By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - VGC Atheists,Whats your reason?

Mr.Ashtear said:
snakenobi said:
Mr.Ashtear said:
Because I´m not afraid of death, finitism and randomness of the Universe. The need to sofocate those fears are the major reason for the creation of the concept of gods, imo.

so you think religious people are afraid of death?

Buddhism has no GOD's and atheism is about being pantheist which is the same as Buddhism

it is the same. A belief in and need for transcendence  as a psychological shield against the horror of the finite. 

no its not as you are still a part of whatever is there not looking for what outside it

calling urself atheist send out the wrong message and spreads ignorance

Around the Network
GameOver22 said:

The creation of the universe would still be considered supernatural. All theistic religions are going to attribute this act to God.Once the universe is created, God might not intervene because of the perfectness of the world, but it still requires the first supernatural act.

yeah but GOD is not supposed to be understood by man.

most people don't get this and think of GOD as a person

Once the universe is created, God might not intervene because of the perfectness of the world, but it still requires the first supernatural act.

Also, as you have defined it, someone could be both religious and an atheist at the same time. An atheist believes God does not exist. In the case of Buddhism (the non-theistic strains), there is no God, so someone could actually be Buddhist while not believing in God, hence, they would subscribe to both Buddhism and atheism.

i agree but thats pantheism not atheism

it send out the wrong message and spreads more ignorance in this world because people's lack of knowledge.

This is the reason why most people limit the discussion of religion v. atheism to theistic strains of religion. Without the question of God, there is not really much to debate.

yes but thats wrong and till the time anyone carries that kind of thinking it spreads more ignorance and more people don't get what relgion means

snakenobi said:
Runa216 said:
God is a metaphor, nothing more. I don't believe in anything that doesn't have substantial evidence supporting it. God, as a collective theory, is just too convenient to believe. I go with science. I don't fill in the blanks with fictional omnipotent beings just so I can feel good and trick myself into believing there's more than this life.

I hate religion because not only does it HAVE these irrational beliefs, but history is littered with examples of people pushing these irrational beliefs without good reason.

I maintain that if people could PROVE god was real, prove THEIR god was real, and prove their interpretations of their God are accurate, I'd drop the whole issue.

Buddhism doesn't have a god and most scientist are panthiest

panthiesm is what brings logic(science) and art of life(joy and pain) together

Most scientists consider themselves atheist or agnostic, you don't need to be a panthiest to experience the art of life :) Infact, you can even find that in science if you wanted to.

You obviously started this thread just to argue with people, it's funny since you imply atheists can't experience the joys in life, and you're the one being angry and argumentative. What the hell is your problem man? Can't you just live and let live? :)

snakenobi said:
zarx said:
snakenobi said:
zarx said:
snakenobi said:
zarx said:
Because I think society and the government impose more than enough rules and regulations, I see no need to seek out more.

thats what they want you to become weak and give up

all religons do not impose rules.

panthiesim is like athiesm but you don't feel weak

What? They who?

And I don't feel weak and I don't need to belong some religious group to make me feel better about myself, that is for weak people who can't stand on their own. Being an Athiest doesn't make you feel weak.

it will in the future

and panthiesm isn't about belonging to any group

I would still like you to explain this "thats what they want you to become weak and give up" who is "they"?

the same people you were talking about soceity,government and soceity's religious rules

And I don't see how not beleving in any spiritual or mystical beings or a inteligent creator of the universe and not assosiating myself with a religion will ever make me feel weak.

cause relgion and GOD aren't the same thing.

pantheism is what you mean,most scientist are pantheist

buddhism has no deities

it will make you weak as one day you will kinda feel the world doesn't make sense andyou live or die doesn't make sense

As for panthiesm it's just athiesim/humanisim with an element of nature worship, sorry I just don't see the point of worshiping nature.

when did pantheism become nature worship?

True it describes the most powerful and fundemental forces in the universe but worshiping it isn't going to change shit,

you don't worship anybody in pantheism

if you want to do something then go actually do something about it like volunteer to pick up trash or plant a tree.

yes i do what i want to do

My government doesn't want to make me weak and give up, quite the oposite in fact.

as for Pantheism 

"The basic concepts of Pantheism comprise:

Reverence for Nature and the wider Universe.

Active respect and care for the rights of all humans and other living beings.

