By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - VGC Atheists,Whats your reason?

snakenobi said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
snakenobi said:
Runa216 said:
God is a metaphor, nothing more. I don't believe in anything that doesn't have substantial evidence supporting it. God, as a collective theory, is just too convenient to believe. I go with science. I don't fill in the blanks with fictional omnipotent beings just so I can feel good and trick myself into believing there's more than this life.

I hate religion because not only does it HAVE these irrational beliefs, but history is littered with examples of people pushing these irrational beliefs without good reason.

I maintain that if people could PROVE god was real, prove THEIR god was real, and prove their interpretations of their God are accurate, I'd drop the whole issue.

Buddhism doesn't have a god and most scientist are panthiest

panthiesm is what brings logic(science) and art of life(joy and pain) together

Most scientists consider themselves atheist or agnostic, you don't need to be a panthiest to experience the art of life :) Infact, you can even find that in science if you wanted to.

agnostic really means religion is work in progress

most scientist are pantheist,people use take term very lightly

What the hell are you talking about? Not at all.

Around the Network
snakenobi said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
snakenobi said:
zarx said:
Because I think society and the government impose more than enough rules and regulations, I see no need to seek out more.

thats what they want you to become weak and give up

all religons do not impose rules.

panthiesim is like athiesm but you don't feel weak

Why would you feel week in atheism? I don't believe in any god, how would that make me feel weak? xD 

cause one day or the other you will feel you living or dying doesn't mean anything and has no worth

example:in a war fighting against the enemy,if one guy has a strong weapon and you have a weaker weapon.you will consider defeat by either killing urslef or getting beaten by the enemy cause of the pure logical thinking(blind faith in current time-frame science) athiest's carry of powerful will destroy the weaker part.

thats where they forget things like willpower which can give you the extra power in creating moments of magic.(will power is unmeasurable as it depends on how a person handles it aka quantum mechanics,and people who have blind faith in science only have information of experiences up until that time which goes with scientific way of thinking of experiment and proof)

if you believe in things like willpower then you are a pantheist not an atheist

now you are just talking nonsense willpower is mesurable and is a real aspect of a person's personality and is in no way in conflict with athisim.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

I'm sorry snakenobi, but you're coming across as an arrogant self-righteous prick. So I'm going to stop talking to you.

snakenobi said:
Andrespetmonkey said:
snakenobi said:
zarx said:
Because I think society and the government impose more than enough rules and regulations, I see no need to seek out more.

thats what they want you to become weak and give up

all religons do not impose rules.

panthiesim is like athiesm but you don't feel weak

Why would you feel week in atheism? I don't believe in any god, how would that make me feel weak? xD 

cause one day or the other you will feel you living or dying doesn't mean anything and has no worth

example:in a war fighting against the enemy,if one guy has a strong weapon and you have a weaker weapon.you will consider defeat by either killing urslef or getting beaten by the enemy cause of the pure logical thinking(blind faith in current time-frame science) athiest's carry of powerful will destroy the weaker part.

thats where they forget things like willpower which can give you the extra power in creating moments of magic.(will power is unmeasurable as it depends on how a person handles it aka quantum mechanics,and people who have blind faith in science only have information of experiences up until that time which goes with scientific way of thinking of experiment and proof)

if you believe in things like willpower then you are a pantheist not an atheist

That analogue is flawed

You got willpower purely out of your survival instinct. On average humans prefer to go against the odds and die trying than just give up and shoot themselves. Even shooting yourself requires immense amount of willpower.

Snakenobi, your arguments are filled what are called logical fallacies...

Just to point out a few, straw man arguments:

when you are putting all atheists into 1 bandwagon pretending all agree with what you're arguing against. In this case you're forgetting that apart from 'i don't believe in the existence of a god' there's nothing else you can unite all atheists in.
As an example, the Buddhists you so much seem to praise ARE atheists too. I think this is enough to show how you're straw manning your 'opponent'.

Also we have appeal to authority:

When you're presenting the claim that most scientists agree with your view (specially without presenting any evidence of this claim just to make it worse). You're using the credibility that science has to try and justify your point, saying 'well... most scientists agree with me, so... you're clearly wrong'. Again this could be a more acceptable point if you actually presented some sort of proof for that claim, which you do not.

