said:
@dtewi:

310 mln.? in what generation which home console sold 310 mln.?

WE ARE TALKING ABOUT GENERATIONS, NOT total SALES.

if you like 310 mln. then PS1+PS2+psp = 250 mln. that of`ofcourse 20% less then 310 mln. but still A LOT. You know? =))

WE SPEAK ABOUT previous generation PEOPLE jumping from ps2/xbox/gc to ps3/x360/wii.
Don`t you understand THAT???

And YES, of`course wii will get NEW users, which haven`t played consoles before(attracted with controls), so will and PS3(attracted with amazing graphics).

However, while wii appeal to casuals that don`t care about graphics, PS3 will appeal to NEW casual base, which will see amazing PS3 graphics and will want to get PS3. I`m talking about this stuff - http://www.gametrailers.com/player/28974.html
Overall PS3 and Wii will end with pretty close numbers LTD.

lol, most causlas don't care about that stuff, they'd rather get the Wii for stuff like tennis, if they cared about GT they would have played a PS2, most people didn't

actually check the sales of GT they were one of the highest on ps2 so i think they cared about it

less than 15%

That's a fact less than 15 % of the largest console cared about the game, that isn't something tha wins the console wars

well its hard to have a high attach rate with so many systems sold,and you think 15% to 115 million users isnt alot,though you should check what it did when it launched it helped ps2 alot that holiday,then ofcourse its sequel killed some of its sales

It didn't help PS2 that much, PS2 was already the winner, it would have kept on selling without it, all it did was create a temporary spike

and 15 % means its only a title for the hardcore mostly, it won't make the PS3 gain on the Wii 

Are you talking about that hardcore of 13+ million?

I'm sorry but when people start saying that GT doesn't sell consoles they might as well stick carrots up their nose and run around doing a chicken impression because it makes about as much sense.  GT3 sold millions of consoles. Sales of the PS2 had slowed right down until it was released and the PS2 & GT3 pack sold shitloads.

The first GT game on a PlayStation always sell far more than the second because the first one represents the huge graphical leap while the second is usually just a slightly upgraded version. GT5 will sell a huge amount, probably 10m +. Its the first GT on this generation and its the first GT with online play which is a massive addition.

___O_o______ said:
totalwar23 said:
mike_intellivision said:

Mike from Morgantown

your kidding right? 2009 is when the ps3 will see the release of its 2nd generation games. For you to say that developers will start to feel its limitations in 2009 is stupid. Maybe in 2012, but 2009?

more point and clicks? more controller wagging? more add-ons? PUHleez.

And here's where you comments degrade to fanboy levels...or has it already started earlier?

Yes, in 2009, the capabilitiess PS3 as well as the 360 will be more limited due to more advances in technology. Ever heard of the Geforce 9 series? It's launching this year. When developers start getting more ambitious with what they want to do, they'll realized that it won't be possible on consoles until they optimize their progamming for more efficiency. They will in fact be mining the consoles to squeeze out any extra power.

As for your comments on the Wii, it's clear that you simply hate it if you're to make degrading comments about it's games so there's no point in explaining  to you but innovation is about new things and change. The Wii has already done that and it's clear that people like it. Like I said, capabilities of the Wiimote hasn't been fully realized yet. Finer tuning and development will ushered in a new breed of games to rival that of the pretty graphics of the PS3 and 360. When people were able to aim with the Wiimote on a console on the TV instead of using analog sticks, that wasn't innovative? When you're able swing the Wiimote like a baseball bat instead of pushing a button, that wasn't innovative? When you're able to swing the Wiimote like a golf club, well you get the point. But I don't expect you to understand that.