By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - VGC Atheists,Whats your reason?

RolStoppable said:
snakenobi said:
RolStoppable said:
It saves me money.

from what?

Catholism = yearly tax. No catholism = no tax.

so you think relgion = christianity?

Around the Network
Kantor said:

Global warming isn't fear or panic. It's legitimate worry about a real (though overblown) problem.

yeah i'm talking about the overblown part

as years go on,our technology will itself take care of it.

Science is, indeed, about the chase of more knowledge, either until the end of humanity or until we discover everything (which will probably never happen).

which is wrong,scienc is supposed to be about helping humanity not chase of knowledge

that is what creates problem

people blind about science just go on chasing tech and people blind about GOD just go out chasing religion

I'm arguing primarily against the Abrahamic religions here, because together, their followers make up a good half of the world's population.But if you insist, I also don't believe in the idea that a monkey (Hanuman) killed a man with ten heads and set fire to his city as part of a grand plan hatched by a shapeshifting man who, at one point, became an elephant. And yes, I do realise that Hinduism is metaphorical. A literal interpretation of it is even more ridiculous than a literal interpretation of Christianity.

Why don't I believe in it? Because I don't want a god (no matter what his form) who doesn't necessarily exist to instruct me on the moral way to live my life. I would say setting fire to an entire city is pretty immoral, but the Ramayana seems fine with that.

so why not Buddhism,it has no GOD.

MOST ESTABLISHED scientist believe in pantheism which is Buddhism,sikhism,taoism,setc

forest-spirit said:
I need a good reason to invest time and money into worshipping deities. An old book isn't enough...

did you even read the OP?

panthiesm and religions like buddhism aren't about deities

they are the same as the scientific knowledge

curl-6 said:
Kantor said:
The phrase "blind faith in science" makes no sense. Science is based upon rationality and experimentation. Everything is assumed false until there is evidence of it. And if more evidence proves a theory wrong, the theory is modified or replaced by a new theory. Science's willingness to change is its greatest strength.

On the other hand, religion is a fixed "truth" which was somewhat believable 2000 years ago, with the meagre science that we had, but which quite often contradicts actual scientific evidence (creationism contradicts evolution; the Bible has no dinosaurs; the world is 3 billion rather than 600 years old, and so on) which has been more recently discovered. You are putting your faith in somebody who claims to have seen god (who has of course done no such thing), who hasn't really done any research, and who, to be honest, probably hasn't even read the Bible in any detail, judging by what the majority of Christians seem to preach.

I would gladly put my "faith" in the consensus of research scientists who analyze and question everything, but not in a pastor or imam or what have you who tells me that I am going to hell for believing in evolution or some such thing.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Practially everything in the universe that is attributed to a divine being can be explained in a far more realistic and plausible fashion by science, and that's with just our current crasp of science, which is continuing to grow while religion stays mired in obsolete information.

and which religion are you talking about here?

Runa216 said:
ooooh Snakenobi...I just...I don't think I'm capable of proclaiming your ignorance without being reported six ways from sunday. So I'll leave it at this: You are ignorant. your logic fails on every level. You're a primary example of WHY atheists feel superior to theists.

And that is all I will say. This thread is not worth my time. I said my piece, if all I'm gonna get is "Nuh Uh, you're stupid" then I'm not gonna bother. I've spent enough time in school, reading textbooks, and studying psychology to know that no amount of rational, well thought out arguments could possibly make you even stop for a fraction of a second to contemplate the implications of how wrong you are.

Have fun guys, I'm out.

atheist feeling superior is the most ignorant way of thinking which promotes atheism and you still think all religions are about the same thing.say that to the same scientist you believe in who are pantheist

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
snakenobi said:
RolStoppable said:

Catholism = yearly tax. No catholism = no tax.

so you think relgion = christianity?

No.

It's just that this is the religion my parents picked for me when I was born and since I saw no benefits in it, I got out of it. I don't need anyone telling me in what I should believe and I certainly don't want to pay for it.

so you fell into the trap that children are born with religion of their parents.i know that thinking,most people have it

anyways,pantheism and Buddhism isn't about somebody telling you about what is correct or not,it is about you deciding.

pezus said:

What has the chase of knowledge made possible for us so far? With more knowledge, we can better help humanity.

i'm not against it,jst being against workaholic behaviour and economic slavery that it brings.

it should be done in moderation

its like if you are a scientist  and you have a dying son and you keep chasing a solution and you don't cherish the time left and then you find the solution but your son dies,what good is it for?

people trying to do what will naturally come in time in the future in current time frame is not the way to live

Do you know how medical sciences were a few hundred years ago compared to today? Why is that? 

and they will be better a few hundred years from now too

sure

Because I think society and the government impose more than enough rules and regulations, I see no need to seek out more.

@TheVoxelman on twitter

Check out my hype threads: Cyberpunk, and The Witcher 3!

snakenobi said:
forest-spirit said:
I need a good reason to invest time and money into worshipping deities. An old book isn't enough...

did you even read the OP?

panthiesm and religions like buddhism aren't about deities

they are the same as the scientific knowledge

I'm more or less fine with the different schools of Buddhism. Now, I'm no expert on Buddhism but I get the impression that it's more about finding inner harmony, showing respect to life and searching for wisdom. I enjoy listening to Dalai Lama and while I don't look at him as my spiritual leader or something like that I do consider him a man of wisdom. He doesn't seem to be on a mission to oppress, convert or censor either, which is nice.

While I do like many of the ideas of Buddhism I still don't see the point of calling myself a buddhist, and I like the freedom of not belonging to any religious camp.

There is no real evidence of anything supernatural having ever happened. Therefore I don't believe in anything supernatural, which makes me an atheist.