By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - VGC Atheists,Whats your reason?

Kantor said:

The phrase "blind faith in science" makes no sense. Science is based upon rationality and experimentation.Everything is assumed false until there is evidence of it.

sure but that does promote bragging about something false which will be proved right in the future

it also promotes fear and panic like the global warming.

And if more evidence proves a theory wrong, the theory is modified or replaced by a new theory. Science's willingness to change is its greatest strength.

yes but what is life about being scientific,just about chase of more knowledge isn't it?

On the other hand, religion is a fixed "truth" which was somewhat believable 2000 years ago,

no its not,thats ignorance aka blind faith in knowledge

all religions are not the same.if you really read a bit more on pantheism you wouldn't have said that

with the meagre science that we had, but which quite often contradicts actual scientific evidence (creationism contradicts evolution;

creationism of what,this universe or makind

thats you thinking all religions are the same

the Bible has no dinosaurs; the world is 3 billion rather than 600 years old, and so on) which has been more recently discovered.You are putting your faith in somebody who claims to have seen god (who has of course done no such thing), who hasn't really done any research, and who, to be honest, probably hasn't even read the Bible in any detail, judging by what the majority of Christians seem to preach.

exactly that whats wrong.

but i wasn't trying to put faith in people but an understanding between science and religion(the right kind)

I would gladly put my "faith" in the consensus of research scientists who analyze and question everything, but not in a pastor or imam or what have you who tells me that I am going to hell for believing in evolution or some such thing.

no religion on earth says that you will go to hell believing in evolution

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
It saves me money.

from what?

pezus said:
snakenobi said:
pezus said:
Why would I believe really? I don't see the benefits in believing in something that I can't see or feel.

panthiesm isn't about believing

A quick Wikipedia search tells me it is

Oh, and that's interesting...The anime Gurren Lagann likely got inspired by this belief o.O

sorry i didn't clarify in what should we believe

its not about believing in a deity but your own

In any way I try to put it, it's offensive and it'll likely get me banned. So I'll just mark the thread.

oldschoolfool said:
religion is'nt reality. It's just something put believe in to make themselves feel better,nothing more.

religion is just a culture so it is definitely reality

GOD is what you mean and only in the way religions people think of GOD

Around the Network
snakenobi said:

Kantor said:

The phrase "blind faith in science" makes no sense. Science is based upon rationality and experimentation.Everything is assumed false until there is evidence of it.

sure but that does promote bragging about something false which will be proved right in the future

it also promotes fear and panic like the global warming.

And if more evidence proves a theory wrong, the theory is modified or replaced by a new theory. Science's willingness to change is its greatest strength.

yes but what is life about being scientific,just about chase of more knowledge isn't it?

On the other hand, religion is a fixed "truth" which was somewhat believable 2000 years ago,

no its not,thats ignorance aka blind faith in knowledge

all religions are not the same.if you really read a bit more on pantheism you wouldn't have said that

with the meagre science that we had, but which quite often contradicts actual scientific evidence (creationism contradicts evolution;

creationism of what,this universe or makind

thats you thinking all religions are the same

the Bible has no dinosaurs; the world is 3 billion rather than 600 years old, and so on) which has been more recently discovered.You are putting your faith in somebody who claims to have seen god (who has of course done no such thing), who hasn't really done any research, and who, to be honest, probably hasn't even read the Bible in any detail, judging by what the majority of Christians seem to preach.

exactly that whats wrong.

but i wasn't trying to put faith in people but an understanding between science and religion(the right kind)

I would gladly put my "faith" in the consensus of research scientists who analyze and question everything, but not in a pastor or imam or what have you who tells me that I am going to hell for believing in evolution or some such thing.

no religion on earth says that you will go to hell believing in evolution

Global warming isn't fear or panic. It's legitimate worry about a real (though overblown) problem.

Science is, indeed, about the chase of more knowledge, either until the end of humanity or until we discover everything (which will probably never happen).

I'm arguing primarily against the Abrahamic religions here, because together, their followers make up a good half of the world's population. But if you insist, I also don't believe in the idea that a monkey (Hanuman) killed a man with ten heads and set fire to his city as part of a grand plan hatched by a shapeshifting man who, at one point, became an elephant. And yes, I do realise that Hinduism is metaphorical. A literal interpretation of it is even more ridiculous than a literal interpretation of Christianity.

Why don't I believe in it? Because I don't want a god (no matter what his form) who doesn't necessarily exist to instruct me on the moral way to live my life. I would say setting fire to an entire city is pretty immoral, but the Ramayana seems fine with that.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

ooooh Snakenobi...I just...I don't think I'm capable of proclaiming your ignorance without being reported six ways from sunday. So I'll leave it at this: You are ignorant. your logic fails on every level. You're a primary example of WHY atheists feel superior to theists.

And that is all I will say. This thread is not worth my time. I said my piece, if all I'm gonna get is "Nuh Uh, you're stupid" then I'm not gonna bother. I've spent enough time in school, reading textbooks, and studying psychology to know that no amount of rational, well thought out arguments could possibly make you even stop for a fraction of a second to contemplate the implications of how wrong you are.

Have fun guys, I'm out.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:
ooooh Snakenobi...I just...I don't think I'm capable of proclaiming your ignorance without being reported six ways from sunday. So I'll leave it at this: You are ignorant. your logic fails on every level. You're a primary example of WHY atheists feel superior to theists.

And that is all I will say. This thread is not worth my time. I said my piece, if all I'm gonna get is "Nuh Uh, you're stupid" then I'm not gonna bother. I've spent enough time in school, reading textbooks, and studying psychology to know that no amount of rational, well thought out arguments could possibly make you even stop for a fraction of a second to contemplate the implications of how wrong you are.

Have fun guys, I'm out.

but...but you can't leave.. I.. I was looking forward to this!

I need a good reason to invest time and money into worshipping deities. An old book isn't enough...

Kantor said:
The phrase "blind faith in science" makes no sense. Science is based upon rationality and experimentation. Everything is assumed false until there is evidence of it. And if more evidence proves a theory wrong, the theory is modified or replaced by a new theory. Science's willingness to change is its greatest strength.

On the other hand, religion is a fixed "truth" which was somewhat believable 2000 years ago, with the meagre science that we had, but which quite often contradicts actual scientific evidence (creationism contradicts evolution; the Bible has no dinosaurs; the world is 3 billion rather than 600 years old, and so on) which has been more recently discovered. You are putting your faith in somebody who claims to have seen god (who has of course done no such thing), who hasn't really done any research, and who, to be honest, probably hasn't even read the Bible in any detail, judging by what the majority of Christians seem to preach.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Practially everything in the universe that is attributed to a divine being can be explained in a far more realistic and plausible fashion by science, and that's with just our current crasp of science, which is continuing to grow while religion stays mired in obsolete information.