By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs to buy/start a RPG studio

Blood_Tears said:
I vote for MistWalker, and for anyone who says not possible, if there is anything this Gen had taught me is never say never...

That would be a smart move.

Around the Network

i thought miswalker is funded by msft

xwan said:
i thought miswalker is funded by msft

Not anymore it seems.

Michael-5 said:

I agree. PS1 and PS2 were such great systems to me because of so many great JRPG's. Many niche, some big. This generation, I find 360 getting more of the good JRPG exclusives. Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean, etc all would have been PS3 exclusives if Sony had as large of a share of Square Enix as they used to. Of course Square Enix isn't everything, but it seems to me like a lot of the games that made PS1 and PS2 what they are have been moved. This includes Wii gems like XenoBlade and Dragon Quest X, If Sony had a biiger share of SE.

For reference, I belive Sony had 40% share of Square Enix in the past, and now it's below 20%. Sony never owned Square Enix, but they owned enough to assure most exclusives came to their consoles. That's why Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on GCN was a big deal.

So I think Sony should start buying shares. It's expensive, but without SE publishing a boatload of exclusives for Sony, I just can't look at the Playstation brand as it once was. Making a new studio is great too, but Sony can't let MS publish all these JRPG franchises. They gotta put more money into this.

Same with Nintendo, MS is the only developer who will really support their JRPG developers (at least they used to). Sony and Nintendo need to get back on the ball, or else JRPG's in the west will be limited to the blockbuster titles in Japan, and that's just not fair.

Sony has about 8 % of the SE shares, and those shares don't have any voting rights. It was bought purely to give Squaresoft some fresh finances after the FF movie flop. I guess it's only good for a dividend at this moment.

By the way, does Mistwalker hold any grudge against Sony? They seem to avoid Sony platforms at all costs.

Zuhyc said:
Michael-5 said:

I agree. PS1 and PS2 were such great systems to me because of so many great JRPG's. Many niche, some big. This generation, I find 360 getting more of the good JRPG exclusives. Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean, etc all would have been PS3 exclusives if Sony had as large of a share of Square Enix as they used to. Of course Square Enix isn't everything, but it seems to me like a lot of the games that made PS1 and PS2 what they are have been moved. This includes Wii gems like XenoBlade and Dragon Quest X, If Sony had a biiger share of SE.

For reference, I belive Sony had 40% share of Square Enix in the past, and now it's below 20%. Sony never owned Square Enix, but they owned enough to assure most exclusives came to their consoles. That's why Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on GCN was a big deal.

So I think Sony should start buying shares. It's expensive, but without SE publishing a boatload of exclusives for Sony, I just can't look at the Playstation brand as it once was. Making a new studio is great too, but Sony can't let MS publish all these JRPG franchises. They gotta put more money into this.

Same with Nintendo, MS is the only developer who will really support their JRPG developers (at least they used to). Sony and Nintendo need to get back on the ball, or else JRPG's in the west will be limited to the blockbuster titles in Japan, and that's just not fair.

Sony has about 8 % of the SE shares, and those shares don't have any voting rights. It was bought purely to give Squaresoft some fresh finances after the FF movie flop. I guess it's only good for a dividend at this moment.

By the way, does Mistwalker hold any grudge against Sony? They seem to avoid Sony platforms at all costs.

The only comment or quote that Sakaguchi gave regarding Sony or PS3 was in 2007 when he stated that he doesn't like the architecture and that it is to difficult to use. Mistwalker is a very small team as well, it would be hard for them to make a big budget PS3 game on there own.

Around the Network

Wow, Evolution studio that makes Motorstorm almost got shut down! I hope the PSV and PS3 version will be a great success for them after their last game failed them. They need to diversify their games like Media Molecule is planning to, so that way they are not too reliant on just one IP.

Another studio worries me is Zipper Interactive.....i hope they will find their ways.

Other than that, i still think Sony needs to have a WRPG and a JRPG studio. Dark Soul developers are doing a nice job recently.

I cant wait for ni no kuni been really excited about it.

The sales for Ni No Kuni surprised me...it did crappier in Japan than I imagine. I hope it does better in the US

The Japanese reviews on ni no kuni shows good numbers so hoping its good. Its like a next gen pokemon. Becides that sucker punch has nothing announced. Maybe get excited by a new IP since they are not making the new sly.