Celebration or our lives in our bodies on this beautiful earth as a joy and a privilege.

Realism - acceptance that the external world exists independently of human consciousness or perception.

Strong naturalism, without belief in supernatural realms, afterlives, beings or forces.

Respect for reason, evidence and the scientific method as our best ways of understanding nature and the Universe.

Promotion of religious tolerance, freedom of religion and complete separation of state and religion."

Everything else is basically humanisim which is not a religion, hell Panthiesim is barely a religion it's self.

Religion defined for clarity as 

1. A set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

2. A specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.

And the world does make sense it's all cause and effect, it's not fair or ordered and full of things that we have no control of. That in no way makes me weak and I don't see how it would. And I especially don't see how identifying myself as a Panthiest would change that or make me weaker or stronger.

Only a weak person would feel then need for religion to feel strong.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

Around the Network
Andrespetmonkey said:
snakenobi said:
zarx said:
Because I think society and the government impose more than enough rules and regulations, I see no need to seek out more.

Why would you feel week in atheism? I don't believe in any god, how would that make me feel weak? xD 

cause one day or the other you will feel you living or dying doesn't mean anything and has no worth

example:in a war fighting against the enemy,if one guy has a strong weapon and you have a weaker weapon.you will consider defeat by either killing urslef or getting beaten by the enemy cause of the pure logical thinking(blind faith in current time-frame science) athiest's carry of powerful will destroy the weaker part.

thats where they forget things like willpower which can give you the extra power in creating moments of magic.(will power is unmeasurable as it depends on how a person handles it aka quantum mechanics,and people who have blind faith in science only have information of experiences up until that time which goes with scientific way of thinking of experiment and proof)

if you believe in things like willpower then you are a pantheist not an atheist

You know guys I've been an atheist even tough I believed in reincarnation. Until I got into quantum physics. So if you consider yourself an open minded but rational, left brained person take a look into it. Even mainstream science is starting to admit there is something behind everything holding it all together.

Here is a great video to start: What the bleep do we know
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSk51Lp-vHU

Andrespetmonkey said:
snakenobi said:
Runa216 said:
God is a metaphor, nothing more. I don't believe in anything that doesn't have substantial evidence supporting it. God, as a collective theory, is just too convenient to believe. I go with science. I don't fill in the blanks with fictional omnipotent beings just so I can feel good and trick myself into believing there's more than this life.

I hate religion because not only does it HAVE these irrational beliefs, but history is littered with examples of people pushing these irrational beliefs without good reason.

I maintain that if people could PROVE god was real, prove THEIR god was real, and prove their interpretations of their God are accurate, I'd drop the whole issue.

Buddhism doesn't have a god and most scientist are panthiest

panthiesm is what brings logic(science) and art of life(joy and pain) together

Most scientists consider themselves atheist or agnostic, you don't need to be a panthiest to experience the art of life :) Infact, you can even find that in science if you wanted to.

agnostic really means religion is work in progress

most scientist are pantheist,people use take term very lightly

snakenobi said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
snakenobi said:
zarx said:

Why would you feel week in atheism? I don't believe in any god, how would that make me feel weak? xD 

cause one day or the other you will feel you living or dying doesn't mean anything and has no worth

example:in a war fighting against the enemy,if one guy has a strong weapon and you have a weaker weapon.you will consider defeat by either killing urslef or getting beaten by the enemy cause of the pure logical thinking(blind faith in current time-frame science) athiest's carry of powerful will destroy the weaker part.

thats where they forget things like willpower which can give you the extra power in creating moments of magic.(will power is unmeasurable as it depends on how a person handles it aka quantum mechanics,and people who have blind faith in science only have information of experiences up until that time which goes with scientific way of thinking of experiment and proof)

if you believe in things like willpower then you are a pantheist not an atheist

Atheism means I don't believe in a god, that's it. I easily believe in will power and still be an athiest. Dude, stop making claims you can't back up or stating your opinion as fact.

I'm an atheist, and I don't think my life is worthless.

^^

World doesn't make sense and that makes you "weak"? It's very logical without any spiritual worship of any kind and our knowledge of the world keeps increasing every day. O_o

I kinda hate myself for typing anything on this thread, but your closemindedness kinda gets to me. If I've learned something it's that you should never argue with religious people cause the arguments never go anywhere.