By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs to buy/start a RPG studio

PS3 has a pretty good balance of profolio of games from Action Adventure (Uncharted), FPS (Killzone,MAG,numerous 3rd party), TPS (Uncharted, Starhawk), Vehicle Combat (TM), even the least popular platformers (LPB and Ratchet, and upcoming Sly), open world (Infamous), Sports (San Diego studio), MMO (SOE), PSN games (Japan Studio, SOE) and Racing (GT5). 

Only thing they are missing is JRPG and WRPG to expand their profolio to completeness!!

Any idea how they should achieve this?

Level 5 is  now getting so big and successful and enjoys their independence, i think SCE is probably better off starting several studios in Japan and the West for JRPG and WRPG development. WKC was their first foray to test the water for JRPG, too bad it didn't do as well as they hope; Demon's Soul was their foray into Western RPG and that didn't do so well in their eyes...end up not publishing it here themsevles.

Around the Network

absolutely... Media Vision( Wild Arms) would be great a great choice. give a betrer budget and have them make a new IP

SONY Japan should get off there ass

bring back Alundra,Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Dark Cloud ( New developer )

I think if they concentrate their resources get a good story write, bring back some classic RPG combat, and start legend of dragoon from scratch has potential to be the next dragon quest or final fantasy franchise. Too bad Xenogears developers never made a good game after Xenogears, Xenosagas were not as good, and now they belong to N.

totally agree, it's that one area they need to fill...and make it a big enough studio so they can make games for both ps home and portable consoles.

I also would love to see someone like Santa Monica take on RPG's :D would be quite interesting

In-Kat-We-Trust Brigade!

"This world is Merciless, and it's also very beautiful"

For All News/Info related to the PlayStation Vita, Come and join us in the Official PSV Thread!

I dont know Why SONY never continued LoD, Yea... it was no Final Fantasy but for a Non Final Fantasy it sold great.

I think I would rather see a brand new JRPG IP from SONY.. though I wouldn't mind those mentioned above returning.

Around the Network
xwan said:
I think if they concentrate their resources get a good story write, bring back some classic RPG combat, and start legend of dragoon from scratch has potential to be the next dragon quest or final fantasy franchise. Too bad Xenogears developers never made a good game after Xenogears, Xenosagas were not as good, and now they belong to N.

Xenoblade disagrees.

On Topic:

Yes they do need to do something on that front.

I'm glad this isn't another thread about why sony should want to buy the overrated Level-5

JRPG devs SONY should buy are Atlus or Tri-Ace.

If those buyings aren't possible who made Wild Arms, TLOD etc? If they are still employed at Sony get them to make a new RPG.

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

darthdevidem01 said:
xwan said:

Xenoblade disagrees.

On Topic:

Yes they do need to do something on that front.

I'm glad this isn't another thread about why sony should want to buy the overrated Level-5

JRPG devs SONY should buy are Atlus or Tri-Ace.

If those buyings aren't possible who made Wild Arms, TLOD etc? If they are still employed at Sony get them to make a new RPG.

Thank God there is somebody else here who isnt blinded by L5... they are SOOOO overated... I cant Stand them. Intill they shake the "L5 Curse" being compared to SE constantly is just a insult to SE.

Yea i think sony and microsoft need to buy some rpg studios. nintendo just needs to release their rpgs worldwide lol.

It would rather be a waste of money business wise..and they have J-studios but what are they doing??

They should buy Tetsuya Normura. Yes, by buying I mean enslaving.