By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Sony needs to buy/start a RPG studio

RPGs should definitely be first party... why? because they cost a lot, take long dev time (sustainable budget) and are niche, all this while they don't sell tons... hence why it should be a bonus to attract players to the console... this gen's RPG probably got plaged with undeciciveness in this area.

So yeah Sony should definitely buy an RPG studio... but then again so should the others.

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

Around the Network

We go the SONY blog and start a group and try to convince to do more JRPG's and revive there Own

Considering Sony business model for consoles relies more on SW than HW profits, if they keep dev costs under control it could be a sensible move. A great wave of releases recently pushed PS3 to the top for months, and months before it also made the effects of the price cut and Slim release last longer than for any other competitor: as long as they are good, there's no such thing as too many games.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I guess our question was answer, it's INVIZIMAL developer Novarama haha

If Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo is smart, they would be looking at Take 2 who is rumored to be gathering some interest lately. I think they would go for about 2.5 bil, and for that price you'd get the following IPs exclusively:

- Grand Theft Auto
- Red Dead Redemption
- LA Noire
- Max Payne
- Civilization
- Bioshock
- Mafia
- Borderlands
- The Darkness
- Carnival Games
- XCom
- Duke Nukem Forever
- Pirates
- NBA 2K
- NFL 2K

Honestly I'm surprised only EA has tried to buy them out.

And probably more that I'm missing. Honestly I'm surprised only EA tried to buy them out.

Around the Network

I agree. PS1 and PS2 were such great systems to me because of so many great JRPG's. Many niche, some big. This generation, I find 360 getting more of the good JRPG exclusives. Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Star Ocean, etc all would have been PS3 exclusives if Sony had as large of a share of Square Enix as they used to. Of course Square Enix isn't everything, but it seems to me like a lot of the games that made PS1 and PS2 what they are have been moved. This includes Wii gems like XenoBlade and Dragon Quest X, If Sony had a biiger share of SE.

For reference, I belive Sony had 40% share of Square Enix in the past, and now it's below 20%. Sony never owned Square Enix, but they owned enough to assure most exclusives came to their consoles. That's why Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on GCN was a big deal.

So I think Sony should start buying shares. It's expensive, but without SE publishing a boatload of exclusives for Sony, I just can't look at the Playstation brand as it once was. Making a new studio is great too, but Sony can't let MS publish all these JRPG franchises. They gotta put more money into this.

Same with Nintendo, MS is the only developer who will really support their JRPG developers (at least they used to). Sony and Nintendo need to get back on the ball, or else JRPG's in the west will be limited to the blockbuster titles in Japan, and that's just not fair.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Yeah Im surprised that WKC is the only JRPG franchise that Sony owns this gen...an LOD remake would be epic

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

ElGranCabeza said:
If Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo is smart, they would be looking at Take 2 who is rumored to be gathering some interest lately. I think they would go for about 2.5 bil, and for that price you'd get the following IPs exclusively:

- Grand Theft Auto
- Red Dead Redemption
- LA Noire
- Max Payne
- Civilization
- Bioshock
- Mafia
- Borderlands
- The Darkness
- Carnival Games
- XCom
- Duke Nukem Forever
- Pirates
- NBA 2K
- NFL 2K

And probably more that I'm missing. Honestly I'm surprised only EA tried to buy them out.

I don't think any of the big 3 would want to spend 2.5 billion dollars on acquiring a developer. The price is just too steep.

The 3 FF's we got when Sony was publishing Squaresoft games were golden. I still hope Sony will one day own SE so the gimped SE games for multi-platform bullshit stops.

IamAwsome said:
ElGranCabeza said:

- Grand Theft Auto
- Red Dead Redemption
- LA Noire
- Max Payne
- Civilization
- Bioshock
- Mafia
- Borderlands
- The Darkness
- Carnival Games
- XCom
- Duke Nukem Forever
- Pirates
- NBA 2K
- NFL 2K

I don't think any of the big 3 would want to spend 2.5 billion dollars on acquiring a developer. The price is just too steep.

Actually that's a bargain.