By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony falls to a new 30 YEAR low. Markets just dont believe them.

goddog said:
Soundwave said:

MS "buying" Sony would be awful, all they would do is gut the Playstation brand/legacy and erase it from the market to allow the XBox brand to have full sway over the "hardcore" market. You're beyond naive if you think they'd have any need for the Playstation if they ever got control of it, it'd always be the red headed adopted child, the XBox would be the "real" child.  They'd maybe keep the Uncharted and Gran Turismo brands until they showed declining sales, but every other Sony franchise would likely be thrown under the rug. Look what they've done to Rare.

They'd also likely just bail on the Japanese industry period.

The Microsoft-Nokia "partnership" is going horribly by the way. Nokia is in big trouble.

Sony + Nintendo (with perhaps a little bit of Google in there) would make a lot more sense, neither company is big enough to bully/buy out the other, they'd be forced to collaborate as equals and whereas MS/Sony have nothing but overlap in targeting the same exact audiences, Sony + Nintendo actually are the perfect ying/yang to each other (ie: Mario brings in one audience, Uncharted another, Zelda brings in one audience, Gran Turismo another). Now that Kaz Hirai is president of Sony (a game guy) he can talk shop directly with Mr. Iwata as they're both Japanese video game veterans. 

They'd also consolidate the Japanese development community as a whole under one banner (see: Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, which Nintendo seems to have cut Sony off from, and MGS and Final Fantasy on the Sony side).

you assume MS would want the gaming assets, where i see the movie music and PC assets as the main reason to own sony, spin off the entertainment division or sell it off peice mill. the bigger problem and the reason they will not be taken over is debt, its easier to wait for them to have to sell themselves bit by bit to service it

Either way from a gaming perspective ... the Playstation brand would be kaput in this scenario. 

Microsoft would have no need for it as the XBox brand already serves the exact same demographic and that's their own baby that they've invested years into. You're also probably talking about a mass exodus from Sony's game studios if this happened (ie: how's Polypony Digital going to feel when MS insists they shove out a new Gran Turismo every 2 years? Half the team would probably leave). This same thing happened with Rare. 

Getting rid of the Playstation entirely would leave them the entire hardcore industry basically unchallenged. I mean maybe Nintendo could muster up a little fight for that demographic, but realistically it wouldn't be much of a fight. 

The music industry has collapsed, the movie studio (Columbia) is up and down, and the PC division -- really what's there that Microsoft would really need? Is Sony even one of the top three PC manufacturers? They're certainly not strong in the areas Microsoft needs help in -- the tablet market. 

Around the Network
sales2099 said:
What most people dont realize is inflation.

The number 30 years ago was worth a lot more then it is now.

So by what you mean is that Sony has less worth than it had in 30 years ago? Despite the same stock points?

Yay!!!

Soundwave said:
goddog said:
Soundwave said:

MS "buying" Sony would be awful, all they would do is gut the Playstation brand/legacy and erase it from the market to allow the XBox brand to have full sway over the "hardcore" market. You're beyond naive if you think they'd have any need for the Playstation if they ever got control of it, it'd always be the red headed adopted child, the XBox would be the "real" child.  They'd maybe keep the Uncharted and Gran Turismo brands until they showed declining sales, but every other Sony franchise would likely be thrown under the rug. Look what they've done to Rare.

They'd also likely just bail on the Japanese industry period.

The Microsoft-Nokia "partnership" is going horribly by the way. Nokia is in big trouble.

Sony + Nintendo (with perhaps a little bit of Google in there) would make a lot more sense, neither company is big enough to bully/buy out the other, they'd be forced to collaborate as equals and whereas MS/Sony have nothing but overlap in targeting the same exact audiences, Sony + Nintendo actually are the perfect ying/yang to each other (ie: Mario brings in one audience, Uncharted another, Zelda brings in one audience, Gran Turismo another). Now that Kaz Hirai is president of Sony (a game guy) he can talk shop directly with Mr. Iwata as they're both Japanese video game veterans. 

They'd also consolidate the Japanese development community as a whole under one banner (see: Monster Hunter, Dragon Quest, which Nintendo seems to have cut Sony off from, and MGS and Final Fantasy on the Sony side).

you assume MS would want the gaming assets, where i see the movie music and PC assets as the main reason to own sony, spin off the entertainment division or sell it off peice mill. the bigger problem and the reason they will not be taken over is debt, its easier to wait for them to have to sell themselves bit by bit to service it

Either way from a gaming perspective ... the Playstation brand would be kaput in this scenario. 

Microsoft would have no need for it as the XBox brand already serves the exact same demographic and that's their own baby that they've invested years into. You're also probably talking about a mass exodus from Sony's game studios if this happened (ie: how's Polypony Digital going to feel when MS insists they shove out a new Gran Turismo every 2 years? Half the team would probably leave). This same thing happened with Rare. 

Getting rid of the Playstation entirely would leave them the entire hardcore industry basically unchallenged. I mean maybe Nintendo could muster up a little fight for that demographic, but realistically it wouldn't be much of a fight. 