Ad hominem fallacy:

When you're presenting the argument that atheism is somewhat showing a weakness or be detrimental to the happiness of a person. The fact that a position can or will hurt a person, physically, psychologically or in any other form, has no bearing on weather that position is true or false. Again, all an atheist is defined by stands as 'I do not believe a god exists', so no matter how bad you think the person feels after professing this belief, it says nothing about the truth and justification to hold such belief.

I think these examples are enough for now, but I will finish off with an advice. Chose your battles well. From what I could see you really have no real disagreement with atheists in large. Probably you'll have more productive struggle if you'll actually engage some religious people who intend to impose their beliefs on the rest of society by the form of legislation.

1 last food for thought... do you think a person will live a more meaningful life if they believe this is the only change they get to enjoy it or if they think this is just the 'test run' before the 'real life' begins. Or that this is simply one of many tries we get since after we die we reincarnate again over and over again (buddhism)?

cheers and have fun

Around the Network

I don't believe in a god for the simple fact that there is no measurable evidence for his/her existence and I'm against the idea of organised religion in general. An organised religion suggests a set of defined beliefs that a significant group should all unquestioningly believe in. It typically leads to some form of hierachial organisation which in turn leads to people gaining control and influence over the masses via unproven and often illogical beliefs.

Spirituality should be completely individual and should be down to the individual to discover. Not forced upon you in a group or when you are a child.

As for this whole pantheism thing, I don't see your point. You can admire the natural world, see its beauty and be humbled by its awesome power, but why worship it like a deity? Why does an atheist need to call themselves a pantheist or vice versa? Why limit yourself to a set of ideals and philosophies set by others?

snakenobi said:
Porcupine_I said:
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours"

Stephen Roberts

i don't have any

panthiesm like reliogns(buddhism,taosim) have no GOD.

call it what you want

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

snakenobi said:
Kantor said:

Science is, indeed, about the chase of more knowledge, either until the end of humanity or until we discover everything (which will probably never happen).

which is wrong,scienc is supposed to be about helping humanity not chase of knowledge

that is what creates problem

people blind about science just go on chasing tech and people blind about GOD just go out chasing religion

I'm arguing primarily against the Abrahamic religions here, because together, their followers make up a good half of the world's population.But if you insist, I also don't believe in the idea that a monkey (Hanuman) killed a man with ten heads and set fire to his city as part of a grand plan hatched by a shapeshifting man who, at one point, became an elephant. And yes, I do realise that Hinduism is metaphorical. A literal interpretation of it is even more ridiculous than a literal interpretation of Christianity.

Why don't I believe in it? Because I don't want a god (no matter what his form) who doesn't necessarily exist to instruct me on the moral way to live my life. I would say setting fire to an entire city is pretty immoral, but the Ramayana seems fine with that.

so why not Buddhism,it has no GOD.

MOST ESTABLISHED scientist believe in pantheism which is Buddhism,sikhism,taoism,setc

Science is about the pursuit of knowledge. If that helps humanity, so be it.

Buddhism does indeed have no God, which makes it a lot more sensible than the large majority of religions, and I would not disrespect anyone who chooses to follow Buddhism.

I suppose the bit that gets me is the vegetarianism. I'd rather eat meat, then wait until I am reincarnated as a vegetarian animal, I suppose.

Also, I would love a link for that, because it seems far more logical that most scientists are either atheist/agnostic or Christian.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

People are awesome, crazy things. Life is exciting and at times unbelievable. You don't need a belief in any higher power or purpose to experience those things. I can't understand the claim that atheists should find life worthless, if anything atheists are the ones that should beyond all realise the brevity of life and as such try and experience it to the fullest.

Vashyo said:

I kinda hate myself for typing anything on this thread, but your closemindedness kinda gets to me. If I've learned something it's that you should never argue with religious people cause the arguments never go anywhere.

I was hoping I wouldn't have anything to do with this thread (considering it's obvious snake made this thread just to argue for the sake of argument), but I just wanted to say: You know that goes both ways, right?

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!