By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No mgs4 for xbox360

Metal Gear Solid 4 Guns of the Patriots is NOT coming to the 360 but Metal Gear Solid 360 probably is? i.e. a different title for the same game/slightly amended game so as to get around any contract with Sony that ensures exclusivity for this title?

Systems Owned - High end PC, Nintendo DS, X-Box 360 and PS3 

PSN and 360 ID's - Tommo1975

Around the Network

It can go wherever they want, even to mobile... i don't care where it will go, how much profit it will generate... as long as i'll get to play it on my PS3 i'm fine.

Bladeneo said:
RSEagle said:
It doesn't really matter, if they don't make it multiplatform they won't make a profit on it. And yeah, the Xbox article seemed more convincing in terms of an actual source.
Doubt it; Konami said they need a million to break even if i remember correctly. If Resistance has pushed two million, theres no way MGS isnt gonna do that or more.

Bundling will sell tons of the game, although I think Uncharted should be bundled first

kber81 said:
naznatips said:

Trusting publishers when they claim a game is exclusive in the past has not exactly yielded the best results...

Fair enough. It's like trusting Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo regards no price cut statements. It's all about the money. Even if Konami is working on MGS4 for X360 right now they won't confirm it. This alone is enough. They want to wring out as many cash from PS3 as possible. More PS3 bundles Sony sell more happy Konami will be. Obviously they have some agreement.

Any rumour about MGS4 is meaningless because one year is more than enough to secure PS3 position.

BTW anyone excited about Lost Planet port?

No, but that is different because that was an average game to begin with, and was not a system seller at all.

I don't think there is any point in adressing these rumours, as they are never going to stop until about a year after release. Nobody is going to trust the dev or publisher, because they are probably under contract to deny any rumours about the non-exclusivity of this game until a certain period after launch, but if M$ were to announce it, I would expect an announcement at TGS

I say at least a 13.27 million PS3 user base by release. I'm pretty sure 7% of that (1mil) will buy the game.

Around the Network
Munkeh111 said:
kber81 said:

BTW anyone excited about Lost Planet port?

No, but that is different because that was an average game to begin with, and was not a system seller at all.

Obviously I don't compare this game to MGS. I'd like to point meaning of the hype. Capcom went really aggressive with this game. 1,36 million as for the new ip is pretty impressive. I doubt PS3 port of this game will sell 200k in US. Games need hype.

Sony and Konami will go with everything they have this June. The sales will follow. One year later we would have just a silent start of X360 version. It would sell good but nowhere close to PS3's version.

jhlennon1 said:

The only problem for Konami is that Japan are not going to buy a 360 version, ever. Europe will buy the PS3 version of the game and that is MGS series strongest region. That just leaves the US, how much do you expect a 360 version to sell in the US 12-15mths after the PS3 version has been available?

Konami have made their bed with MGS4 already. A 360 port will not help them that much unless it is released with the PS3 version or not long after but definitely in 2008. Fall 09 MGS4 for 360 will do nothing for Konami and just be consilation for 360 fans.

Final Fantasy XIII is a similar situation. These games are VERY front loaded, year timed-exclusive is just too much and a 360 version of either will not recover costs. Either Konami/S-E make profit on the PS3 versions of the game or they won't be making profit. It's simple as that. Remember too that Sony have strong relationship with Komani/Square Enix and they are the closest 3rd parties to Sony. Sony and Capcom are not that close and Resident Evil jumping to Gamecube following with Mikami insulting the PS2 and Sony didn't help much either.

X360 has in America alone a userbase bigger than the PS3 worldwide. So yes, a X360-version of the game could make relevant sales on the X360 as well. The later release will be much more of a problem, as you explained. So if Konami will make a X360-version we will know few month after the PS3-release.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

DMeisterJ said:
Killy_Blame said:
Bladeneo said:
RSEagle said:
It doesn't really matter, if they don't make it multiplatform they won't make a profit on it. And yeah, the Xbox article seemed more convincing in terms of an actual source.
Doubt it; Konami said they need a million to break even if i remember correctly. If Resistance has pushed two million, theres no way MGS isnt gonna do that or more.