The music industry has collapsed, the movie studio (Columbia) is up and down, and the PC division -- really what's there that Microsoft would really need? Is Sony even one of the top three PC manufacturers? They're certainly not strong in the areas Microsoft needs help in -- the tablet market. 

the music industry has not collapsed, they just want us to think it has, revenues and profits grew in the last year, but MS does not care about that, its the content they would want for other ventrues and to have a card against Apple, same with laptops, while not in the top end volume wise they are still respected for thier products and simply keeping them around as a high end niche builder to show the way or set the tone for other builders of laptops would be worth it, someone to challenge Apple on a design front.

I do agree there would be Mass exodus, but who knows maybe a new player emerges Steam console perhaps, studios will be closed/ spun off, new ones will form, studios will have to put games out more frequently or get canned unless they find a new sugar daddy, i doubt even sony will let polyphony get away with the bull they pulled this gen next, (really was a let down for all the time they took, as was square/enix)

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

MonstaMack said:
My guess is people are buying more cheap/crappy TVs. Sony = Quality when it comes to TVs, that's what I tell everyone and It's sad when people go for the cheapest TV only to face problems in the long run.

I dont know about that. I mean how is sony making quality TVs? They basically buy slightly above average samsung panels (samsung keeps the best panels for themselves) and build some piano black plastic around it. Sony is not really making own TVs anymore.

Purchasing Sony is well within Apple's capabilities. It would potentially go a long way in building up their Apple TV line with all the movies, music, games, and other franchises that Sony owns. They could literally push all of the junk off of the plate and start it over again as a fresh company with a very large back library which they have absolute control over.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
Purchasing Sony is well within Apple's capabilities. It would potentially go a long way in building up their Apple TV line with all the movies, music, games, and other franchises that Sony owns. They could literally push all of the junk off of the plate and start it over again as a fresh company with a very large back library which they have absolute control over.

Outside of the Playstation brand, there isn't much there that Apple needs. And honestly if Apple decided to make a serious push into the game market they probably would eat Sony alive. 

The Sony brand if anything would be a liability. 

No one wants a Sony iPhone. They want an APPLE iPhone. 

Also I think any purchase/take over of Sony by a Western entity in effect would crush the spirit of Sony in a lot of ways. Sony under the control of foreigners wouldn't sit well in Japan, the board of Sony probably would have to resign for starters. 

kowenicki said:
Laurel Aitken said:
kowenicki said:
logic56 said:
lol at all the "expertz" in this thread, our resident armchair analyst never cease to amaze

Great contribution. 

Lol at all the hyper sensitive souls that feel the need to downplay and deflect.  Nothing constructive to say? 

Hahaha. Is funny how you lol at the "hyper sensitive souls" when the hyper sensitive answer was yours. Relax a little.

another great contribution..

If you relaxed... then  yes, it was a great contribution, you clearly need it.

I applaud speculation, but there is a stunning naivete going on in this thread. Microsoft and Nintendo are unlike Sony in that they aren't collectors. They prefer to subcontract out, build their own studios, or bulk up existing studios. To be blunt even if a really good Sony studios were up for sale. Neither party would be apt to buy unless it was priced at a substantial discount. Both Microsoft and Nintendo have substantial reserves of capitol, and haven't utilized that to go on a acquisition spree this generation. Even when it would have been a real shot in the arm for their lineups.

What is even more troubling is the naivete when it comes to how Sony operates. Sony is actually more apt to go raze its studios before going to the trouble of selling them. Sony views assets as expendable rather then as long term prospects for resale. Sony is more slash and burn then it is conserve and nurture. The net result is that Sony streamlines studios to suit their needs, and their needs alone. Making them a hard sell to other companies. Which brings us back to the point studios are like food to Sony. The company eats studios, and what comes out the far side is nothing like what came in the front. Sony really does eat its own. It just doesn't maintain a high resale value.

As for the talk about Apple I am not sure where this thinking is coming from. Apple doesn't need any of what you guys think Sony has, and if Sony is performing poorly. Then why would Apple want to acquire Sony. It wouldn't even be a good fit remotely. I will say this however the Japanese populace would probably be supportive of say a Western company acquiring Sony if the alternatives are bankruptcy, or it being acquired by a Chinese company. If you don't understand what I am getting at just look up war atrocities.

Anyway all this talk about Sony selling studios that would have to be sold at a severe discount seems premature. It is just antithetical to the entire situation. In both directions no less. Selling studios isn't in Sony's nature, and the market for what they have would have to be fairly soft. Sony isn't in great shape, but I don't see it as being in such a desperate state.

Jumpin said:

lol

oh shit that's spam

lol no

Wh1pL4shL1ve_007 said:
sales2099 said:
What most people dont realize is inflation.

The number 30 years ago was worth a lot more then it is now.

So by what you mean is that Sony has less worth than it had in 30 years ago? Despite the same stock points?

Many people dont take inflation into account. 

Xbox: Best hardware, Game Pass best value, best BC, more 1st party genres and multiplayer titles.