By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs to buy/start a RPG studio

Well, RPGs are very costly to develop, because people expect them to offer a lot of content and/or a freely explorable world.
And because they have so much content even the core fans of the genre don't have time to play many different RPGs. In my opinion that may be the reason why many fans seem to only follow one Ip or only RPGs from one developing house (while despising the others) .
There are many different forms of "RPG"s these days and the market for them is highly fragmented as a result, as it seems to be normal to be a fan of a distinct form, like turn based japanese rpgs, while having no interest whatsover in others.

Around the Network
Xxain said:
darthdevidem01 said:
xwan said:
I think if they concentrate their resources get a good story write, bring back some classic RPG combat, and start legend of dragoon from scratch has potential to be the next dragon quest or final fantasy franchise. Too bad Xenogears developers never made a good game after Xenogears, Xenosagas were not as good, and now they belong to N.

Xenoblade disagrees.

On Topic:

Yes they do need to do something on that front.

I'm glad this isn't another thread about why sony should want to buy the overrated Level-5

JRPG devs SONY should buy are Atlus or Tri-Ace.

If those buyings aren't possible who made Wild Arms, TLOD etc? If they are still employed at Sony get them to make a new RPG.

Thank God there is somebody else here who isnt blinded by L5... they are SOOOO overated... I cant Stand them. Intill they shake the "L5 Curse" being compared to SE constantly is just a insult to SE.

Yeah I toally agree but the overrating gets even worse!

Some people on this site think Level 5 is like what SQUARESOFT was back in the day....I almost had a brain implosion when I read that a few months ago!

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Lafiel said:

Well, RPGs are very costly to develop, because people expect them to offer a lot of content and/or a freely explorable world.
And because they have so much content even the core fans of the genre don't have time to play many different RPGs. In my opinion that may be the reason why many fans seem to only follow one Ip or only RPGs from one developing house (while despising the others) .
There are many different forms of "RPG"s these days and the market for them is highly fragmented as a result, as it seems to be normal to be a fan of a distinct form, like turn based japanese rpgs, while having no interest whatsover in others.

I think it has more to do with ppl not being familiar on the genre as a whole.. FF is the only really big WW penetrator. outside of SE, JRPG's get second rate budget's and marketing and smaller JRPG developers like Gust and imageepoch just dont have abilty to to. CAPCOM, NAMCO BANDAI, KONANI ect all JRPG's but they dont get same type of push as established money makers.. so It buts JRPG's in a situation where they cant grow or gain awareness( which xxplains why some JRPG fans may play FF but never heard of Grandia) because they really arnt gettin the opportunity to. TALES, GRANDIA, ALTELIER ext could be popular if they had the same budget opportunity. intill more bigger publishers outside of SE start pushing for growth the genre is just gonna remain stagnan.

once SE are done with killing themselves

SONY shud pick them up and launch PS4 with FF7 remake

So many posts in this thread, and nobody has even suggested From Software

It may be a bit late for that, though, with their multiplat game coming this year.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

I'd say buy Atlus, they have Persona, which is a pretty popular series and has a fanbase already on Playstation, and if they really want JRPGs, buy Nippon Ichi too, although they'll cater to a much smaller fanbase

Not sure if a JRPG is worth the trouble for Sony. Other than Final Fantasy most JRPGs don't sell that well and it's a pretty big risk considerring the amount of resources and budget Sony first-party titles have. I think that's why they've stuck to second-party titles for the genre and considerring the poor sales relative to other Sony titles, I'm pretty sure Sony won't be looking for a JRPG studio anytime soon. Having said that, it might be a good idea to bring someone on board for a JRPG on Vita. Handhelds are probably the way to go.

As for WRPGs, that'd be difficult because it's already fairly competitive. I see less risk in making a WRPG than a JRPG though. Also, I think the head on Dragon Age Origins left Bioware when they were making DA2 so the talent is out there to make a top studio. Mass Effect, Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Dragon Age though are all fairly competitive IPs so it'd be a difficult genre to enter.

Definitely, but I feel Naughty Dog could make a fantastic RPG... Imagine a game like Jak 3, with open world and RPG leveling up stuff, it would be awesome, as I don't feel that they are going to keep Uncharted going forever

But definitely, more RPG studios from Sony, but the more games the better whatever genre they are

Atlus should absolutely stay INDEPENDENT. So should NIS. Sony buys them, and it's bye bye to many of their creative freedoms and localization efforts. Sony buying them would be a grim day, for me at least.

Instead of buying shit up, they should open up their own new studio, like they did with TLoD back in the day. It's frankly their best RPG, far exceeding Alundra, Dark Cloud, and so on. The success could be repeated if Sony decides to invest in that.

Nomura should left fukkin Square and start his own company under Sony!!!