By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - VGC Atheists,Whats your reason?

I find the OP to be very insulting but will reply anyways. There is no objective reason to believe in god. Therefore I don't assent to the idea that there is a god. Similarly there is no objective evidence against the existence of a god or gods. So I don't assent to the view that there is absolutely without a doubt that there is a god. I identify as atheist though because the very concept of the traditional model of god is illogical (cut by Occam razor) but do not necessarily believe that we know everything there is to know about the nature of the universe and that some sort of consciousness hivemind might exist throughout the universe. I can't say that i think it's true, it's a neat theory and it might be a good thing if it were true, but I don't ascribe myself to views that cannot yet be proven.

Around the Network

I went to a Catholic Primary School, found they're teaching's wrong, then went to a non-religious secondary school and that opened my mind and made me much happier, I enjoy being an atheist, as it makes sense to me

setsunatenshi said:
Snakenobi, your arguments are filled what are called logical fallacies...

Just to point out a few, straw man arguments:

when you are putting all atheists into 1 bandwagon pretending all agree with what you're arguing against. In this case you're forgetting that apart from 'i don't believe in the existence of a god' there's nothing else you can unite all atheists in.
As an example, the Buddhists you so much seem to praise ARE atheists too. I think this is enough to show how you're straw manning your 'opponent'.

Also we have appeal to authority:

When you're presenting the claim that most scientists agree with your view (specially without presenting any evidence of this claim just to make it worse). You're using the credibility that science has to try and justify your point, saying 'well... most scientists agree with me, so... you're clearly wrong'. Again this could be a more acceptable point if you actually presented some sort of proof for that claim, which you do not.

Ad hominem fallacy:

When you're presenting the argument that atheism is somewhat showing a weakness or be detrimental to the happiness of a person. The fact that a position can or will hurt a person, physically, psychologically or in any other form, has no bearing on weather that position is true or false. Again, all an atheist is defined by stands as 'I do not believe a god exists', so no matter how bad you think the person feels after professing this belief, it says nothing about the truth and justification to hold such belief.

I think these examples are enough for now, but I will finish off with an advice. Chose your battles well. From what I could see you really have no real disagreement with atheists in large. Probably you'll have more productive struggle if you'll actually engage some religious people who intend to impose their beliefs on the rest of society by the form of legislation.

1 last food for thought... do you think a person will live a more meaningful life if they believe this is the only change they get to enjoy it or if they think this is just the 'test run' before the 'real life' begins. Or that this is simply one of many tries we get since after we die we reincarnate again over and over again (buddhism)?

cheers and have fun

THIS, THIS, THIS AND THIS.

After reading through the thread more carefully and seeing the way OP behaves - People like you are the reason why I hate religion.

Disconnect and self destruct, one bullet a time.

I see we are back on this religious crap again.

Wii U Nintendo Network ID, Borode

XBOX Live ID, Borode

Around the Network
sapphi_snake said:
huaxiong90 said:
Vashyo said:

I kinda hate myself for typing anything on this thread, but your closemindedness kinda gets to me. If I've learned something it's that you should never argue with religious people cause the arguments never go anywhere.

I was hoping I wouldn't have anything to do with this thread (considering it's obvious snake made this thread just to argue for the sake of argument), but I just wanted to say: You know that goes both ways, right?

The reason why that is is different depending on which of the sides you're arguing with.

Maybe, but eh...personally I've learned not to argue about religion OR irreligion with most people.

Despite what some may think, neither side is any better than the other, and I don't mean that in a good way.

Rockstar: Announce Bully 2 already and make gamers proud!

Kojima: Come out with Project S already!

"So are you just ignorant or hate religions(if then where doesn't that hate come from?"

I'm sorry, but what the hell is that? Is there no concieveable reason beyond those two to remain an atheist?
You can't expect anyone to debate seriously when you started off like that.

snakenobi said:
Mr.Ashtear said:
snakenobi said:
Mr.Ashtear said:
Because I´m not afraid of death, finitism and randomness of the Universe. The need to sofocate those fears are the major reason for the creation of the concept of gods, imo.

so you think religious people are afraid of death?

Buddhism has no GOD's and atheism is about being pantheist which is the same as Buddhism

it is the same. A belief in and need for transcendence  as a psychological shield against the horror of the finite. 

no its not as you are still a part of whatever is there not looking for what outside it

calling urself atheist send out the wrong message and spreads ignorance

You're the one who doesn't understand what atheist means. Look it up before you start a thread about it.

a·the·ist  (th-st)
n.
One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods.

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities.[1] In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities.[2] Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.[3] Atheism is contrasted with theism,[4][5] which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists

It's not that there's a reason to disbelieve in god, but that there's no reason to believe in god.

Modern Western logic began with Descartes and skepticism. Skepticism has been at the root of our knowledge gaining process ever since then.

Think of the following things:

Scientific method.
Presumed innocent until PROVEN guilty.
Statistic (Null/Alternative hypothesis).
Occam's Razor

The consensus we've had over the past 200 years is that we believe in things, until they are proven. If they aren't we either don't believe in anything, or assume the most simple possibility.

Atheism isn't a BELIEF. It is a LACK of belief.

This thread killed so many of my brain cells.

And I have an exam about analysis in multiple variables in two days.

Thanks a lot OP.

I LOVE ICELAND!