By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - No mgs4 for xbox360

(MGS4 sings) Look at all these rumors, surrounding me every day. I just need some time, some time to get away from.. From all these rumors, I can’t take it no more. My best friend said there’s one out now about me and the girl next door

Around the Network
Profcrab said:
If there is a 360 port for MGS4, there is no way that Konami would confirm it before the launch of the PS3 game. It would hurt the sales of the game. So, no matter what rumor you hear, just expect that if Konami is asked, they are going to say "No". It just makes bad business sense for them to do otherwise even if they do not have a financial agreement with Sony.

And yet Capcom, a company revered as being one of the smartest and most talented in the industry with a pedigree that mirror's Konami did EXACTLY this as we detailed above.

Formerly Bugmenot, (mostly) I'm now reformed and adopting a more concrete persona upon ioi's request.

I'm not new here and had 147 posts to my (our) name - not that anyone noticed.

Capcom has simply accepted a realistic approach to selling games profitably. Capcom was losing money badly in 2002. If system exclusive releases aren't doing enough to boost the bottom line, it's common sense to publish on as many platforms your games will be viable on as possible.

As a publisher with a longstanding reputation for catering to hardcore gamers, it's only natural that many of their R&D staff are hardcore gamers themselves with their own personal company and hardware preferences, but ultimately corporate, not R&D makes the decisions and deals when it comes to marketing and publishing.

Hence the decision to publish RE4 on the PS2 in direct contrast to what the head developer stated. Mikami allegedly said something along the lines of I will cut off my own head if RE4 came to the Playstation 2.

The main thing that makes me question whether a port in in the works is that there hasn't been a legitimate "leak" from MS or Konami. Naturally it would be in Konami's best interests to keep it under wraps to prevent any reduction in sales for the PS3 debut. But for MS, it would be in their best interest to imply, unofficially or "accidentally" leak confirmation of a 360 port prior to release to reduce the PS3 hardware sales that are guaranteed to accompany its debut.

Timing is more important than whether the game will actually see the light of day on the 360. Six months exclusivity would not be enough time to push most gamers buy a PS3. If it was in the range of a year or more, (including the holiday 2008 season) significantly more would be likely to buy a PS3 to play the game.

The "million on day one projection" was for a planned simultaneous global release.

Hm, well it hasn't been aanounced yet, but I still think Capcom'll release it eventually on the Xbox 360. Why shouldn't they? Look at the install base on the PS3. Now look at the Xbox 360's. Now stop and think just HOW MUCH it has cost them to create this game, which, judging from previews, is not going to be anywhere near as good as people were hoping.. Capcom'll never ever even break even with sales of the PS3 alone. It's just simple economics. They are a company after all, out there to make money, not cater to the whims of narrow-minded fanboys.

2008 Predictions:

Wii: 44 Million
Xbox360: 25 Million
PS3: 22 Million

DS: 90 Million
PSP: 37 Million