Nope, they actually said they needed to sell a million ON THE FIRST DAY OF RELEASE to have hopes of eventually breaking even. No one really knows what Konami must be projecting beyond that. We have no idea if that was supposed to imply the combined first day of release in all territories or what, but a million on day one, off a system with an install base in the 10 million range (no one's sure of course when it will arrive) is no small feat by any stretch of the imagination. The comment that person made was actually supposed to highlight exactly how tough a challenge it would be, and lent some credence to the idea of a port for financial reasons.

Yeah, cuz Halo 3 only sold four million week one with an install base of 11.9 million, which the PS3 could very well be at if the June 17 date is for real.

I think that it will definetly do a mil day one with a eleven to twelve million install base when Halo did 2.5 day one with the same install base. But I'm maxing out for two million for first week sales.

Linky

Halo 3 is a different kettle of fish. Halo 2 sold in excess of 8 million units on an install base of just ~24 million; a Nintendo-esque attatch rate of 0.33. MGS3 sold around 7 million copies off an install base of 120 million (smaller at the time to be fair), but we are genuinely talking about an attatch rate in the range of 0.1 to 0.14 - far far smaller. MGS3 was significantly worse because it only hit 3 million off at least 100 million install base (0.033 range). Now things don't translate exactly to this gen because the hardcore make up a larger fraction of PS3 than they did PS2, and hardcore have a greater affinity for MGS than the general PS2 public, but the kind of fan-love MGS experiences is clearly FAR smaller than the fan love for Halo, and as such making up the numbers may be very difficult. 

Like I said, it also depends what Konami meant by 'day one' because Halo launched in the US where the bulk of it's sales are made, while launch specifics of MGS4 are undetermined. If they meant, say 1 million on day one in a Japan-first launch, then clearly this is an impossiblity. If it was a US launch, then maaaaybbbeee, but probably impossible. If they meant everywhere, then it's achievable, but like I said, very difficult. Also note Konami would never launch Europe first despite Europe's affinity for PS and MGS. Everyone hates us.

Formerly Bugmenot, (mostly) I'm now reformed and adopting a more concrete persona upon ioi's request.

I'm not new here and had 147 posts to my (our) name - not that anyone noticed.

halil23 said:
naznatips said:
Dolla Dolla said:
Who to believe? Konami or everyone else?

Hard decision!

To be fair Dolla...

Trusting publishers when they claim a game is exclusive in the past has not exactly yielded the best results...

Well Capcom wasn't impress with the sals on the gamecube, so they port it to ps2 with better sales, then to the wii which did better than the gamecube. So what I'm saying is, if the sales were much better than what it did(maybe 4mil) then Capcom wouldn't bother with the port on the ps2 and still make a wii port, since downgrading is hard work and cost alot. But I'm glad Capcom port it ps2 as I had a blast with that AMAZING gem, even beat it on professional :)

On topic, I'm really sick of this everyday rumor of MGS4. Xbox fanboys are really sad, it just a waste of time seriously and who's forcing you to sick with one (xbox) console!!!

Actually, after waiting, what, 3 years for the game, Capcom announced a PS2 port a mere 3 months BEFORE its release. Had they not announced it until after release, which sabbotaged their own game launch, I'm sure GC sales would have been higher. Because PS2 gamers had to wait an appaling 6 months (note - sarcasm) they got extra missions and an extra character. Of course it ended up selling 2X as well on a system with 6X the install base.

-Bastards

Formerly Bugmenot, (mostly) I'm now reformed and adopting a more concrete persona upon ioi's request.

I'm not new here and had 147 posts to my (our) name - not that anyone noticed.

If there is a 360 port for MGS4, there is no way that Konami would confirm it before the launch of the PS3 game. It would hurt the sales of the game. So, no matter what rumor you hear, just expect that if Konami is asked, they are going to say "No". It just makes bad business sense for them to do otherwise even if they do not have a financial agreement with Sony.

Thank god for the disable signatures option.